Center Axis Relock - Your Thoughts?

Shootinjh

Paul Castle's C.A.R pistol shooting system is very different, just as Cooper and Weaver came up with "different" ideas. It is easy and fun to mock the "new" idea based on what we know thus far, but what if the world IS round? :)

I am new to CAR, but am starting to like it. it took me about 250 rounds to get even 'kinda" familiar, but I like it. It is not my natural and sole system, but I am including it.

For those of you that have tried at least 250 shots in the CAR style, what are YOUR thoughts?

Shepard Humphries

Okay, please don't flame me but...can you provide a link to what CAR is and if there's any video demonstrations? I sincerely would like to know more about this.

According to the website, CAR training is only available to LEOs and active military, and specifically excludes 'civilians'.

Rats!

The concept and specific techniques are useful in some places and situations and not so useful in others, like every other system.

Mr Paul Castle was quite a guy.
Agreeing with CR Williams, some specific techniques are useful in some places and not so in others.
So I'm thinking maybe this is a good plan... learn all you can from everyone so you'll have an inventory of tools to draw from.

I has proven very useful to me. I go through about 500 rounds a week, give or take, getting better at both the C.A.R. system and many others. Indeed a very good tool to add to the collection.

Paul Castle was a great instructor and will be missed.

I finally attended the level 1 class about 3 months ago. Excellent training. Admittedly, holding my XD40 that close to my face had me wondering if it would smack my face from the recoil. But after the first shot, I was a believer in this technique! It's great for CQC as your weapon is always close to your body. This not only reduces felt recoil, but also provided better weapon retention. What I really loved was that it allows the shooter to use either strong or weak hand with the exact same control and precision. By easily switching from strong to weak hand, you are able to defend yourself completely 360 degrees without moving your feet. Your body structure just won't let you do that with the other techniques, especially with Weaver. In two weeks I'll be attending the level 2 training. Really looking forward to it! If you're in southern California, training is offered through Civilian Arms Training Civilian Arms Training Source - Tactical Firearms Training The Director/Instructor was personally trained and authorized by Paul Castle to offer this training to civilians. I highly recommend everyone check it out. No, I'm not related in any way to this business. I'm just an extremely satisfied customer.

Last edited:
Mr Paul Castle was quite a guy. Agreeing with CR Williams, some specific techniques are useful in some places and not so in others.
So I'm thinking maybe this is a good plan... learn all you can from everyone so you'll have an inventory of tools to draw from.

Agreed!. Yes he was.

FYI, Paul never intended for the C.A.R to be the solution to all scenarios. The C.A.R is great for fighting at very close quarters, for highly trained professionals, leo / militaey/ security etc. He also NEVER wanted it taught to civis. Now that he is dead, it seams every swinging **** is "teaching" Paul's systems to whomever they want. I think it insults the man and the SYSTEM that Paul developed.

RIP Paul. Rest easy mate.

@ Standy, how do you know that "Paul NEVER wanted it taught to civilians"? Did he tell you that personally?

I'd really like to know how you know this.

@ Standy, how do you know that "Paul NEVER wanted it taught to civilians"? Did he tell you that personally?

It's a statment of fact Sir, not an opinion.....its based on my own personal conversations with him 5 - 6 years ago.

I know this from my own personal conversations with Paul 5 - 6 years ago....

I was one of Paul's Instructors. My instructor certification signed by him is on my companies FB page. Paul himself instructed many civilians later in his life. I had two in my explosives entry instructor class (ACE) with him. I even know of one civilian instructor of his that has a business in Colorado.
I teach a concealed carry version of Center Axis Relock to civilians in Wisconsin right now and I do so with his blessing and permission. In fact about a year and a half ago he was on my back for not doing it.
I guess he new he was near the end and wanted to share CAR with everyone.

