conceal carry when moving

shorty1973

im wanting to know if my valid florida non resident cwl will be honored in arkansas and alabama and mississippi when traveling to florida? thank you......

The unqualified "yes" above is not necessarily correct for Alabama. It's not necessarily wrong either, but there is an AL AG's warning out about non-resident permits not being specifically addressed in our fairly new law, and there have been no court cases as of yet to clarify the omission.

Link Removed and all states that reciprocate with FL are listed with numbered references to notes appearing below the list of states. Also, each state's carry and/or reciprocity laws are linked there, so you can go directly to the source of each state's laws on the subject. Alabama has three notes annotated next to it (1, 3, 5), and number 5 says this:

(5) The Attorney General's Office of the State of ALABAMA has indicated that Alabama will honor BOTH resident and non-resident Florida licenses. However, the Alabama Attorney General notes that there is some uncertainty as to the limits of Alabama's reciprocity law as it pertains to non-resident licenses. Pending clarification by the Alabama Legislature or a decision by an Alabama court, he urges non-resident Florida license holders to exercise caution. Refer to the Alabama AG's Web page for the latest information.

The AG's website is here. I did not search to see if any updates to the above cautionary warning have been made, but I tend to keep up with this issue and since I haven't heard of any clarifications or court rulings, I doubt there's anything new to add to the above warning.

Blues

(5) The Attorney General's Office of the State of ALABAMA has indicated that Alabama will honor BOTH resident and non-resident Florida licenses. However, the Alabama Attorney General notes that there is some uncertainty as to the limits of Alabama's reciprocity law as it pertains to non-resident licenses. Pending clarification by the Alabama Legislature or a decision by an Alabama court, he urges non-resident Florida license holders to exercise caution. Refer to the Alabama AG's Web page for the latest information.

Blues

So basically the AG is saying "Yeah we accept FL non resident license but we might not accept it."?

So basically the AG is saying "Yeah we accept FL non resident license but we might not accept it."?

Hey, it's Alabama. Like I said, not necessarily correct, and not necessarily wrong.

The code section covering reciprocity says we accept all valid permits from any state, so if I was doing my due diligence and getting ready to travel here, I'd take that as a green light. All the AG is saying is use caution because the issue of non-resident permits has never been addressed by either the legislature or the courts due to the code section only being about a year old. I'm not saying it isn't safe, I'm just passing along info I found while looking for the code section to cite for the OP. Take it with however many grains of salt you wish, but it was FL's state website that I found that warning on.

Blues

What state of residence are you licensed in? You don't reflect it in your ID. Could make a difference. Also, make a call to the States AG's or whomever does CWP licenses and ask this question. Why rely on "Gee Officer, I read it on the internet".
BE Friggin informed, you carry you HAVE to understand different States requirements. OR don't and be a felon. The onus is on you! Juz saying.

What state of residence are you licensed in? You don't reflect it in your ID. Could make a difference. Also, make a call to the States AG's or whomever does CWP licenses and ask this question. Why rely on "Gee Officer, I read it on the internet".
BE Friggin informed, you carry you HAVE to understand different States requirements. OR don't and be a felon. The onus is on you! Juz saying.

You mean saying that someone told you so on the Web is not good enough?

So does your non resident Florida license say non resident or just state of Florida?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using USA Carry mobile app

So does your non resident Florida license say non resident or just state of Florida?

FL permits do not say they're non-resident. Though rare, cops who can actually add 1 + 1 might conclude that it's a non-resident permit though, because his driver's license will be issued from his home state.

I wasn't sure because I was a resident of Florida and got my ccw license there but now live in Ohio but still not 100 percent sure I can carry legally in Ohio now that I have a Ohio address and license.From what I read yes I can but Alot of people and sites say I need to get my Ohio ccw, but being that Florida and Ohio reciprocate.

I wasn't sure because I was a resident of Florida and got my ccw license there but now live in Ohio but still not 100 percent sure I can carry legally in Ohio now that I have a Ohio address and license.From what I read yes I can but Alot of people and sites say I need to get my Ohio ccw, but being that Florida and Ohio reciprocate.

Link Removed from DeWine's desk describing qualifications etc. for getting a license in OH. The only thing it says about new residents is this:

Residency
You must be a legal resident of the United States and an Ohio resident for 45 days before you apply for your license. You must be a resident of the county (or adjoining county) where you apply for at least 30 days. You also must be at least 21 years of age and not a fugitive from justice.

Now, it doesn't say that, as a new resident, you must apply for a permission slip once those deadlines are met, but here's the deal: Permit systems are revenue generators. The state has a vested interest in its own residents not having a way to opt out of the permit system if you're going to carry concealed. The same Handbook says this about open carry though:

Open Carry
Ohio’s concealed carry laws do not regulate “open” carry of firearms. If you openly carry, use caution. The open carry of firearms is a legal activity in Ohio.

So you can OC without the permission of any state's regulatory schemes.

My bet is that if you're going to carry concealed, after you've been there for the requisite periods of time, you should get an Ohio permit to avoid any problems with cops who might either think they know, or actually know, something that the Handbook doesn't say. It could be as hard-to-find as a court ruling saying that after the stated periods of qualification times, new residents are required to opt into the Ohio system. Or it could be that your non-res. FL permission slip will work fine. You are either going to have to contact an attorney or Dewine's office or your local issuing authority (I think it's your County Sheriff in Ohio) to get a definitive answer on that.

The bottom line is, ambiguous laws nearly always enure to the favor of the state. If you don't want to ask Ohio's permission to carry a weapon, your best bet is to get comfortable with OC.

Blues

My local sheriff's office lady said for sure I'm legal with my Florida license but I start my job Tuesday and I haven't been a resident for that long yet but I will definitely be getting my Ohio ccw

Ohio's open carry looks good, but isn't it seriously hampered by the fact that it's not legal in a vehicle?

Ohio's open carry looks good, but isn't it seriously hampered by the fact that it's not legal in a vehicle?

Same as here in Alabama. That's the main reason I keep a permission slip current at all. I just put on a vest before I get in the car and take it off after I get out. Sometimes I just untuck my shirt instead.

Doesn't sound like Droid is planning on OC'ing anyway, but another thing to consider is that in-state permission slips give a little lee-way on the federal 1,000' rule around schools, deferring to state law to decide what, if any, limits to impose. Non-res. permits don't qualify for that lee-way under federal law. 1,000 feet in any direction is a 2,000 ft. perimeter with you in the center. It's impossible to know at all times when you're 1,001 feet away from a school. I'd get right on that permission slip the same day you qualify for it.

Blues

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back