Cleaning a Glock 19 - Gen 3/4

GHF

I am getting my son one of these for his birthday.

I need to find out the peculiarities of these guns, so I can make sure he has the materials available to clean it correctly. I have never owned or cleaned any Glock.

We live in Florida and he will be carrying, so I am concerned with both post firing and day to day anti-rust requirements.

Comments, suggestions, do's and don'ts appreciated.

The Glock is one of the least tempermental firearms out there. I've known of guys that have gone 2000 rounds without cleaning and not a hiccup. Personally, I have gone 800 rounds before I broke down and cleaned it, and still not a hiccup.

For cleaning, unload the firearm, field strip it. Scrub the barrel with any gun cleaner (I use Ho ppe's Elite). Also, wipe down the recoil spring and the rest of the gun. Make sure the rail slides are clean as well.

This is very important, DO NOT OVEROIL! There are a couple of places to oil the Glock, don't oil any where else.

Here's a good link on oiling: Link Removed

This is also a good link on field stripping properly, cleaning, and oiling: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccw-lifestyle/cleaning-your-glock-made-simple-10-easy-steps/

So in essence, you need a cleaning brush (or Boresnake), gun cleaner, and oil. Instead of patches, I use bits of an old white undershirt. They work just the same and I have extras.

I have several Glocks, 3 G19s. The one I carry is the first one I bought in 2005. After I bought the second 19 I decided to test the first one. Dipped it in everything imaginable, mud, grease, concrete, and sand. The only thing that kept the thing from cycling was wet concrete. Strip it down, hang all the parts in the dish washer and turn it on. One drop of oil inside the barrel when she comes out, a couple of drops on the outside of barrel, one drop on each side of the frame rail, good to go. I carry this gun everyday and shoot it weekly, closing in on 15,000 rounds, never fails.

Oh, and it's a good idea to place the slide in the oven on about 200 degrees after the wash cycle then oil it down real good.

Has your son ever owned a hand gun? Glock's, and other similar semi-auto's are not difficult to break down and clean. Please don't listen to the crowd that only occasionally cleans their guns. I clean mine even I only fired one round. It's just good practice. If the gun is new, it will show the oil points. If it's a used Glock, you can go to the Glock site, and view the information. Rem Oil is a very good lube, as is many other high quality gun oils.

I am getting my son one of these for his birthday.

I need to find out the peculiarities of these guns, so I can make sure he has the materials available to clean it correctly. I have never owned or cleaned any Glock.

We live in Florida and he will be carrying, so I am concerned with both post firing and day to day anti-rust requirements.

Comments, suggestions, do's and don'ts appreciated.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back