Cop shoots man for reaching for his wallet

Cnon

Link Removed

Cnon

All that for a seat belt violation? The state didn't waste any time firing this trooper and charging him. I see a large settlement in this poor mans future.

Yet if it was a citizen shooting at a cop the charge would be attempted murder.

Either unfortunately or fortunately, depending on which "side of the badge" you fall on, LEOs are protected by what's referred to as the "Law Enforcement Defense/Justification". It's that defense that ensures that very few officers are ever severely punished criminally.

The only thing missing was STOP RESISTING, STOP RESISTING while trying to blow his head off. Sad thing is if not for the video the cop would have been given a medal and promoted.

Those silly guys.............Just trying to be super troopers with a vengeance. Ahhh, an illegal vengeance. I would say that I have lived in SC for over 25 years and never had any issues with SC Troopers. Have been stopped a few times in those years but they were always professional, to me. Here's one that ain't. I don't remember if a law suit didn't happen.

What a horrible situation for everybody involved. The civilian, while doing absolutely nothing wrong, was thoughtless with the manner and speed that he reacted in going to get his ID. It's obvious that the cop thought that he was going for a gun and had grabbed one. Had the guy grabbed a gun, the cop may have been hailed a hero. Unfortunately, he recklessly shot before knowing what was in the guy's hand, and if he feared for his life he should have taken a defensive position to be sure what was going on before starting a firefight.
He should definitely be held accountable and be disciplined. But, in reality, it's irrational to suggest that they charge him with attempted murder because it appears that he was (recklessly) acting in what he thought was self defense.

What a horrible situation for everybody involved. The civilian, while doing absolutely nothing wrong, was thoughtless with the manner and speed that he reacted in going to get his ID.
Of COURSE he was "thoughtless", he did EXACTLY what the cop TOLD hm to do. What would the cop have done to him if he hadn't gotten the license fast ENOUGH?

"Too fast", "not fast enough": There's ALWAYS going to be a "justification" for shooting the unarmed citizen.

If there's ANY fault to be found in the driver, it's that he trusted in the common sense and decency of the cop.

I have NO trust in the police and am VERY well aware of their various pratfalls which ended in the deaths of innocent citizens. That informs my EVERY interaction with them.

THAT, OF COURSE, makes me "paranoid" and a "cop hater".

But, in reality, it's irrational to suggest that they charge him with attempted murder because it appears that he was (recklessly) acting in what he thought was self defense.

Can you point to that part of the Constitution that says that cops have special rights to fire their weapons directly at a subject in a situation where an "average" citizen would likely be charged for attempted murder under the same circumstances? If the answer is "No, I can't" (which it is BTW), then Groubert should be charged with attempted murder. He's a servant of The People, not above them in any way, shape, manner or form.

Can you point to that part of the Constitution that says that cops have special rights to fire their weapons directly at a subject in a situation where an "average" citizen would likely be charged for attempted murder under the same circumstances? If the answer is "No, I can't" (which it is BTW), then Groubert should be charged with attempted murder. He's a servant of The People, not above them in any way, shape, manner or form.
At no point have I hinted that the police have special rights. The fact is, though, attempted murder is completely based on the intent to murder, and based on the evidence it just seems like the cop didn't go into the situation with the intent to kill the guy. It seems much more that he was grossly negligent and assumed and reacted completely incorrectly based on what he thought was some guy pulling a gun on him. I definitely agree that he face whatever charges relate to that, maybe something like attempted voluntary manslaughter (which isn't a really clear thing but they still charge people with it).
Here's a reference from voluntary manslaughter that makes me think this way... Imperfect self-defense: In some jurisdictions, malice can also be negated by imperfect self-defense. Self-defense is considered imperfect when the killer acted from his belief in the necessity for self-defense, but that belief was not reasonable under the circumstances. If the belief in self-defense were reasonable, then the killing would be considered justified and not unlawful. Where the belief is unreasonable, the homicide is considered to be voluntary manslaughter.

And, Deanimator, I agree with you, but don't understand why you cherry pick one sentence of my post out of context to prove a point. In no way am I justifying the cop's actions, I just desire that he be held accountable for his actions and intent; nothing more, nothing less.

I did had have an altercation at a local gas store with punks at a c/gas store. The boy was smoking at the pumps. His boys were leaning on his car with their cars parked close. I said "that if he wanted to blow himself up that was ok, but please put out the cigarette there are others that probably want to live". The point is he jumped into his vehicle, his back to me, and either put out the cig, or grabbed a weapon and slipped it into his waistband. As he removed himself from the drivers side window he nodded to his buddy across the passenger side and kept his back to me.
I step into my truck and figured since I started this interaction with a comment, I needed to leave. As I put it into gear his buddy on the passenger mouth some expletives and said you better go. (Not the words he said, ruder-cruder and more indignant)
NOW, I ain't no LEO but I saw where this was an issue for me. As for the LEO, he order the citizen who was compliant, then the officer feared for his safety upon the citizen obeying directives. Smells of law suit to me and should be prosecuted as intent to do bodily harm. (Check it out in SC Law. Lived there for 25 years)

I did had have an altercation at a local gas store with punks at a c/gas store. The boy was smoking at the pumps. His boys were leaning on his car with their cars parked close. I said "that if he wanted to blow himself up that was ok, but please put out the cigarette there are others that probably want to live". The point is he jumped into his vehicle, his back to me, and either put out the cig, or grabbed a weapon and slipped it into his waistband. As he removed himself from the drivers side window he nodded to his buddy across the passenger side and kept his back to me.
I step into my truck and figured since I started this interaction with a comment, I needed to leave. As I put it into gear his buddy on the passenger mouth some expletives and said you better go. (Not the words he said, ruder-cruder and more indignant)
NOW, I ain't no LEO but I saw where this was an issue for me. As for the LEO, he order the citizen who was compliant, then the officer feared for his safety upon the citizen obeying directives. Smells of law suit to me and should be prosecuted as intent to do bodily harm. (Check it out in SC Law. Lived there for 25 years)
I had a similar experience on the NYS Thruway rest stop. He was smoking while fueling-up his car. I asked him to put it out and he told me where to go. I simply reached-over and hit the emergency power-off button. Now he can explain to someone else.

I had a similar experience on the NYS Thruway rest stop. He was smoking while fueling-up his car. I asked him to put it out and he told me where to go. I simply reached-over and hit the emergency power-off button. Now he can explain to someone else.

Straight up gangsta right there, BC.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back