Concealed carry question in Nevada an open carry state

Pitbull11

If you have a Nevada CC permit and you have your weapon concealed in a IWB holster with your shirt out and covering your weapon, is it a problem if your shirt might accidentally ride up and expose the fact that you have a gun, since Nevada is also a open carry state? I guess this question could apply to any state that allows open carry and your CC Permit is legal in that state. Have any laws been broken if your weapon is exposed?

If you have a Nevada CC permit and you have your weapon concealed in a IWB holster with your shirt out and covering your weapon, is it a problem if your shirt might accidentally ride up and expose the fact that you have a gun, since Nevada is also a open carry state? I guess this question could apply to any state that allows open carry and your CC Permit is legal in that state. Have any laws been broken if your weapon is exposed?

Unless there was an unlawful intention to threaten by exposing your weapon (brandishing), I don't believe you have broken the law in Nevada, or where I live in WA, which is also an open carry state.

I don't know the "lawful"answer, but common sense is what I go by and agree with response above. As long as the exposure isn't intended to intimidate what's the difference between that and open carry?
However, we all know that common sense is rare in this country now.

Not sure about Nv. but my understanding of law in alaska (which now does not require a permit to conceal carry) If it shows, it's a violation.

The requirements set forth in NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive have no mention of accidental exposure or printing.
I am not a lawyer by any means, but the way I view the laws, it should be no problem.

Link for your personal review.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRs/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3653

Edit to reattempt link failed... copy paste should work.

From what I've heard there technically is no problem. Unless you get some idiot from California visiting and they call the cops because they are frightened by the sight of a gun. In that case..you MAY get a disturbing the peace ticket. Or shot...google "shooting at Summerlin cosatco"

I just had this happen yesterday in New Mexico. I went to the hardware store and had my puppy with me. Well he doesn't like little kids much and there was a couple guys there with their kids. So I picked up my pup but didn't realize my shirt road up over my handgun in its IWB holster. Had some guy walking by stop, stare at me, then walked on. That's when I noticed it was showing. I just went along with what I was doing and covered up.

Not sure about Nv. but my understanding of law in alaska (which now does not require a permit to conceal carry) If it shows, it's a violation.

Your understanding of Alaska law is incorrect.

Alaska | OpenCarry.org

Alaska is one of our “Gold Star” open carry states. There is complete state preemption for the carrying of firearms concealed or openly. Open carry is fairly common and law enforcement is accustomed to it.

First, I am not a lawyer, but have been a firearms instructor. At face value the answer would be NO. Ah, now the second part which will repeat some prior exceptions and maybe add a few, and presumes that you have not been drinking at any point:
exposing the weapon in a manner to intimidate- brandishing a firearm which would go to circumstances of the exposure
was it truly an accident? or
one of 'those' accidents due to some duress or perceived threat i.e someone (or more) crowding you, or
are you carrying concealed in a legally (per NRS) posted zone?
are you carrying in a zone posted that does not conform to NRS signage requirements?
is it on private property?
are you in a crowded venue, like a soccer, baseball, softball game at the local park?
are you in the Las Vegas Metro area?
are you in a Costco? Hopefully the last two answers were a definite NO!

As long as your interactions with others have been mellow or normal, no loud voices, pushing, line cutting etc. the worst you'll have to deal with is some Fienstein devotees that get freaked out by the sight of an apparent non-cop with a sidearm, or a security guard that that is feeling his oats. The above questions each have about a dozen tangents they could branch into which could go either way for you.

Remember, everyone has accidentally exposed at least part of a firearm and pretty much the same for printing at one time or another as there are so many tells; the best thing is to safely carry at home using the holster, loaded arm and clothes that you expect to be wearing when you carry. You'll get used to the weight of the arm and spare mags, ammo etc., you will also become aware of movements that will print or worse. Have mirrors subtly placed so you can see your posture, movements and to help expose the weak points of what you are doing.

Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back