Concealed carry in a business suit??

Oh I gotcha Cam. well anyway i appreciate your comments and if you try a method that you really like, please pass it on to me.

First off, I am NO EXPERT : ) , but I just purchased a BushWacker shoulder holster this weekend at a gun show. They say it's like a belly band, only much better. It really did seem to be great for concealment with a variety of different guns. The gun would sit basically under your arm area. Obviously, this doesn't allow for a quick draw use, but unbutton one shirt button and you have access. Might not be ideal for you, but it beats leaving your gun home because you are worried about printing. Just a thought, and good luck.

If the width of the elastic band is over 4 inches the rig will show a crease. Wear it enough and you wlll see what I mean.

I have a model that I sell that is 4 inches wide and the velcro closure is under your arm opposite the firearm side.

The closure being hidden under your arm stops the closure from "painting" that you are wearing a holster.

Hope this helps

Pat Olvey
email [email protected]
Cincinnnati, Ohio
Hamilton County

There are a ton of options for carry in a business suit. The suit jacket is an outstanding cover garment which allows a great deal of flexibility. You stated that you typically take off your jacket while in the office and work in your shirtsleeves. This limits your options somewhat but the return of the suit vest opens up additional carry options while in shirtsleeves. Also provided your employer and coworkers are comfortable with having an armed office mate and you are in compliance with local laws regarding open carry it may not be as limiting as you think. As previously discussed the type of firearm will make a big difference in which options work best. A brief breakdown of carry systems follows:

Shoulder holsters including under the shirt types, advantages include comfort for traditional shoulder holsters but not so much the elastic under shirt types.
There are several disadvantages, like all forms of cross body carry it by necessity requires you to swing the barrel around your body and (like all holsters) requires some training in safer draw techniques. Under the shirt models including tuckable in wasteband holsters have access issues and can be difficult to get at quickly

On wastband is relatively comfortable provides good access but has no concealability with the jacket removed even with a vest and requires a good belt to make it really work well.

Worth mentioning here is the paddle holster while it tends to be less concealable than other OWB options as it does not pull the pistol as close to the body this does slightly increase its comfort. The paddle allows for easy removal of the pistol and holster and they can be placed in a locked desk drawer while at work in your shirtsleeves. With this sort of holster a good belt and or some sort of device for securing the holster in place is essential to prevent drawing the gun while still in the holster.

You mentioned in waistband carry. I personally find this works the best for me but everyone is different. Most men have a natural hollow just behind their hip but forward of the buttocks that provides a nice spot for a holster to rest. For me, I find that the 4:00 on my strong (draw) side with a 15 degree cant is perfect. I generally have my tailor add a small amount of ease to my waistband but not so much that I cannot wear my pants without the holster in place. There are some tailoring options which allow some considerable stretch to the waistband of suit trousers without resorting to an unsightly elastic waistband or those horrible tabs or side buttons like on rental tuxedos. Again a good belt is essential here.

The crotch carry methods (Smart holster, thunderwear) have some following but tend to work best with pants made of heavier fabrics like Khaki's or bluejeans and less well with the "superfine wool" used in modern business suits. Although vintage suit fabric or heavier fabric used by some made to measure or bespoke tailors would likely conceal this just fine.

Similarly pocket carry tends to work better with heavier weight fabrics. I am sure a competant tailor should be able to reinforce the pockets of your suits with some heavy canvas to improve concealment. Another consideration with pocket carry is that many dress pants have pockets that are parallel with the trouser seams rather than at an angle like blue jeans or khakis some pocket holsters that are designed for casual pants may not work as well in dress trousers.

A word about ankle carry, as a primary carry method it has many disadvantages including size limitations and severe access issues. Unless you are exceptionally flexible rapid access to your firearm is extremely difficult you must yank up your pantleg (not very discrete) bend over, reach across your body obtain a fireing grip and draw. It can be done, but takes practice to learn. Ankle carry is a great method for carrying a backup gun although having the weight of a firearm on just one leg can take some getting used to. And do not forget that like a bad pair of socks an ankle holster can slide down around your ankle proper like a deadly tennis bracelet gone bad.

Ultimately like everyone who carries regularly you will end up with a drawer full of holsters as you try various methods of carry until you find the way that works best for you. A final word about holster quality. Once you find a carry method that works for you, make an effort to find a holster maker that offers a holster that is for your specific gun that uses your method of carry. It can seem rediculous to buy a holster that costs half as much as your gun but the added comfort and security of a custom holster is well worth the price.

Thanks Doc and everyone else for the thoughts. Ya'll have been very helpful. I think at this point I'm going to go with a pocket .380 or 9mm and start saving up for a moderately size gun to carry when i'm in plain clothes. I really like the Kel-Tec PF-9 and the Taurus TCP. I have heard really good things about the Diamondback .380 but I have not had a chance to feel one out. Really wish S&W sold the bodyguard with that laser ... knock of $750-100 and sell a million of them. Has anyone carried the kel-tec PF-9? how is the size/weight over a full day?

Note to self: What posing questions or comments on a gun forum, make sure to clear up all grammatical errors and or typos. Hope the rest of y'all can forgive me. :laugh:

Actually it doesn't seem rediculous at all. Spending $500 for a Glock and not having a proper holster for it, so that the Glock ends up spending more time at home in the gunsafe sounds more rediculous.

The rest of your post contained a lot of good info BTW.

I should perhaps have rephrased that.

To someone new to firearms and concealed carry, it can seem rediculous. For many $250 for a holster seems a bit steep when a "might be good enough" holster can be had for $29.95

That being said, most who try my Milt Sparks Versa Max II after trying an over the counter IWB holster are often shocked at the difference in security and comfort. I am able to carry my XD-40 Sub compact all day without much trouble.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back