Could Use Opinions on Shoulder Holsters/CC Plan

SmokinLawyer

I could use additional opinions on choice of shoulder holster for CC under tucked-in sports/dress shirts.
Although I respect all opinions, let's not waste bandwidth debating the givens:

Weapon is a Sig P238 .380 cal. Single action 1911 style pistol;
Shirts are oversized, patterned and altered for easy access to shoulder holster with fake buttons;
I'm 5'11” tall and weight 359 lbs, wear suspenders and no belt for medical reasons and am right-handed;
I have arthritic thumb joints and right shoulder joint;
Most of my work day is sitting at an office desk doing professional work;
I've been training with the pistol for 5 months and have previous military experience with the 1911 model pistol;
From experimentation I've determined shoulder carry to be the only place that's comfortable, accessible, concealed, secure, easily mounted and dismounted.

I've narrowed my choices of shoulder holster products down to two:

ULTRA CARRY Single Strap Concealed Carry Holster
Link Removed

Stoner Concealed Carry Shoulder Holster
Stoner Concealed Carry Shoulder Holster [S-Shoulder] - $44.95 : Stoner Holsters, The Right Holster for Your Gun

Any comments you can offer on either/both of these two products?
Any other SIMILAR products I should consider? Please don't suggest waist band holsters.
Any other details or advice on my CC plan, remembering the GIVENS?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions or information.

I've never been a fan of elastic shirt or bellyband type holsters. They all seem to sag, stretch, ride down, ride up, or find some other way of being uncomfortable. I tried a few variations on this theme with my old Makarov 9x18mm pistol, and didn't like it at all.

Have you considered a Blackhawk SERPA holster? Here's why I'm recommending it for your particular scenario:

- Push button "index finger" retention system is superior to velcro straps of the holsters you're looking at. Also, considering the arthritis in your thumb, this would be superior to a conventional thumb break as well.

- Kydex holster means easy one-handed re-holstering. Holster "clicks" nicely when the retention latch engages.

- They are modular, and come with paddle and belt loops, but ALSO you can get a shoulder harness for them.

Hope this helps.

[/QUOTE] Have you considered a Blackhawk SERPA holster? Here's why I'm recommending it for your particular scenario:

- They are modular, and come with paddle and belt loops, but ALSO you can get a shoulder harness for them.

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

I had not considered that one, Phillip. I wasn't aware it came with a shoulder rig. I'll take a look at it. Thanks much for the heads up.

I had not considered that one, Phillip. I wasn't aware it came with a shoulder rig. I'll take a look at it. Thanks much for the heads up.

No problem. :) As I think about it...another one you may want to look at is the Fobus Roto series. Very similar to the Blackhawk, except no button to push. Also, the Roto holster can adjust 360 degrees on the paddle / belt loops / shoulder rig, so you can get it to that "just right" angle.

I also carry a shoulder rig. Just curious- how did you get your shirt tailored? Velcro underneath the buttons? Did you take it to a shop, if so- what did you tell them? Ive thought about trying this. Btw I carry in an Alessi. Very comfortable.

My personal favoriate is the Fist #70 vertical shoulder holster, wear it for business suit quite a bit but can be worn under cover shirt with shorts.

Just had a local seamstress sew the 2-3-4 buttonholes shut, sew the button over the closed buttonholes with snaps behind. I experimented with velcro and magnetic closures first. The velcro gets all fuzzed up in the dryer and has to be combed every time and is much louder than snaps - almost impossible to open quietly. The magnetic closures worked well except that they have a weak lateral grip; hard to pull them apart but relatively easy to slide them apart. Snaps are cheap and reliable.

As for printing, the shirts are woven cotton (Cabelas) sports shirts, of a slightly heavier cloth than the average shirt. They're oversized and in various plaid patterns. The pistol is the Sig P238 weighing only a pound and was selected for this use. From what I've seen of the type holster rig I'm planning to use, I don't think the pistol will pattern at all. My main concern is that there be no bulging buckles or strap tracks across my shoulder(s) or back. There are things worse than having people realize you're wearing a shoulder holster; don't want 'em to jump to the erroneous conclusion I'm wearing a bra either!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back