Conceal Carry Or Open Carry

I appreciate your view and tend to agree...concealed takes away a lot of potential issues..thanks!

I appreciate your view and tend to agree...concealed takes away a lot of potential issues..thanks!

Unfortunately, a concealed firearm does nothing to take away the major potential issue - the criminal attack. They have no reason to avoid attacking the person with the concealed firearm because they know nothing about the firearm. The best defense is for the criminal to have a reason to never attack you to begin with.

The best defense is for the criminal to have a reason to never attack you to begin with.
By that logic the best defense is to never leave the house.

But then again, you have the home invaders and burglars, etc. to deal with. Get a sign for your front porch "Guarded by Glock?"

Move to the wilderness and become a hermit. Then the FBI will seek you out to punish your potentially disloyal inner thoughts.

Good luck, Mr. Paranoid.

Good luck, Mr. Paranoid.

I'm paranoid because I carry my gun openly in a holster on my belt so that maybe the criminal might see it and choose to move on to another target instead of attacking me? How is it any less "paranoid" to carry a gun concealed in order to defend yourself against the criminal who chooses to target you? Your post was the most idiotic post I have read in a long time. I thought you got banned from this site a while back.

By your logic a person who locks their doors at night to keep trespassers out of their house is being paranoid because they are taking steps to avoid having a trespasser in their house rather than just being prepared to defend themselves against a trespasser once they gain entrance.

Why do you think you need any more publicly displayed criminal deterrent than the average citizen?

Why do you think you need any more publicly displayed criminal deterrent than the average citizen?

Why not take advantage of more publicly displayed criminal deterrent when the only difference is that I tuck my shirt in behind my gun and you wear your shirt over your gun?

If one way of doing something has more advantages to it than disadvantages then why not do it that way, especially when there is little to no cost involved? If there are two locks available for your front door and one lock has several features that make it harder to break in and the two locks cost the same, then why not go with the lock that has the additional features?

Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
The best defense is for the criminal to have a reason to never attack you to begin with.
By that logic the best defense is to never leave the house.

But then again, you have the home invaders and burglars, etc. to deal with. Get a sign for your front porch "Guarded by Glock?"

Move to the wilderness and become a hermit. Then the FBI will seek you out to punish your potentially disloyal inner thoughts.

Good luck, Mr. Paranoid.
Let me present some food for thought...

I'm an old fart.. a disabled old fart. Now suppose I park in the handicapped spot at the local Wal Mart and another old fart pulls in and parks next to me. We both get out of our cars at the same time....

There is a bad guy a couple of cars away looking for someone to attack/rob... and he sees both me and that other old fart get out of our cars....

And that bad guy sees I'm wearing a gun right there in plain sight and the bad guy doesn't see any guns on the other old fart.

Which old fart do you think the bad guy will choose to attack/rob?

Now if you say it would likely be the other old fart that doesn't have any guns in plain sight... which do you think is better? For me to not be attacked at all and go on with my day totally unharmed and not even inconvenienced because the bad guy saw my gun? Or for the other old fart to be attacked and have to pull out his concealed gun to fight off the attack and then deal with the police, the judicial system, and the bad guy's family/friends? Which would you prefer happen to you during a normal day?

But if you want to go the route of saying I would be attacked so the bad guy can take my gun... or that I would be shot first... be prepared because I, and perhaps a few others, will ask you to present cites and/or links to more than just the very few rare incidents known to have happened during the DECADES people have been open carrying in just Arizona alone.

Oh... and I sorta do have a sign outside my house for any and all burglers/home invaders. ME open carrying as I mow the lawn/get the mail/sit outside in the summer watching the burglers/home invaders drive by.... so what do you have at your house that tells bad guys it would be easier to just rob/invade one of your neighbors? A hidden gun no one can see so no one knows it's there?

By the way... I've noticed that it seems those who don't like open carry will start out commenting in a polite and intelligent manner but will quickly melt down into spewing ridicule and insults when their arguments are not greeted with the amount of adoration they think all sermons from the mount they deign to grace those poor unfortunate misguided open carriers should be honored to receive. Actually, to open carriers and also to anyone with even a scrap of intelligence, that whole process is not only grindingly tiresome but is just so annoyingly..... predictable.

Good luck, Mr. Paranoid.

So, I am paranoid because I carry my firearm openly and hope that it will deter a crime from being committed against myself and my family (protection from the criminal). Hmmmm..... so, by your logic, and by your logic only, can't we say that the concealed carrier hides their gun to keep not only the criminal from shooting them first (look at that, deterring a criminal action!), and also not only that but hide it from the anti-gun crowd (deterring them from taking some kind of action against them), and also hiding it from LEO officers (to deter LEO from hassling them about their gun). So, not only is the concealed carrier "PARANOID" about the same criminal that I am in, but they are also "PARANOID" about the anti-gun crowd and LEO whom they feel to need their hide their guns from! So, heck, kwimby, you appear to be 3 times as paranoid as I am!

I only feel the need to protect myself from one group of people. You feel the need to protect yourself from three groups of people! Good luck with THAT, mister!

