Concealed carry gun spotted and reported to LEO

davb

What happens if someone figures out that I am carrying - legally, with a valid CCW permit - and calls the police to report me?

I have heard that this results in suspension of permit. True?

Does this vary from state to state?

Thanks!

This has gotta be a joke.
Joined 2009 then waits over FOUR years to make the 1st post seeking info about being outed as a CCer!

Something stinks of troll.
Instructor? I don't think so---- :no:

This has gotta be a joke.
Joined 2009 then waits over FOUR years to make the 1st post seeking info about being outed as a CCer!

Something stinks of troll.
Instructor? I don't think so---- :no:

AND He/She is an INSTRUCTOR???

Yes, It varies by state.
In my state Arizona, for example, Anyone who is not an unlawful possessor can carry openly or concealed with or without a permit.
In some other states if ANY part of the weapon or holster is visible, it is considered open carry and open carry is illegal even if you have a concealed carry permit.

What happens if someone figures out that I am carrying - legally, with a valid CCW permit - and calls the police to report me?

I have heard that this results in suspension of permit. True?

Does this vary from state to state?

Thanks!

Sorry, but your an instructor and don't know the answer to this? Somethings wrong here.

No, your permit can't be suspended for LEGALLY carrying concealed. What would you be "reported" for? Doing what your permit allows you to do? Even in non open carry states accidental flashes typically don't matter unless somebody decides your brandishing, which wouldn't happen with an accidental exposure. Of course it varies state to state.

If you actually ARE an instructor, STOP training people!

Nope. Not a troll. Just knew the answers to all the questions up til now. 😉 I posted the question word for word as the student asked me. In my state of Ohio a discovered concealed gun is considered an open carry and Ohio law doesn't regulate open carry. But several students with out of state experience assured me that a CCer who is outed to a LEO can lose permit. I couldn't say anything definitive about other states. Hence the post. Appreciate any and all contributions.

Sent from my iPad using Link Removed

I would tell them their not in (insert state here) anymore!

I assume you see why a 4 year old member with one post and an instructor badge looked shady asking that question.

Snatale42, yep. Sure do. Not big on forums. Thought this was quickest way to get feedback from other states. Should have posed question differently. More like, "Does anyone know of a state where a legal CCW permit holder could experience legal trouble for accidentally exposing a concealed weapon?" Better?

There is a big difference between printing and accidentally showing. The question could have been worded better.

Nope. Not a troll. Just knew the answers to all the questions up til now.  I posted the question word for word as the student asked me. In my state of Ohio a discovered concealed gun is considered an open carry and Ohio law doesn't regulate open carry. But several students with out of state experience assured me that a CCer who is outed to a LEO can lose permit. I couldn't say anything definitive about other states. Hence the post. Appreciate any and all contributions.

Seeing as how there have been several instances of arrests or harassment by LE for accidental exposure of an otherwise legally carried weapon, it doesn't seem so far-fetched to me that your original question was asked in good faith.

There's also a fairly well-known case out of FL where the guy was threatened with being shot in the back by the LEO who just happened to catch a glimpse of his concealed weapon. The original video went viral maybe a year or two ago (maybe longer than that, I don't recall exactly), but I couldn't find the original. I did find a mirrored post with it there though, and this can happen if you're in the wrong jurisdiction and/or get the wrong cop, so your students could have been talking from a position of actual knowledge, or they could have just been asking without knowing the answer, but here it is in any case:

BluesStringer, thanks for the reply. Aside from angry LEOs who overreact to the sight of a legally carried gun, have you ever heard of a permit being revoked for printing/accidental disclosure? Thanks again.

BluesStringer, thanks for the reply. Aside from angry LEOs who overreact to the sight of a legally carried gun, have you ever heard of a permit being revoked for printing/accidental disclosure? Thanks again.

Not specifically, but I do recall that FL had to write a new law (or clarify an old one) that made accidental exposure some level of a criminal offense. I'm not sure if the above video was what prompted them to change the law, or if that came after the change and the cop's utter disregard for the new law is what made it go viral, but I do recall that there was chatter about it after that video was originally posted.

