Concealed Carry Permit the Root of Gun Addiction?

Riverkilt

Yes, I know, you don't need a permit to carry concealed in Arizona. But I live just south of the Utah border and often travel over the line.

Anyway, until I was 65 I'd only owned 4 guns. A plinker .22 Winchester rifle, A 16 gauge single shot shotgun, my S&W LEO service revolver, and a PPK .380 when I was a traveling jewelry salesman.

At 65 I got the permit. In the four years since I've bought 26 firearms!! 26!! What is with that? Have sold off a bunch that were poor quality and reinvested in guns from manufacturer's who provide quality products...but still - 26!!??

Of course I'm not married......

I remember thinking, "Now that I have the permit I might as well get a gun I can conceal." (sold the PPK many years ago...)

Then it wasn't just little pistols and revolvers it was BIG pistols and revolvers...and automatic rifles...and a shotgun....and with the money I've spent on all the different gun magazines at the supermarket I could probably have bought another gun...and magazines that go in the guns....and ammo....and things to put the ammo in....and targets...and things and fluids to clean the guns with....

In fairness there is therapeutic benefit to range time...but there's also frustration climbing the learning curve of reassembly after cleaning....thank God for you tube...never seen a manual from a manufacturer that didn't gloss over the tricky stuff.

So now, in my 70th year....I'm practicing my Clint Eastwood and Charles Bronson lines....and I don't worry about anyone ******* with me anymore....

And it all started with the permit....

Good for you, nice story. I start my 70th year at the end of this year and I've got about 12 guns and rifles. Lately I'm looking to sell a couple and get another one. They are hard to let go of, they're like old friends. And oh, the best part, batteries not needed.:no:

Sounds like you're having fun riverkilt. Have you ever said this is the last one, or I'll keep this one, to only later buy another, sell one to get a better one? :)
Join the club! I've always had guns since I was a kid in the 50's, but over the last few years I've bought guns that I'd have never thought of spending as much money on. Ammo is another story. Have you ran out of places to store it yet?... No? Give it time. Hopefully you will. To me guns & ammo is better than $ in the bank.

For those who can't seem to understand, just ask how many tools they have in their toolbox. 1? 2? Plus, sounds to me like the last 5 years have been pretty fun!

The anti's will never understand our love of guns and shooting them. The only way I can try is this, "a man and his truck if I have to explain it you would still not understand!"

I have been around guns and shot them all my life. I do not have as many as some but would like to change that. I do not believe that anyone who likes guns can ever have to many.

It wasnt my CCW that started it for me. It was finally getting to a stage in life where I had some discretionary income that I could use to put towards buying them.

When I was shopping for a safe, my father's comment was "It doesn't matter what safe you buy, it won't be big enough."

-SF

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Doesn't sound to me like you're addicted, just having a good time. I don't have a CCW and I have several handguns, rifles and shotguns. Haven't hunted in years, but just can't let go of the long guns.
I think it does not matter what the "obsession" is as long as you're having a good time. Keep it up.

I have more than thirty guns. I have guns for hunting , cowboy action,civil war and 1700 period reinacting , target shooting and home and personal defence. I have traded up and made some good deals, but every time I trade or sell a firearm I wish I had kept it. How many guns do I need allways one more than I have. Such is the life of a gun nut.

My story is very similar to yours Riverkilt, only I'm married, so my wife owns the multitude of guns because I told her I bought them all for her. :)

I'm pretty sure she has caught on now after dozens of guns, because when I come home from the local gun range she asks me: "You didn't buy me another gun today did you"?

Me too....I think.....been 16 days since I posted this and I've only purchased one shotgun in that time....only one....hell of a deal....great price....went into the trading post to buy ammo...just happened to see this Mossberg Maverick 88.....on sale!.....I'll be fine...its just one more....

I don't have a permit, but my addiction for firearms is right up there with most of us.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Yes, I know, you don't need a permit to carry concealed in Arizona. But I live just south of the Utah border and often travel over the line.

Anyway, until I was 65 I'd only owned 4 guns. A plinker .22 Winchester rifle, A 16 gauge single shot shotgun, my S&W LEO service revolver, and a PPK .380 when I was a traveling jewelry salesman.

At 65 I got the permit. In the four years since I've bought 26 firearms!! 26!! What is with that? Have sold off a bunch that were poor quality and reinvested in guns from manufacturer's who provide quality products...but still - 26!!??

Of course I'm not married......

I remember thinking, "Now that I have the permit I might as well get a gun I can conceal." (sold the PPK many years ago...)

Then it wasn't just little pistols and revolvers it was BIG pistols and revolvers...and automatic rifles...and a shotgun....and with the money I've spent on all the different gun magazines at the supermarket I could probably have bought another gun...and magazines that go in the guns....and ammo....and things to put the ammo in....and targets...and things and fluids to clean the guns with....

In fairness there is therapeutic benefit to range time...but there's also frustration climbing the learning curve of reassembly after cleaning....thank God for you tube...never seen a manual from a manufacturer that didn't gloss over the tricky stuff.

So now, in my 70th year....I'm practicing my Clint Eastwood and Charles Bronson lines....and I don't worry about anyone ******* with me anymore....

And it all started with the permit....

So you've got 30? My thought is that if you know how many you have, you don't have enough.

Well...its up to 32 since posting this last month....couple of "deals" I couldn't resist...and some guns I "wanted.".......jeez...maybe I'll lose count soon....

Heh, I surpassed the 30-gun mark when I was about 22-23 years old... I'm not entirely sure of the exact number I have off the top of my head, I'd have to go around and count 'em. There's worse things to be addicted to, firearms fascinate me and I have no intentions on stopping at some arbitrary amount. If I've got the cash and inclination... I'm bringing another home.

How come no permit Chen, or is it not needed in Washington ?

I moved back to Oregon for a short time, moved back to Washington and decided it's my Right to carry so I did not purchase a privilege card again. No permit is needed to open carry. If I want to bypass the waiting period, my wife buys the item, as she still has her permit.

I moved back to Oregon for a short time, moved back to Washington and decided it's my Right to carry so I did not purchase a privilege card again. No permit is needed to open carry. If I want to bypass the waiting period, my wife buys the item, as she still has her permit.

Sounds like a straw purchase?
Just kidding. Do whatever you want. I've given a gun away to friend although they were Also perfectly legal to own.
I take it you never conceal carry?

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back