CCW - Instructional OnLine

K-Products.US

Just Joe
Ok,
One can get their 4 year college degree without stepping into a classroom. So can a person wanting a CCW take the class portion on line?
There are several companies, claiming to be accepted by most States, however, I have found very little that it is acceptable for the CCW.

Those of us who work cannot often attend a Saturday and the other days are inot convenient either.

So, does anyone know if thay are legal an accpetable for the class portion (10hrs)?

Range time is 2 hrs and can be done on Saturday or Sunday or evening.

Does anyone know if it is permitted and acceptable?

Any NRA firearms training needs to be done in person. Most states will require training to be done in person I have yet to hear of a state that allows the CC training to be done online.

Any NRA firearms training needs to be done in person. Most states will require training to be done in person I have yet to hear of a state that allows the CC training to be done online.

To add to this, an email was sent to all the NRA instructors about not having an online course with the NRA name or instructor number attached to it.

"Some NRA certified instructors have created online firearm training programs, and have issued certificates to individuals that take their courses, using the title NRA Certified Instructor. Under no circumstances may NRA's name or your NRA credentials be associated with any online firearms training course."

HangIt I submit that the one-time "inconvenience" of the classroom portion is a of little relevance compared to the lifetime investment in legally arming (e.g. defending) one's self & family. My suggestion is to reprioritize those other things in your schedule that prevent attendance, just once, and get the classroom portion behind you.

Hi Samuel:
I'm not an advocate of taking a CCW class online (Academic Classes - Yes) however, this came up in a discussion group that I'm with (I'm an educator w/MA+ and an adjunct college teacher).
Now the cynical me wonders if the NRA (I am a member) wants control and the money regardless if the course/class can be designed in an effective manner. The Army and Air Force us online, simulators and one-on-one for combat training and weapon instruction.
A 10 hour class day... to me is a cram session and really may not be truly effective training. I wonder about knowledge retention is it short or long term?
But then again, I have not taken the class, I plan to in the near future.
Since, your an instructor can you give an overview and your personal take on the classes you have taught and the sense you have of the kind of students and their retentioin of the knowledge?
Given the authority what would you change?
I know I'm asking alot.... but I want to really understand the inner workings of why only 10 hrs and not more or less.

Thanks

thanks

Hi Samuel:
I'm not an advocate of taking a CCW class online (Academic Classes - Yes) however, this came up in a discussion group that I'm with (I'm an educator w/MA+ and an adjunct college teacher).
Now the cynical me wonders if the NRA (I am a member) wants control and the money regardless if the course/class can be designed in an effective manner. The Army and Air Force us online, simulators and one-on-one for combat training and weapon instruction.
A 10 hour class day... to me is a cram session and really may not be truly effective training. I wonder about knowledge retention is it short or long term?
But then again, I have not taken the class, I plan to in the near future.
Since, your an instructor can you give an overview and your personal take on the classes you have taught and the sense you have of the kind of students and their retentioin of the knowledge?
Given the authority what would you change?
I know I'm asking alot.... but I want to really understand the inner workings of why only 10 hrs and not more or less.

Thanks

thanks

The NRA Basic Pistol Class is a minimum of 8 hours. There is a shorter version called "NRA First Steps Pistol". The shorter version covers one specific firearm and is a minimum of 4 hours.

The NRA does not set the price of the classes. Only profit (if any) they make is from the sale of the required classroom materials. All "legitimate" NRA classes require the instructor to provide the students with the appropriate student packet.

Here's a general breakdown of the costs associated with a NRA class:

Required NRA student packets
Classroom and/or range facility rental
Firearms depreciation and/or rental
Factory ammunition (NRA requires the use of factory loaded ammunition for all classes requiring live fire)
Promotional and advertising costs
Refreshments and snacks for students
Administrative and other fees (some states like PRHI require a notarized affidavit for handgun purchase)
Labor costs for instructors and assistant instructors (if any)

With that said, I've conducted numerous classes for various organizations that were "sponsored" in that the students either paid a subsidized tuition or no tuition. Many instructors will conduct classes with a very lean profit margin. What is important is that the classes are taught IN PERSON, as that is the only way the instructors can properly evaluate the student's ability to safely handle a firearm. The whole basis of the NRA classes is to ensure that the students leave with the Knowledge, Skills and Attitude to safely operate the various firearms.

Hope I've been able to clear things up a bit.

Hi Samuel:
Yes, it does help and I can truly understand the evaluative process by one-on-one.

I'm a '69 Vietnam vet and one of my worries was about the "new (turtle)" guy with a loaded M16 w/a duper round behind me.

So, yes, I thank you for your input.

Joe

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back