I'll just say this; nothing would surprise me as to what stupid and unconstitutional laws might come out of a state legislature or county commission or city council chambers concerning the carrying of weapons. If someone can imagine a law like the one you're asking about, chances are that there are tyrants in positions of power who will, and do, impose them on their constituents. I think it was more or less an accident or just clumsy writing that made the law what it was in FL, but it was utilized by LE frequently enough that it got a fair amount of attention from gun-rights advocates and some of the more awake and aware gun-rights organizations. While I can't answer definitively that there is such a law in effect at this time, to tell you the truth, I'd be surprised if there wasn't somewhere. Such is the state of the Union that inspires that little confidence in the prudence and adherence to law of our government and police agencies.

Blues

Blues....

Help me out. I have recollection of reading somewhere that LE cannot stop you for the sole purpose of asking if you have a firearm. But I'll be damned if I can find that.

Do you know if this is a) true, and b) anywhere that I can find it.?

Thanks,
Wolf

Blues....

Help me out. I have recollection of reading somewhere that LE cannot stop you for the sole purpose of asking if you have a firearm. But I'll be damned if I can find that.

Thanks,
Wolf

You might be referring to Terry vs. Ohio which established the "articulable suspicion" standard for both official contact and "reasonable" searches.

Otherwise, I'm not sure. I've heard of similar-sounding laws, but I think they are jurisdiction-specific, as opposed to a SCOTUS ruling or a federal law.

Here in Bama the new law does state that cops can't use the open carry of a firearm as probable cause to contact or charge the carrier with disturbing the peace sans any other suspicion of an actual crime either having been committed, or about to be. But in relation to your question, both the old and new laws stipulate that if asked, a permission-slip holder must answer truthfully whether or not they're armed. Terry gives protection to both sides of that equation the way I understand it. The CC'er is protected because Terry stipulates that articulable suspicion must be present before questioning (contact) or seizure of any kind, but once that low standard is met, the cop may disarm the subject for his own protection. With that in mind, it seems like Terry v. Ohio may well be what you're thinking of, except I still think OC can be reason enough for contact/seizure in jurisdictions where that is spelled out in the law, or at least not specifically prohibited by it. I know CA's "OC" law specifically mandated that the open carry of an *unloaded* firearm gave implied consent to be questioned, have your hunk of steel and plastic inspected (seized), and/or searched by LE upon demand. Of course, carrying a *loaded* weapon by the mere subjects of state government was/is not allowed at all in most jurisdictions, and even where it is allowed, the local government/LE or the state can decree it null and void anytime they want. But I digress.....

That's the best I can come up with off the top of my head. Others may have more info on your question than I did.

Happy New Year,

Blues

Blues....

Thanks,
Wolf

Look up Terry vs ohio...

Also OP remember the Cop that went on a Rant with a CC'er that got the officer Fired in Ohio????

In most states, exceptions are made for accidental/momentary exposure of a concealed firearm. Check the laws of your state.

Does anyone know of any state where concealed carry is legal, and open carry is not, where the unintentional disclosure of a concealed weapon is illegal? In other words, are there jurisdictions where the legally permitted CCer must be VERY careful not to be discovered for fear of legal consequences? (We all know that there are good reasons for CC to be kept secret from others, but is fear of arrest or other legal difficulties one of them?)

BTW, I checked all the authorities I could find before posting this question and didn't find an answer.

Thanks for information!

Laws & restrictions vary way to much to know all of them. They differ from state to state and city to city in some cases. You need to focus on your state and the places where your students will likely be carrying within your state. You can get yourself into trouble by trying to give too much advice.

If you have students asking questions you can't answer with certainty, tell them to do the research themselves and have them contact the proper legal authorities that can help them.

The more you post the more I'm sensing troll; or the most inept instructor to ever visit this forum. I really don't mean any offense. But, you may need to give up being an instructor for a while; or at least until you get more instruction yourself.

-

Does anyone know of any state where concealed carry is legal, and open carry is not, where the unintentional disclosure of a concealed weapon is illegal? In other words, are there jurisdictions where the legally permitted CCer must be VERY careful not to be discovered for fear of legal consequences? (We all know that there are good reasons for CC to be kept secret from others, but is fear of arrest or other legal difficulties one of them?)

BTW, I checked all the authorities I could find before posting this question and didn't find an answer.

Thanks for information!

In Florida anyone lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, may briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back