CCW in North Las Vegas

Z0_RICK

I am currently holding a permit issued by Metro. Recently in a discussion it came up that it is illegal to carry in NLV no matter what. I told him he was incorrect.This is not what i was told in class. We were told our permit is good anwhere in Nv. Excluding Parks,Govt,schools,etc.
I am looking for some clarification on this.

I was told that also in class. I live in N. Las Vegas but I have never heard of anyone having an issue when pulled over. I would like some clarification on this also.

I live in Henderson.

It is legal to CC in NLV. Nevada has a preemption law (passed in '89) that forbids cities from over-riding the state gun laws.

HOWEVER, I can assure you that you'll likely be hassled by NLV LEOs if there is even the slightest opening...printing, no blue card, etc. I have a good friend who was stopped at a routine traffic stop and detained for over two hours because the description of his weapon didn't exactly match between his permit and his blue card.

As you are likely aware, NLV is pretty much the dirtball center in the valley. Crime is rampant there when compared to other valley communities. The unwritten policies of LE toward anyone carrying a weapon make it a place where I refuse to do business.

(Does it sound like I don't like NLV? You're right.)

well lowjiber hi i was put in cuffs for two hrs over blue card blue card had a mistake on it and the backup office that stood over me told me that nlv has a law that you can not have a loaded firearm in city limts but that they did not use that law with ccw and after my gun was run at nlvpd the disp came back and said it was good it was a type mistake and i was told to get metro to fix it and that i was not to carry that gun until metro sent me a new card also boulder city nv is the same but bcpd will not give you a hard time if you have a ccw and you let them know when you get pulled over

Your best bet would be to do one of two things, if not both of them: Call NLV police and get the info directly from them. You could also contact an attorney that knows that cities weapons laws.

As far as Boulder City goes, their city Attorney General has agreed that the State Premption does trump their weapon laws. You can carry your weapon freely just the same as you would in Vegas and no charges would be filed against anyone that is found to be in legal possession of a weapon. Again, verify this information yourself by contacting the Boulder City police station or their Attorney General's office.

I'm not exactly sure why NLV feels that they can still charge individuals with weapon possession but it is going to take an arrest of someone in legal possession of a firearm for a lawsuit to occur in order to get this issue answered and/or corrected.

Your best bet would be to do one of two things, if not both of them: Call NLV police and get the info directly from them. You could also contact an attorney that knows that cities weapons laws.

As far as Boulder City goes, their city Attorney General has agreed that the State Premption does trump their weapon laws. You can carry your weapon freely just the same as you would in Vegas and no charges would be filed against anyone that is found to be in legal possession of a weapon. Again, verify this information yourself by contacting the Boulder City police station or their Attorney General's office.

I'm not exactly sure why NLV feels that they can still charge individuals with weapon possession but it is going to take an arrest of someone in legal possession of a firearm for a lawsuit to occur in order to get this issue answered and/or corrected.

A lawsuit has been filed over NLV preemption violation.

Link Removed

LVMPD had told me, as long as you have a CCW, you can legally carry in NLV, the sub-station at Lake Meade and MLK, are very gun friendly and very helpful with law abiding citizens carring

You're legal in NLV. The only law that's still in effect is Clark County handgun registration for residents. However, NLV is much like south central LA (i.e. Watts). There's really not much there.

hi may name is mark. just to clarify for everyone concerned about nlv i specifically talked to a nlv cop yesterday and he said that any law biding citizen can open carry as long as you have the blue card with the weapon that you are carrying. he said that the chief of nlv said not to enforce the law of not carrying a weapon unless of course they are a felon or any type of conviction that requires you not to be able to carry. i told him what i had and i had it on me all he did was run the gun and the blue card and everything was good but i wanted to make sure because where i bought my gun told me that i wasn't aloud to open carry because i don't have my ccw yet. any other question if i didn't clarify enough just post another reply or pm me. thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back