CCW caliber?

How do you feel about the Ruger SP101 hammerless? I wouldn't consider it for pocket carry but I have one and I like it a lot. It shoots 357 and 38

I haven't actually shot the SP101 series. I do own a couple of Rugers though, a GP100 with 4" barrel in .357 mag, and a MkIII 22/45. I like Ruger firearms a lot. Triggers can be so-so (except for the LCR), which can be a hindrance in competition, but not so much in a self-defense gun. But generally speaking - very heavy duty reliable firearms.

One criticism of .357 magnum ammo is that it tends to fragment on impact, rather than expanding and making one big nasty hole. Some would argue that this is a good thing, as more organ systems are disrupted. The jury is out..but the fragmenting (for better or worse) has been documented pretty well on the BrassFetcher website.

Your SP101 is the one with the 2.25" barrel, right? I imagine that if/when you shoot .357 through it you have a LOT of noise and muzzle flash. This is because the .357 magnum caliber was designed to be shot through police service revolvers, with 4-6" barrels. (Same issue as shooting +P ammo through a short barrel.)

For self-defense, I'd avoid the +P or magnum rounds and stick with a good .38 special hollow point like Link Removed. What little bit you MIGHT give up in bullet velocity, you gain in speed for follow-up shots.

Lastly - you might find it surprisingly suitable for pocket carry. Depends on your build and the tailoring of your pants. Always use a pocket holster though - don't just shove it in the pocket.

You already said the most important thing: "I like it." Presuming you mean you're comfortable shooting it, and are happy with its accuracy and performance...I think you have yourself a fine choice of carry gun. :)

PS - Those snobby fellows with hi-speed hi-cap semiautos might laugh at you for carrying a stubby 5-shooter. Pay them no mind. If they get testy, just call them "bottom feeders" (since the magazines of their fancy pistols feed up from the bottom). Gets them all riled up! LOL

(But seriously - make sure you carry at least a couple of speedloaders or speed-strips worth of spare ammo with you.)

As you said you are a big man, go for the .45 if it makes you comfortable. Asking a question of this kind of question might get you 10,000 answers but you will not learn what is comfortable for you until you really carry the kind of gun you will be comfortable with. No matter what caliber, try getting used to it. I am a petite woman with good working hands and my regular carry is a Glock 23 because it is what is comfortable for me.

Btw, welcome to this forum from Missouri. I hope you enjoy your stay here...

Last edited:
I am assuming you don't have money coming out of the wazoo like normal people so I say stick with the 9mm since it will allow you to shoot and train more often.

IF you do have a grand to spend, look at this pistol. Poke through the site for performance vs other 9mm pistols. Read the reviews of the people that are just now getting delivery. High power (uses +P effectively), good for pocket, low recoil. I am predicting this will be the ultimate pocket 9 for a while. I am waiting for mine. They have not gotten into 2010 pre-orders yet.

Boberg Arms

Use the search tool to find the answer. It has come up quite a few times.

To sum it up, whatever you can use the best is what you should be carrying.

A miss with a .45 has no "stopping power" while a well placed rock can stop a threat immediately.

Well said! However, what caliber of rock would you recommend?

As you said you are a big man, go for the .45 if it makes you comfortable. Asking a question of this kind of question might get you 10,000 answers but you will not learn what is comfortable for you until you really carry the kind of gun you will be comfortable with. No matter what caliber, try getting used to it. I am a petite woman with good working hands and my regular carry is a Glock 23 because it is what is comfortable for me.

Btw, welcome to this forum from Missouri. I hope you enjoy your stay here...

Yay! Another glock 23'er! See, Nebraskan's and Missourian's are chock full O' common sense!

Having said that, I must admit that when mode of dressing requires such I find it too 'chancy' to try to hide the glock, and an LCP rides with me. Funny thing tho, being paranoid such as I am, I will have the glock/SuperTuck in the bag I bring to work. (combo brief case & tool case). I just don't like walking into the house with less after being gone, ya know?

So anyway, +1 on the idea there about carrying what is comfy for you to shoot, and is as big both in size and capacity as possible. Funny how many of these caliber/gun choice threads alway's comes down to that, along with shot placement, wouldn't ya say?

I have a Sigma 9mm, and my wife has a Sigma. I wouldn't feel bad about carrying either one. For $300 it's hard to beat. That said, I've been carrying a Glock 36 .45ACP for quite a while now, and happy with it.

I carry a Smith M&P .40 compact. I can carry it in 9mm or .40 thanks to a conversion barrel and some 9mm magazines. Best of both worlds! Topped it off with a crimson trace and tritium night sights...love, love, love it!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back