Concealed carry in a business suit??

rdrice28

Hi everyone. This is my first post and I've really enjoyed all of your comments in reading through the site. I know this has come up here and there on other threads, but I'd like to ask those who wear a business suit everyday how they carry. I thought about ankle carry, but I'm worried that my pants will ride up too high when I sit down. I only wear a jacket to meeting, so shoulder carry is not really an option for me. I don't really want to taylor my suits to carry IWB, though they less fitted between 5 and 7 o'clock Maybe IWB at 5 o'clock?? I would have to have my shirt tucked in, covering my gun. I would like to ankle carry, so please let me know those of you that do successfully/comfortably, I'm just concerned about my pants covering my firearm while I'm sitting down. Thank in advance for your input.

I carry my BUG, a SIG P238, right in my suit jacket pocket in a pocket holster. It doesn't print.

Primary weapon is a SIG P229 carried IWB at around a 4 o'clock position or a bit more, forward cant. But I'm rarely without my jacket on so it's not much of an issue. I have my suit pants tailored 1½ inches larger in the waist and that provides more than enough extra room for the SIG + holster.

It would really help if you tell us what type of gun you are trying to conceal while wearing a business suit.

Thanks for the response Felix. The reason I hesitate to have my slacks taylored for IWB carry is because I have to enter government buildings on a regular basis and it is illegal to carry there. I dont want my pants to only fit when I'm carrying. I appreciate your response however!

Kasper - I currently own a Taurus PT140, though Im selling it in the next week or so. I'm not comfortable shooting a gun that small and light in .40 cal. My wife has a Bersa thunder 380 and we both really enjoy shooting it, so Im thinking about getting one of those. Suggestions are more than welcome.

:pleasantry: Find a suitable pocket carry gun along with a holster ment for pocket carry. In situations like what you are describing I carry my North American Arms 22 magnum. Remember the 22 with you means more than the 45 at home.

SmartCarry

Check out the smart carry holster or thunder wear. I know it seems silly to carry a gun there, but it really works great. I carry a 1911 in a smart carry holster when I wear slacks or a suit. Other times I carry IWB. I work in a church, so you can imagine how often I have to wear slacks.

i carry my bug when in a suit.....it is a keltec p3at with a belt clip .....i just simply use the belt clip as a pocket clip.....

anyone who sees it might think its a pocket knife at worst.....but normally no one notices it....

ccw while wearing suit

It doesn't really matter if you are in a suit or sport coat.

The best solution for you is using a pocket holster.

There are pocket holsters for the smith 642 models with concealed hammers so you can shoot from the pocket in an emergency or you can carry a ruger or kel tec 380.

I would not recommend anything smaller than that.

NAA makes a 22 magnum mini revolver. I have never seen any figures on successful stops using that small pistol but some actual information from real shooting situations would be nice to read.

Pat Olvey
email [email protected]
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hamilton County

I suggest looking at the Ruger LCP or Keltec 380. Both are very thin (less than 3/4") and will work well in a pocket holster.

(I have the LCP.)

BushWacker shoulder holster might work for you

First off, I am NO EXPERT : ) , but I just purchased a BushWacker shoulder holster this weekend at a gun show. They say it's like a belly band, only much better. It really did seem to be great for concealment with a variety of different guns. The gun would sit basically under your arm area. Obviously, this doesn't allow for a quick draw use, but unbutton one shirt button and you have access. Might not be ideal for you, but it beats leaving your gun home because you are worried about printing. Just a thought, and good luck.

It doesn't really matter if you are in a suit or sport coat.

The best solution for you is using a pocket holster.

There are pocket holsters for the smith 642 models with concealed hammers so you can shoot from the pocket in an emergency or you can carry a ruger or kel tec 380.

I would not recommend anything smaller than that.

NAA makes a 22 magnum mini revolver. I have never seen any figures on successful stops using that small pistol but some actual information from real shooting situations would be nice to read.

Pat Olvey
email [email protected]
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hamilton County

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. On the North American Arms website there is a section telling about individuals who have used the NAA mini-revolver. Ther is also an article about the NAA min-revolver on a website called 'Snubnose'. I have in the past seen another list but Ive been unable to find the website again. I can tell you that Ive had to rely on my NAA 22 mag mini twice and both times the would be assailant saw the gun and ran without me saying a word or firing. I realize that other guns have more stopping power but sometimes due to what we wear the NAA mini is perfect. For instance a Hooters girl. I have read in several publications that in 90% of cases where any gun is drawn the BG backs off. Nobody wants to get shot. However make no mistake when my gun comes out I am not bluffing I will shoot. I also realize that while everyone has a favorite or in their opinion a best gun, in my opinion the 22 with you is better than the 357 you left at home. And yes they do make laser sights for the NAA mini. While the NAA mini isnt very accurate at 50 yards nearly all confrontations occur at less than 20 feet and at that range its deadly. And while Im not leo my firearms training was at a leo academy which was the same training anyone had to undergo to be a leo. One other thing I do practice with my NAA mag quite frequently.

If you're looking at getting something new anyway, why not get a pocket size 9mm? Plenty of good options out there and won't be the "big" recoil of the .40 s&w. You can find them in the same size as any .380 and they hold the same # of rounds in a given size magazine.
I'm personally a fan of Kahr's but you could check out Keltec's PF9 or P11, Ruger just came out the SR9c, Sig has the P290, Kahr PM9 or MK9, or even probably Taurus (I don't know Taurus models off the top of my head).
Add a quality pocket holster and you'll be good to go. No need to worry about your pant leg coming up when you sit down, taking your jacket off to reveal a belt or shoulder holster, or having to take your pants to the tailor to fit your iwb holster.

cam9910 -
Have you used you deep concealment shoulder holster much yet? I have looked at into those in my researching the different options and those seemed to be one of the better options for me. Please let me know how its working out for you - the pros and cons. I got the impression that it's design would hurt draw time, but I reckon I can always take it out and put in a belt holster when i have a jacket on and the shoulder band would be there when I need it. Thanks for you response and I look forward to hearing how you're liking the holster.

Like Felix, I carry a Sig P238. My pocket holster is made by Pocket Concealment Systems, Inc. PCS also makes a holster, the Tomahawk, which is specifically designed for dress slacks with pockets on the seam.

Link Removed

Virginia NR CCW Permit is NOT VALID in Indiana.
Spoke to VA Gun Desk they informed me there is NO reciprocity with the
State of Indiana whatsoever. Please update your maps.:pleasantry:

Virginia NR CCW Permit is NOT VALID in Indiana.
Spoke to VA Gun Desk they informed me there is NO reciprocity with the
State of Indiana whatsoever. Please update your maps.

Whoa moosebreath, Indiana honors all other state permit/licenses, including non-resident.

OTOH, an IN holder can't use his/her permit in VA since VA doesn't recognize the IN license.

Ah thank you!

Moose breath? hahahahah anyway thank you for clearing that up. I spent all day with a dozen or so agencies trying to get a correct answer.

Appreciate the correction mouse nuts. hahaha

Bushwacker

DRRICE: I haven't used it for real at all. I tested it at a gun show with a few different guns that were definitely not the best choices for a CCW (very Large revolvers including a Taurus Judge and full size Semi's) and it did a great job of concealment. I guess you would not have the fastest draw time with a tucked in buttoned shirt, but I would say it's definitely better then not carrying from concern of printing. In a tee shirt, this seems to give you fast access. I am very new to the CCW world, so please take what I am saying with a grain of salt...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back