CC Ammo laws can be crazy

davcommander

Here in OK, a person may legally carry a weapon that is capable of carrying different loads such as the Taurus Judge that can carry the .45LC or 410 shotshell. However if you have it loaded with a shotshell that has more than 1 projectile (Sabot/slug) you may not carry the weapon concealed. Why? Because in OK any weapon that fires a shell with multiple projectiles becomes classified as a shotgun. Regardless as to barrel length or if there is only 1 multiple shotshell it is still a shotgun and shotguns may not be CC. It is fine for home defense, but you just can't CC. Also here in OK a person my legally open carry anyplace they may be legally able to CC. BUT!!! they must also be licensed for CC to open carry. What are the crazy CC laws in your state? (Surly every state has got to have some sort of crazy CC laws.

One of my best friends wants me to move to Oklahoma and swore that the gun laws were few. I'm hearing more reasons why I would not want to move there. Anyway, the dumbest law I can think of here in Utah is that I could conceal a shotgun because of my CC permit but I can't conceal a knife that's considered "deadly."

In Michigan, you may Openly Carry a firearm (pistols/rifles) into a School building (with Concealed Carry Permit), BUT you can NOT concealed carry into the school.

Oh I see this thread turning into a festival of people just making up crazy stuff, especially when the first three posters don't provide any cites for their particular brand of crazy stuff.

As for my state, PA... we have this thing called a LTCF. In essence it is a request from our state government that allows us the privilege of a God given right. Does anyone else have that?

Seriously, every law that has any restriction concerning anything to do with any weapon is a violation of the 2nd Amendment and therefore is crazy. The 2nd Amendment is not just about firearms, it is about the right to keep and bear arms (any arms).

There are restrictions on how long a knife blade can be... I can carry a firearm but I cannot carry an expandable baton. Everything about all these laws is just bat-shiite crazy. Why fan the flames and get a contest going as to whose brand of crazy is the craziest?

When you think about it there is some sense to the nonsense. CC, IMO, means you are out and about in public and protecting yourself and others, with people around you. The idea that you will be firing off a shotshell with multiple pellets that do not just go straight to a target at a certain distance means that it could injure or even kill a bystander more so than a singe projectile. Seems to make sense to me. In your house, where, by definition, you are OC, all bets are off on what you have in the way of a firearm, its caliber, its ammo, and how you use it Sorry if I repeat, did not read all replies--just sayin

In Oklahoma there are only two different carry licenses. One is for revolvers only the other is semi auto or revolvers. And you do not need a seperate license to open carry. With that one license you can open or conceal carry.

Oh I see this thread turning into a festival of people just making up crazy stuff, especially when the first three posters don't provide any cites for their particular brand of crazy stuff.

As for my state, PA... we have this thing called a LTCF. In essence it is a request from our state government that allows us the privilege of a God given right. Does anyone else have that?

Seriously, every law that has any restriction concerning anything to do with any weapon is a violation of the 2nd Amendment and therefore is crazy. The 2nd Amendment is not just about firearms, it is about the right to keep and bear arms (any arms).

There are restrictions on how long a knife blade can be... I can carry a firearm but I cannot carry an expandable baton. Everything about all these laws is just bat-shiite crazy. Why fan the flames and get a contest going as to whose brand of crazy is the craziest?

Wolf, in re to your comment about a lack of citation to support my comment, here is my source: Oklahoma Statutes Title 21 Chapter 53 section 1289.18 Sawed off shotgun and sawed off rifle-defined-violations-penalties A. "Sawed off shotgun" shall mean any firearm capable of discharging a series of projectiles of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury, with a barrel or barrels less than eighteen (18) inches in length and using either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion.
This statue although from the 1971 gun laws is interpreted today to include the Taurus type handguns as I indicated. However according to the Oklahoma reciprocity laws for CC licenses from other states, if you have you license on you and this type of weapon is legal for CC in your state of licensure, you may legally CC it here. But I being an OK resident may not CC it.

SD - to the best of my knowledge, we have no silly gun laws. We don't really have a lot of gun laws at all.

Well, perhaps we have a silly non-law. With a CC permit, one cannot carry into a bar (over 51% of income from alcohol sales.) But there is no prohibition on OC into any such place.

