Changing of the guard...

MHRDeadhead

After much deliberation, I changed my carry gun from a S&W M&P 40C to a newly purchased Ruger LC9. Don't get me wrong, I love the M&P...it's just too bulky to comfortably carry on a daily basis. I took some time to do extensive research and to try other guns, and I finally decided on the LC9. Other candidates were Kel Tec, Taurus, Shield 9 (bought one for my girlfriend for Xmas), Rem R51 (HUGE disappointment, review-wise), Glock G42, Sig, and others. The LC9 won out over the others through reviews, recommendations from owners and law enforcement friends, price of $329, ease of carry/concealment, and more importantly reliability. Sure the trigger pull is longer than the Amazon River, but after 100 rounds, I totally adapted. Fits perfectly in the small of my back in a IWB holster and it's lighter than the M&P40C by a ton. Eight shots from a 9mm is more than sufficient to get the job done....should the need ever arise.

Just my $.02 worth...hope it helps others make a choice. Or on the other hand, let the bashing begin.

Just ordered one this evening :) adding it to the collection, but also primarily as a CCW for my wife, who is finally getting around to applying for her permit.

Love the LC9 too.
Didn't think I'd like the d/a but the long pull is so smooth it gives me no problems.

Got a great deal thru Gun Broker. Turns out the seller was in "my backyard" so I just side-stepped the auction and went direct. $329 w/o laser. Have a laser for my SR45 and M&P 40C, so I decided against. Maybe an add-on in the future. Probably would be an advisable addition?

Fits my holster great, and rides in the small of my back with no noticeable bump under my shirt! Lightweight with full mag...doesn't pull my drawers down so that my shorts are hangin' out!

Good price from grabagun.com for the LC9 with the lasermax trigger guard.

Thank you
I'm newer to carry, Just this year. I have nice Ruger SR9, however, it feels a bit big for carry, Ill get over to to the dealer and check out the LC-9. I'm looking for something more like that, yet being new to all the makes and models out there, its good to read a review like yours.

We have been looking hard at a LC-9 for a while but my wife and I are used to Glocks and 1911s the trigger on the LC is a bit much, but it is fixable the trigger parts are available but with shipping and all the parts would be over $100 easy so between buying the gun, tax, backround ck, and the trigger parts, that's if you can do the smithing yourself you will end up with over $600 in a LC-9, so after looking at it that way the LC kind of losses its appeal, you can buy a officer size 1911 for about that much and it needs nothing and for a couple hundred dollars more, some real nice stuff is available, now if one was able to get one cheap say out the door for $300 or less then it may be a possibility.........

Yep, I'll agree...the trigger is the LC9's weak point. I did some drills at the range that required drawing from concealment and firing 5 rounds at 7 yds. Tried to keep in the back of my mind that this was a high-pressure, life-or-death situation that required accuracy and rapid deployment. The LC9 performed flawlessly and I was able to get all 5 rounds off with a reasonable amount of accuracy. The trigger pull/reset didn't even come into play...just squeezed off 5 shots like my life depended on it. Good drill to try, and it will help get you "in the right frame of mind" in a defensive situation....should the need ever arise.

Another contender, and it's still on my radar, is the SCCY CPX-2. Tons of good reviews, law enforcement friends carry them off-duty, and the price is nice. Have yet to shoot one, though.

We have been looking hard at a LC-9 for a while but my wife and I are used to Glocks and 1911s the trigger on the LC is a bit much><><><now if one was able to get one cheap say out the door for $300 or less then it may be a possibility.........

Agreed...I have an SR45, and it's a tank! Wouldn't think of using it for EDC...it's a range toy. Great shooter.

Glad to be of help, but the best advice on buying the proper gun comes from yourself. Make sure if feels "right", you can conceal it easily, and it's dependable. Read reviews on your considerations and if possible, go to a range (or dealer) that rents guns to try out before buying. After all, you wouldn't buy a car/truck/SUV/bike without taking it for a test drive.

Thank you
I'm newer to carry, Just this year. I have nice Ruger SR9, however, it feels a bit big for carry, Ill get over to to the dealer and check out the LC-9. I'm looking for something more like that, yet being new to all the makes and models out there, its good to read a review like yours.

That's the vibe I'm getting from friends, social media, and the news...in brief. As much as I love Cali, there is just as much to NOT love. This subject, being one of them. Pennsylvania isn't bad or great...it's livable.

If you lived in California , the choices keep getting smaller each month

Sig451911

If you lived in California , the choices keep getting smaller each month.

The main reason why I won't move to CA, despite the fact that I am working in IT and regularly get head hunter calls.

Decertified CA handguns: http://oag.ca.gov/sites/oag.ca.gov/files/pdfs/firearms/removed.pdf
Newly Added CA handguns: http://oag.ca.gov/sites/oag.ca.gov/files/pdfs/firearms/recentlyadded.pdf

Many handguns will not make the list though, such as Gen 4 Glocks or Glocks made in the USA.

I'm also considering a smaller 9mm, and leaning toward the LC9. However, any feed-back on the Taurus 709C. It's also easy to carry, plus it's double action/single action. That's the only thing making me consider it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back