Having said that, I have yet to have a person who took my class tell me anything but positive comments. That is from people who never pick up a pistol to a retired D boy (K-Bar), a retired SF operator (Hammer), a SWAT commander (Capt C.), and a champion Pistol Shooter (Dan L.). I have yet to hear a negative comment from someone who has actually been in a gun fight (not simulated) or someone who has taken a class.
Is it the end all beat all of tactics? Is Karate The best martial art? NO!!! It is a useful tool for your toolbox and will be there when you need it. You can never have enough tools and this one is essential as a screwdriver.

Roninworldwide, I do not doubt you or your certification. Nor can I comment on what Paul did or did not tell others, only what he told me in our conversations. I KNOW he wanted his system to live on, he truly believed in it (as he should) it is a great system and I also agree with you that "you can never have enough tools" C.A.R is one such tool. I just don’t believe it’s the only tool needed. I also stand by my point that since Paul has passed there has been an explosion of supposed "C.A.R" civilian instructors all claiming to be teaching civilians at "Paul's" request. This may be true, but based on my conversations and observations I find it hard to believe.

Timothy C George · Sabre Tactical
I read the threads & comments concerning the CAR system. I am a Tactical Firearms Trainer and am certified Sabre Tactical Instructor directly from Paul Castle. I"ve known Paul since 2007 up to his last few days of life.

Paul flew in from Tennessee and trained my Instructor staff in the CAR System. . We flew him out a few times and also hosted his stay for the Hollywood Red Carpet Shooting event created by Patrick KilPatrick which was a huge success. I am the one with Paul at the event while he was on the mic.
It is true what everyone is saying about what they know. If there is one thing that Paul taught all of us and grinded into our very fibre it is "Change of Conditions" YOU who have been trained by Paul knows what I mean!

Later in Life while Paul fought the hard cancer fight he developed the IPDSystems for the civilian sector. He saw a great need for all law abiding citizens to know the system because it SAVES LIVES! He did his research and showed how statistically both trained gun owners and trained officers can easily get their weapon taken from them in a close quarter situation. The CAR/IPDSystem increases superior weapons retention and better bone and barrel alignment with harmonious body movement while in that "OH BOY" moment. The result is much better shot placement and survivability.

Paul had a paradigm shift in his thinking. He saw a bigger picture, He knew that the system in the right hands could save lives. A few days before he passed, he said to me, "Don't let my life's work die with me" I am committed to his work. I am very glad to see other Sabre Instructors caring on his work across this Great Country. We train a large variety of officers from different agencies. I see more and more officers desiring to augment their tool box. Over the years we've exposed the system to overseas operators, ICE, Homeland Security, LAPD, O.C. Sheriff, Correctional Agents, U.S.Treasury Agents, Detectives, Recovery Agents, Doctors, Nurses, Dentist, Business owners & yes Ma & Pa gun owner defending the home.

I am the Director of Civilian Arms Training Source in Southern California and have been serving our communities for 22 years. CAR is another tool in your tool box not to exclude weaver or isosceles type of shooting. CAR is a system not a stance.

Paul left us a gift, Thank you Paul, you will always be remembered and near to my heart.
Tim George

Mr. George,
Paul must have thought very highly of you Sir. He was a great man and I am glad that there are those carrying on his work . Keep up the good work Sir.

RIP Paul.

agree

I was also in contact with Paul towards the end but only on the phone around two months before the end Mike N. was right there with him as well as Dave.
He did things his way and rightly so. It was his legacy. One thing that concerns me. What happens when we (Paul's Instructors) are gone? Will CAR die because we can not make more instructors? Will car die with us?
We should form a organization or association of all Paul Castle certified instructors and figure out what we are going to do. All companies should have the same standard and we should make more instructors (certified by our association) to be sure to pass on the torch. Right now we are doing things our own different way. I want a car instructor from California to have the same level of training as someone I make a instructor. A good example is I have an employee who is a Ranger type with trigger time who would like to help me teach CAR. He should be allowed to teach our classes. However there should be a standard so we all know he is approved and at the same standards as anyone else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back