ccw law

vhunts

I have a friend that got a drug charge when he was 17 and got it reduced to a littering ticket and he is now 30 and hasent been in trouble since. He wants to get his ccw can he? He has bought a rifle from Walmart.

All applicants applying for an Missouri Concealed Weapon Permit must:
•Be at least 19 years old. Members of the armed forces stationed in Missouri must be at least 18 years old.
This statement verifies the applicant:
• meets the age requirement.
• is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
• has assumed residency in Missouri, or is an armed forces member or
spouse stationed in Missouri.
• has not been convicted, or pled guilty or nolo contendre to any felony.
• has no weapons-related misdemeanor conviction.
• has not been convicted within the past five years of a violent misdemeanor.
• has not been convicted of two or more misdemeanors involving DWI or
possession or abuse of a controlled substance within the past five years.
• is not a fugitive.
• is not currently charged with a felony.
• has not been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces.
• has not been adjudged mentally incompetent within the past five years.
• has received the required firearms safety training.
• is not the respondent of a valid full order of protection.

So my friend should be good to go your saying? He said when his background check comes back at work its says arrest date and charge was littering. How should he fill out the paperwork if it ask if he has been arrested etc?

I am not a lawyer, Read the form and follow what it says, It will say within the past five years as part of the questions it ask.

So he shouldn't get denied because of his past drug arrest? Thank you for all of your guys help and input. I'm going next month to take my ccw should be fun and if he can my buddy will join me now.

First, a "drug charge" can be anything from a roach in an ashtray to mule'ing bricks of cocaine through a labyrinth of tunnels going under the border. Depending on what state you're in, the roach in the ash tray scenario might not even be a misdemeanor, or any crime at all, as long as the ash tray was on your friend's coffee table at home. Or it may be a ticketable offense, or a misdemeanor with the top charge being only 90 days and/or a $1,000 fine. In short, there's no way to answer what limits on gun ownership the drug-charge-turned-littering might've originally exposed your friend to, but being as he was a minor at the time, and being further that it did get dropped to just a littering charge, I can't imagine that it would disqualify him from buying a weapon by answering all the questions on ATF Form 4473 truthfully, unless of course, he picked up the garbage that he eventually littered all over Hell's Half-Acre at Alice's Restaurant.
ROFLMAO_emote_by_morima.gif

I would tell him to go for it, all they can say is no, my brother got into some trouble with the police back a few years ago also and I think that his was worse than your friend. He went and bought himself an glock 23 with no problem, although he haven't apply for his ccw yet, he also bought two shotguns so let him go for it.

I think It was less then an ounce of weed I don't know the actual amount. he said so it wouldn't have been a felony in Missouri. I just don't understand all the legal talk really so that's why I'm asking. Will he or won't he get his ccw here in Missouri. I know he can buy a gun cuz he has bought a rifle here at Walmart before.

He is just concerend bout getting the ccw, he has bought a rifle since his arrest with no problem. I just don't understand all the legal talk of will he or won't he be able to get his ccw here in Missouri cuz of his littering charge.

When I had my gun shop a 63 year old man came in to buy a gun. He filled out the 4473 form and was rejected for a crime he was charged with when he was 16 years old. He was ridding in a stolen car. It took him almost a year before he could get it taken off his record. A lot of red tape, to make a short story shorter he came back and bought a gun from me and passed the background check. Do not lie on the form when filling it out for the CCW

You never know what an examining authority is going to take into consideration on an individual CCW application - You just don't know! With this in mind there doesn't appear to be any crime of violence in your friend's record; and that's a plus. There, also, doesn't appear to be any ongoing abuse of either alcohol or drugs; so that's two more pluses. No drunk driving charges, no protection orders, and no unpaid alimony, or child support. Your friend appears to be in better shape than many. He should, at least, apply. What's the worst that can happen? He'll get rejected for one reason, or another; and, then, he can get himself a lawyer and continue the application process on appeal. Here's some good reading:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/missouri.pdf

What if the drug charge was not a felony and that's how his lawyer got it reduced to a littering ticket. Would he still b denied?

I think It was less then an ounce of weed I don't know the actual amount. he said so it wouldn't have been a felony in Missouri. I just don't understand all the legal talk really so that's why I'm asking. Will he or won't he get his ccw here in Missouri. I know he can buy a gun cuz he has bought a rifle here at Walmart before.

1-LM already gave you the list of MO requirements. You can check here to see if there's more helpful information than what he posted, but unless someone here is a lawyer practicing in MO, no one should be giving you a yes or no answer, but rather, should simply guide you to where you can find the right answers within the MO code sections on attaining a permit, and then you're going to have to read it and understand it, or consult a lawyer.

I would surmise that being able to buy a gun leans towards being able to be permitted, but it boils down to how much autonomous authority MO law gives the issuing authority, whether that's a sheriff or Chief of Police or some kind of commission, whatever. If the code gives the issuing authority wide latitude in taking into consideration long-past minor crimes, then your friend may be in for some difficulty, but since MO is a "shall issue" state, I doubt they have that much autonomous authority. Only the code and the issuing authority can give you the definitive answer to that question though.

Blues

So my friend should be good to go your saying? He said when his background check comes back at work its says arrest date and charge was littering. How should he fill out the paperwork if it ask if he has been arrested etc?
Tell the truth. Is there any other way? The background check will pop. If he tries to sugar coat the arrest he may jam himself-up. Tell the truth, the initial charge and the reduction. He's eligible. He should be fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back