~College Chancellor Takes Stand For Gun Rights~

The_Outlaw

~The Dude Abides~
Earlier this week, one professor at the University’s main campus in Boulder threatened to cancel his class if any students showed up legally carrying guns. Physics professor Jerry Peterson declared his stance during a faculty assembly on Monday.
“My own personal policy in my classes is if I am aware that there is a firearm in the class — registered or unregistered, concealed or unconcealed — the class session is immediately canceled,” Peterson said. “I want my students to feel unconstrained in their discussions.”
But on on Wednesday, Chancellor Phil DiStefano squashed the idea in a pointed email to faculty.
"I want to make clear that if the student carrying the weapon has a concealed-carry permit, the position implied by Professor Peterson’s comments directly violates Colorado law and the operating principles of the campus,” he said according to the Daily Camera. “On this issue, there can be no ambiguity: all CU-Boulder faculty, as CU and state employees, are expected to teach their assigned courses and to hold classes for all enrolled students,” DiStefano added. The Daily Camera reports that he also threatened disciplinary action for any professor caught cancelling class because of legal gun owners exercising their right.

Colorado Chancellor Phil DiStefano Tells Jerry Peterson He Can’t Cancel Class Over Guns | TheBlaze.com

Really hate pompus windbags... Overpaid zealots that have become so ingrained in the system that they believe themselves to be above the law.. Here is a better idea professor... If someone comes to class with a firearm just quit your job.... Instead of ruining others chances of education just leave. I am sure there would be someone else that would gladly take your position. Yet I am sure you feelings would quickly subside in lieu of a paycheck.....

Segregating all CCW-licensed students in one building poses a threat - someone who wishes to acquire a weapon illegally knows that watching that building's occupants carefully is almost assuredly a means of acquiring a weapon by illicit means.

Worse, it makes for "easy pickings" for those who would do harm to another - they know that there is no fear of students protecting themselves with lethal force based on where they live on campus.

At the same time.. well done to the chancellor for upholding both the law, as well as a common sense approach to what could otherwise have been a decidedly ugly situation.

campus carry

I'm back in college these days, on a "safe" campus... just as safe as Virginia Tech. If our stupid state government would specifically extend their firearms laws preemption to post-secondary campuses, I'd be carrying daily. If any prof decided to pull that stunt, closing down a class because one attendee is armed, I'd wilfully carry openly right into HIS classroom, and sit right up front. And watch him cancel the class..... then take legal action for failure to perform under his contract.

I'm glad this dean has put down his big foot. I hope this wimp of a prof is in mortal fear of his life.... a totally irrational fear, but he seems to have mental issues already. Well done, sir!!

After Columbine, Virginia Tech, that Amish school in Pennsylvania, Fort Hood, Aurura/Batman... you are now fomenting about having the armed individuals present and ready to protect? What, is some creep wanting a gun going to follow one student from that classroom to some dark place in the woods, jump him, take his weapon, and escape with it? The article does not mention segregating all the armed students into one place, either.. the entire campus is a safe zone, as lawful carry is not only legal but accepted everywhere. So, what makes someone wanting a gun illegally watch "one building"?
Further, I fail to grasp your point about "easy pickings" for those who would do harm to another..... how is an armed individual "easy pickings" for those wishing to do harm to another? Makes no sense.....

and you somehow think this prof cancelling a class on the basis of one lawfully armed student's presence would be "decidedly ugly"? How so? The ugliest thing would be the prof getting sacked for refusing to uphold HIS end of his contract to teach... and refusing to submit to Colorado law. The "ugly" would accrue quickly to his own bank account. Plenty of qualified profs casting about looking for a teaching position. If I'd been in that guy's class and learned he'd made a threat like that, very next day I'd walk in carrying my stainless Ruger Super Red Hawl in .44 Magnum, nine inch barrel, carried OUTSIDE my right side waist in a scabbard holster... with about three inches of impossible to miss shiney stainless steel barrel hanging out the bottom end. Who does this prof think he is, trying to deny MY right to be lawfully armed per the Constitution of the United States....... splain that one to me plaese.....

If the weapon is properly concealed, how is the professor to know who has a weapon without resorting to scanners, wands or searches?

What, is some creep wanting a gun going to follow one student from that classroom to some dark place in the woods, jump him, take his weapon, and escape with it?

No, little timmy, said "creep" knows that all the residents of building XYZ are CCW holders. That knowledge can be easily exploited - as I did, numerous times, in the military. Again - stop thinking simple cause and effect; the world isn't that cut and dried.

The article does not mention segregating all the armed students into one place, either.. the entire campus is a safe zone, as lawful carry is not only legal but accepted everywhere. So, what makes someone wanting a gun illegally watch "one building"?

From the article - copied and pasted:

Still, the university’s policy to segregate students in campus housing based on their concealed weapon status has gun rights advocates worried that university is creating a dangerous environment for both those carrying guns and those not.

Further, I fail to grasp your point about "easy pickings" for those who would do harm to another..... how is an armed individual "easy pickings" for those wishing to do harm to another? Makes no sense.....

Did you go to college? I'm thinking maybe not - that, or you're again thinking only a step or two ahead. In my State (Ohio), it is illegal to carry if you're drinking at all.. and most states that I've reviewed concealed carry laws for, there are generally prohibitions against carrying while intoxicated.. College students drink. I know that anyone walking out of building XYZ headed to the bar, is easy pickings.. there's a weapon in an unoccupied room.

and you somehow think this prof cancelling a class on the basis of one lawfully armed student's presence would be "decidedly ugly"? How so?

Decidedly ugly in that there's already enough silly business going on in the courts... As we've already had several people (Including you!) in the thread state, the prof claims he's going to cancel class if any student walks in, armed, and they'd happily walk in armed, just to see if he does it.. and if he does, proceed to hammer the guy legally. Then, we have a case of the CO Supreme Court's decision being flaunted in a state-subsidized school. Do you not see the potential for stupidity to ensue?

The ugliest thing would be the prof getting sacked for refusing to uphold HIS end of his contract to teach... and refusing to submit to Colorado law. The "ugly" would accrue quickly to his own bank account.

Again - stop thinking like a country bumpkin, you don't live in a world that simple.

Plenty of qualified profs casting about looking for a teaching position.

Oh, I agree. filling the professor's position wouldn't be difficult at all.. but the fallout from the whole shenanigans would be crazy. Prof cancels class, students sue, parents sue... and not only the professor, but the institution he works for.. then it turns into another one of these polarizing arguments that splits the country (like we don't already have enough of THAT!).

So... Yeah, I think the Chancellor made a smart move. Made it clear that "this is the law, and we will abide by it".. neatly castrating the opinion of the professor in question, and heading off any potential legal action surrounding the prof's stated intentions.

Sadly, I think that we're already too far gone. I wish that life were as simple as you seem to see it.

Although it is nice of the chancellor to put this professor in line, the chancellor is still against guns. He hates them. He is only doing what is required to keep his job by enforcing his campus policies, aka telling this professor to shut up.

He is not advocating for gun rights, so dont get too excited.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back