Considering changing my carry handgun

carracer

Since the tragedy at the CTC I have been seriously considering changing my carry from my LC9 to my 1911. I'm not confidant I am accurate enough past 10 yards with it to deal with an active shooter in a public setting. I realize that most chances are that anything happening will be a close encounter on an individual basis and within the 21' range for which we practice. My LC9 is great for that type of situation.

In a mall or open environment range becomes a factor. I understand shooting in a crowd at distance and the possibility of injury to an innocent. How do you determine the point where an active shooter rapid firing into a crowd becomes a safe shot? I don't think it is possible to find a safe shot. I think minimizing the carnage is paramount at that time while doing your best to be safe for others and yourself.

With my 1911 I could easily triple or more the accurate range.

Am I over analyzing the situations? I really don't go to malls very often.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know about you but I know that if your not comfortable with your current Conceal Carry (CC) that you may want to switch another another one that you feel comfortable with. I know this because I use to CC with a Ruger P95 (full size) for the longest time and I didn't feel I could successfully neutralize or even engage a threat properly using my P95.

I switched a Sig Sauer P250 SC and I noticed the difference in my drawing and accuracy of my shots. I would recommend one of the Magpul handgun classes to help you hone and give you advice if you are ever in that type of situation. One of the main things I always look for is "be aware of your targets foreground" this will help too make the proper decision if you can safely neutralize the target without any innocent bystanders being harmed from your actions.

I hope this helps

If you decide to engage a shooter in the chaotic mall situation all the considerations you describe are valid. The larger question though, do you believe you have an obligation or responsibility to intervene when you or your family isn't in immediate danger and can safely evacuate? I personally think not. My decision to carry doesn't consider the public's interests.

I believe if you have a Carry Permit and are Carrying as an American, you have an obligation to do what you can to stop a mass murder situation. I believe that the country is going to the dogs with personal and public obligation being sacrificed to the selfish. Your first obligation is to your immediate family, then to your friends, then to the public. Of course this is a personal decision. It is the type of decision that must be made when volunteering for the military and I believe it is the type of decision that should carry over to those who take the effort and expense to get a Carry Permit.

Well stated Jim.
OP, why not carry the 1911 and use your LC9 as a BUG?

Last edited:
Another issue is the size of the two. You are comparing apples and oranges with those two sidearms. If you do choose the 1911, ask yourself if you will still be carrying it all the time? The compacts have their place , and I have seen too many people choose to carry a heavier gun and then not always carry it.

Another issue is the size of the two. You are comparing apples and oranges with those two sidearms. If you do choose the 1911, ask yourself if you will still be carrying it all the time? The compacts have their place , and I have seen too many people choose to carry a heavier gun and then not always carry it.

I just purchased a Ruger LC9 because I fell into that category. I have carried a 357 magnum and a full size 9mm but would often not carry when wearing lighter clothing especially in Summer months.

Having the LC9 gives me more options for concealment and ensures that I will carry as often as possible without excuses now.

Nothing wrong with carrying a bigger gun though, they certainly do the job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recommendation? Buy one.:sarcastic:

But seriously, there are so many holsters choices and opinions it'll make your head spin. I personally carry an S&W M&P 40 FS in an Old Faithful IWB. Don't know what I'm going to do come warmer months, but it may still work.

I chose an iwb holster for my kimber ultra carry from purekustomholster.com. Exceptional leather quality and workmanship. With the Velcro belt attachments, there's nothing showing on the outside of my belt. It took a several days of trial and error, but I found the best position for me for access and all day carry is 3:15.

I just ordered (locally custom made) a LH IWB holster for both the 1911 and LC9. Will alternate between the 2.

Further training immediately.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back