Clarifications, Please

cmhbob

Sig fault.
I'll be spending the day traveling through Missouri next week. I have a PA non-resident permit, and I've read Missouri Concealed Carry Permit Information.

Under prohibited places, it lists "bars" and "Government owned buildings except public housing."

What's the definition of "bar" here? Does it include Olive Garden, etc, or just Joe's Bar?

Are highway rest stops prohibited or not? Ohio had a specific exception for such facilities.

Place that makes the majority of its money selling alcohol and offers very little food I carry at apple bees Fridays and other restaurants like that and never have an issue

(7) Any establishment licensed to dispense intoxicating liquor for consumption on the premises, which portion is primarily devoted to that purpose, without the consent of the owner or manager. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to the licensee of said establishment. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to any bona fide restaurant open to the general public having dining facilities for not less than fifty persons and that receives at least fifty-one percent of its gross annual income from the dining facilities by the sale of food. This subdivision does not prohibit the possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of the establishment and shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises. Nothing in this subdivision authorizes any individual who has been issued a concealed carry endorsement to possess any firearm while intoxicated;

Carry In State Parks/State & National Forests/WMA/Road Side Rest Areas
Carry Allowed in these Areas:
State Parks: YES 12.8.202
State/National Forests: YES 36.11.101
WMA’s: YES (After 3/1/11 Deer & Turkey Archery Hunters can carry their Concealed Firearm
if they have a valid Permit/License to Carry)
Road Side Rest Areas: YES

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/missouri.pdf

I'll be spending the day traveling through Missouri next week. I have a PA non-resident permit, and I've read Missouri Concealed Carry Permit Information.

Under prohibited places, it lists "bars" and "Government owned buildings except public housing."

What's the definition of "bar" here? Does it include Olive Garden, etc, or just Joe's Bar?

Are highway rest stops prohibited or not? Ohio had a specific exception for such facilities.
"Bar" as far as I know is a place where they sell alcoholic drink. I carry at Olive Garden but stay away from the alcoholic section, the middle section where alcohol are sold.

Here in MO, castle law includes your car, hotel, motel along the way you decided to stay for the night. Anything that is consider a "roof over your head" so to speak, you can stand your ground. It is your space, your private living space and anyone unvited is not allowed to be in it with you.

Hope this helps.

Please do not make the classic mistake here by taking information from this site or handgunlaws.us as completely accurate. They should be treated as informational in nature and may not reflect the current Missouri statutes that are on the books. The proprietors of the web forums and handgunlaws.us will not come to your aid if you violate the law as a result of using their information. Always, always, always go by the information available from the State and the Attorney General from that State.

Revised Missouri Statute search:
Link Removed

RSMO 571 (unlawful use of weapons):
Link Removed

RSMO 571.107 (where you cannot carry):
Link Removed
**NOTE** Public bus IS NOT on this list, it is covered under Missouri's Bus Hijacking statute. You CANNOT carry on a public bus in Missouri (this includes the Metro in STL).

RSMO 563 (defense justifications):
Link Removed

MoAG's website:
Link Removed

You cannot use deadly force to protect property in Missouri. (real estate property is completely different than personal property here) The line is drawn if you are present inside said property (your vehicle).

The rest stop question came up on Missouricarry.com some time ago and I honestly cannot recall the answer. Personally, I'm not leaving my firearm in my vehicle at a rest stop and I'm certainly not going into the confined are of one without my firearm.

The rule of thumb is that if their liquor sales is 51% or higher it is considered to be a no-carry location. You must also watch posted locations in Missouri. Businesses are not required to post every location accessible to the public, they are only required to post at a conspicuous location.

If you are asked to leave ANY location do so immediately and without argument. If you refuse or fail to follow an instruction to leave the premises you are then trespassing. Do that in STL or KC and they'll try to play the game of unlawfully seizing your firearm then follow it by telling you that it won't be returned unless you can prove you own it. Watch your 6 in those to particular cities.

Although Open Carry of a firearm is legal in Missouri, the municipalities can say open carry is unlawful within their jurisdiction. If you need info on where you can, visit OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! ... (OCDO) and do some research. Otherwise, simply carry under your permit to avoid an issue or a man-with-a-gun (MWAG) call.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back