Bikenut, I really like your comment, especially in the country, habitual criminals will drive by homes during the day to scope out their next target. I feel sorry for the person who may be at their home alone without a weapon.

Concealed carry vs Open is personal preference, and most of the time you will not talk one into the other, I started to open carry after many years of concealed, for personal reasons, and honestly its a bunch more comfortable especialy with a gun bigger than a pea shooter, most of the arguments both for and against have very little real merit, they are someones opinion..........

Open carry might be a deterrent to an attack, I buy that. Could it also attract an attack if someone wanted another gun? Or serve as a shoot me first sign on your body?

Open carry might be a deterrent to an attack, I buy that. Could it also attract an attack if someone wanted another gun? Or serve as a shoot me first sign on your body?
Those concerns about open carry are often mentioned yet if such things actually happened very often or with any regularity it should be easy to find examples of incidents with a simple 'net search since many folks have been open carrying for decades in just Arizona. But such is not the case since finding such incidents (actual and factual incidents... not a "My uncle told me once that he heard from some guy at work that he heard from his cousin...) is very rare.

And then there is the media thing.... wouldn't the media go bonkers with reporting such an incident over and over and over perhaps even having an hour "special" so it could be used to fuel the anti gun gun control agenda? Imagine Obama latching onto just one incident to push for even more gun laws!!!

Please consider that there has been so much open carry done by so many people for so many decades with "being shot first" or having their "gun taken away" incidents being so extremely rare the rarity of those incidents itself would point to the deterrent factor of open carry... actually deterring.

Please consider that there has been so much open carry done by so many people for so many decades with "being shot first" or having their "gun taken away" incidents being so extremely rare the rarity of those incidents itself would point to the deterrent factor of open carry... actually deterring.
Or consider that there has been so much concealed carry done by so many people for so many decades with "being shot first" or having their "gun taken away" incidents being so extremely rare the rarity of those incidents itself, even rarer than open carry, would point to no deterrent factor whatsoever for open carry.

Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
Or consider that there has been so much concealed carry done by so many people for so many decades with "being shot first" or having their "gun taken away" incidents being so extremely rare the rarity of those incidents itself, even rarer than open carry, would point to no deterrent factor whatsoever for open carry.
Wow... twisted logic there ....

If you had said....

-Or consider that there has been so much concealed carry done by so many people for so many decades with "being shot first" or having their "gun taken away" incidents being so extremely rare the rarity of those incidents itself would point to concealed carry has a deterrent factor.-

It would have at least followed a logical train of thought but when you jumped the tracks mid sentence and tried to diminish, demean, and skew the conversation from concealed carry to equating concealed carry's statistics to open carry's statistics... you exposed your agenda to bash open carry and not defend concealed carry.

And that type of pretzel logic is just a........... fail.

However, even if your statement were stated to defend concealed carry instead of hoping to cast doubt upon open carry it still doesn't detract from my statement:

Now let me address another part of your statement... that of...

Or consider that there has been so much concealed carry done by so many people for so many decades with "being shot first" or having their "gun taken away" incidents being so extremely rare the rarity of those incidents itself, even rarer than open carry, -snip-
Suggests to me that you have data available wherein you can make that comparison. Please provide cites and/or links to that data.

I said.. and you even quoted me:
And then you made this statement:
Or consider that there has been so much concealed carry done by so many people for so many decades with "being shot first" or having their "gun taken away" incidents being so extremely rare the rarity of those incidents itself, even rarer than open carry, -snip-

And now you want to try to avoid, evade, and redirect my request for you to provide cites and/or links to prove your statement that incidents of concealed carriers getting "shot first" or having their "gun taken away" are "even rarer than open carry"...

You were first out the gate with this line of reasoning, so by all means, YOU FIRST!
I didn't say anything about comparing concealed carry incidents with open carry incidents. YOU did... so feel free to....

Man up and provide cites and/or links to prove your statement that incidents of concealed carriers getting "shot first" or having their "gun taken away" are "even rarer than open carry"... or fade into obscurity as just another poster who tries to push his agenda with what he thinks is careful and "oh so artful" wordsmithing.

You were first out the gate with this line of reasoning, so by all means, YOU FIRST!
Now about the line of reasoning expressed in this post:

It doesn't matter if concealed carry has any deterrent effect or not... that still doesn't detract from the fact that incidents where open carriers are "shot first" or "have their guns taken away" are extremely rare and that the rarity of those attacks points to open carry having a deterrent value to prevent attacks. It that were not true we would have a plethora of incidents in the news and easily searchable on the internet.

It doesn't matter if concealed carry has any deterrent effect or not...
Nor does it matter if open carry has any deterrent or not, since neither can be proven or even marginally supported by any available facts.

I simply wished you thoroughly trapped into your fallacy of reasoning:

Unnatural Acts that can improve your thinking: begging the question
Thanks for taking it hook, line and sinker!

in conclusion:
...the arguer should not be granted the assumption that open carry deters, but should be made to provide support for that claim.
Which neither you nor I ever did or ever could.

Based on the fallacy of reasoning proposed by YOU: Begging the question.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back