CCW in the mail... Now the reality sets in

Mountaingoat61

After waiting 10 weeks, I called Utah BCI today to check the status of my CCW. It has been issued and is in the mail. I got off the phone and the reality of it hit me. I am really going to be carrying a loaded firearm everywhere I go now. It took a whole new mentality just to buy a gun and take the class. Now, that mentality is going to be refined even further with the realization of the awesome responsibility I'm about to assume. I've prepared for this for weeks, both mentally and in training, it's just surreal now that it's actually happening. I am excited though... but it will certainly take some getting used to. Just sharing my thoughts, feel free to comment. Thanks

WOW! 10 Weeks! Well, that means I still have about.....Oh.....6 more weeks. I hope not.:fie:

1. You will be self concious at first.. Try not to tug your over garment to constantly cover. Or pat your weapon to ensure it is there.

2. Act naturally

3. Always carry when possible

4. Never tell anyone you are carrying except as required by law

I recommend going to your local sporting or gun stores and trying to spot carriers and learn from their mistakes!

Thanks for the comments. Retired Grunt, good suggestions. I've been carrying on my property, which is legal here, to get used to the feel as well as to determine how/where to carry. After a few minutes I forget it's there even with a cheap Uncle Mike's soft nylon holster, which I bought to practice with. I'd never use that to actually carry as it's just not secure. I was torn between IWB right side and IWB center back. I've decided on right side and ordered a Kholster today. It was toss-up between the Kholster and the Supertuck. Hopefully I made the right choice.

After waiting 10 weeks, I called Utah BCI today to check the status of my CCW. It has been issued and is in the mail. I got off the phone and the reality of it hit me. I am really going to be carrying a loaded firearm everywhere I go now. It took a whole new mentality just to buy a gun and take the class. Now, that mentality is going to be refined even further with the realization of the awesome responsibility I'm about to assume. I've prepared for this for weeks, both mentally and in training, it's just surreal now that it's actually happening. I am excited though... but it will certainly take some getting used to. Just sharing my thoughts, feel free to comment. Thanks

Congrats! I just sent mine in to Utah, too ! Headed down to Oregon to apply for one of theirs next week...I will let you know how that goes!

Congrats! I just sent mine in to Utah, too ! Headed down to Oregon to apply for one of theirs next week...I will let you know how that goes!

I hear Oregon's a real b!†@h to get. From what I understand, you have to get one from each county that you want to carry in? Not sure if that's correct. Good luck!

Holster

I bought the kholster a year ago when I first got my ccw permit and although it may not be the best looking holster on the market I must say that I totally love it. I wear it all day long and don't even know it is there. Even while I'm at work and am not allowed to carry the gun I sill wear the holster so anytime i leave all i have to do is just slip the gun in and I'm ready to go. You may want to trim it to make it exactly the way you want it but once it is comfortable for you it feels just wonderful. Their customer service is fantastic too. I changed the cant and didn't get one of the screws tight and ended up loosing a screw and leather washer. I contacted kholster and asked then how much replacements would be and they just sent me a whole set of hardware at no charge even though I was clear that the problem was my fault.

1. You will be self concious at first.. Try not to tug your over garment to constantly cover. Or pat your weapon to ensure it is there.

2. Act naturally

3. Always carry when possible

4. Never tell anyone you are carrying except as required by law

I recommend going to your local sporting or gun stores and trying to spot carriers and learn from their mistakes!

Yea Yea. Amen..

I was told the 3 rules to carry by an issuing officer in the past.
1. Never carry it unloaded. May as well carry a bat.
2. Never remove it from the holster unless you intend to use it. It ain't a show and tell item.
3. Dead Men will never lie. God forbid you have to, but don't shoot 'em in the foot or leg etc. shoot center mass then pray.

Peace..

Also check out the CrossBreed line of IWB holsters. I love mine. It works for both my M&P45 fullframe and the M&P compact .40 that followed me home a few weeks ago.:laugh:

Keep us posted...
Peace...

UPDATE!! Utah CCW was in my mailbox today. 10 weeks and 2 days. I have a feeling the more Oprahbama screws over the country, the busier issuing agencies are going to get. Just my opinion. :hang3:

Totally agree with Grunt and 6shooter. Do not pat to make sure it's still there!! If you get in that habit it will be hard to break. Know it's there before you leave the house!

Another big one I agree with is it's not a show and tell item, if you remove it, it means you have to use it. Try to avoid removing it any way you can.

Stay safe, bro, and congratulations!

I hear Oregon's a real b!†@h to get. From what I understand, you have to get one from each county that you want to carry in? Not sure if that's correct. Good luck!

Mountaingoat welcome to the family. An oregon permit is not really that hard to obtain. You just have to go through a concealed carry class. Then the application process is done by appointment in most counties. As to having seperate permits for each county that is an absolute NOPE. IF your applying for an out of state permit you must live in a state that borders oregon. The absolute friendliest county in the whole state to get a permit in is Grant county, but umatilla county is not too bad.

Jerry: So I live in Idaho and have taken both Utah and Idaho-required classes (Idaho just requires a safety class). Would I have to take yet another class to get an Oregon permit?

Over time, that awesomeness’ will fade and so will your state of ‘ever-ready’ decorum. In fact, I get burned out to the point that I don’t even bother to strap the darn thing on. It’s just something else to haul around and the chance of needing it is fairly low. Still, it’s like a seatbelt in that the one time you don’t use it, you get nailed or come close to some ‘Murphy’s Law’ event.

Mountaingoat i would say no but i am not a county sherriff nor a lawyer and i don't play either on tv. But i am an instructor and i would say that your Utah class is very similar to the oregon class that you would take. The only diffenerce being a concentration on the Oregon state laws. I would advise calling which ever sheriffs office you were going to go to apply for your permit and let them know of your pervious classes and your valid permits and bring a copy of your certificates when you apply. If they allow your classes i would still recommend some time reveiwing Oregon law as there are some differnces in the states.
Of course if you want to take a class i can arrange one for you for a small fee... HAHA :biggrin:

Alright thanks for the input. "play one on tv." I don't think the younger generation would get that. Lol I don't have plans to travel to Oregon any time soon but I'll keep the advice in mind. :)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back