When you think about it there is some sense to the nonsense. CC, IMO, means you are out and about in public and protecting yourself and others, with people around you. The idea that you will be firing off a shotshell with multiple pellets that do not just go straight to a target at a certain distance means that it could injure or even kill a bystander more so than a singe projectile. Seems to make sense to me. In your house, where, by definition, you are OC, all bets are off on what you have in the way of a firearm, its caliber, its ammo, and how you use it Sorry if I repeat, did not read all replies--just sayin

Or I could be OC outside my house in town, out and about. What do you mean "by definition" OC is only in your home???

Also, ever heard of a shotgun slug? It is one projectile.

Wolf, in re to your comment about a lack of citation to support my comment, here is my source: Oklahoma Statutes Title 21 Chapter 53 section 1289.18 Sawed off shotgun and sawed off rifle-defined-violations-penalties A. "Sawed off shotgun" shall mean any firearm capable of discharging a series of projectiles of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury, with a barrel or barrels less than eighteen (18) inches in length and using either gunpowder, gas or any means of rocket propulsion.
This statue although from the 1971 gun laws is interpreted today to include the Taurus type handguns as I indicated. However according to the Oklahoma reciprocity laws for CC licenses from other states, if you have you license on you and this type of weapon is legal for CC in your state of licensure, you may legally CC it here. But I being an OK resident may not CC it.

Thanks for the cite... I always find crazier, funnier in print. :smile:

So, in essence, if I were to carry my Glock 22 and use those .40 caliber shot rounds that are out and about now, my Glock would be considered a sawed-off shotgun. Very interesting. Disturbing in case I'm in an area that is snake infested. I'd just have to OC then.

However, my main point wasn't the citing. For instance the MI rule of OC in a school has been well-established on the forums. My main point was this type of question can lend itself to some tall tales. Kind of like the fish that I caught and each time the story is told the hands get further and further apart showing how big it was. :smile:

Again, thanks for the cite.

One question though. Your last sentence said if a visitor is allowed to CC that particular firearm in his/her state then they are fine to CC in your state, but a resident of OK would not be able to. Every state I have traveled in, I have had to follow the rules and regulations of that state. They have never given special dispensation for someone from another state and allowed them to follow the laws of another state. I'd be interested to see where that is true. Because if that is indeed true, that, my friend, would be the craziest law I have heard of concerning gun control and you would win the craziest law contest on this thread.

Or I could be OC outside my house in town, out and about. What do you mean "by definition" OC is only in your home???

Also, ever heard of a shotgun slug? It is one projectile.

If I am in my house, I can carry my firearm anyway I want. Touche--if you are on your property and are allowed to walk around with a firearm in your hand then my argument is not correct--personally, at least where I live, the idea of walking around outside on my property with a shotgun in my hand sounds reckless and stupid. As far as the slug is concerned--if that is what you want to use in a shotgun--have at it. I want to be sure I hit something if I am going to use a shotgun, which BTW would only be in my home and I am going with #4 buckshot so that one way or another some pellets (hopefully most) would hit their target. Slugs, I believe, are more for deer hunting etal--could be wrong but this is my reply and I stand by it.

Thanks for the cite... I always find crazier, funnier in print. :smile:

So, in essence, if I were to carry my Glock 22 and use those .40 caliber shot rounds that are out and about now, my Glock would be considered a sawed-off shotgun. Very interesting. Disturbing in case I'm in an area that is snake infested. I'd just have to OC then.

However, my main point wasn't the citing. For instance the MI rule of OC in a school has been well-established on the forums. My main point was this type of question can lend itself to some tall tales. Kind of like the fish that I caught and each time the story is told the hands get further and further apart showing how big it was. :smile:

Again, thanks for the cite.

One question though. Your last sentence said if a visitor is allowed to CC that particular firearm in his/her state then they are fine to CC in your state, but a resident of OK would not be able to. Every state I have traveled in, I have had to follow the rules and regulations of that state. They have never given special dispensation for someone from another state and allowed them to follow the laws of another state. I'd be interested to see where that is true. Because if that is indeed true, that, my friend, would be the craziest law I have heard of concerning gun control and you would win the craziest law contest on this thread.

This is found in the same statute: TITLE 21 § 1290.26 RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY
The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state, or if the state is a nonpermitting carry state, this state shall reciprocate under the permitting law of that state.
A. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed or unconcealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed or unconcealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must either be carried unconcealed or concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state.

One thing this has shown me is that I need to get in touch with my state elected officials to get this law changed. I knew about 22 shot shells but I didn't know other calibers also had them.

This is found in the same statute: TITLE 21 § 1290.26 RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY
The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state, or if the state is a nonpermitting carry state, this state shall reciprocate under the permitting law of that state.
A. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed or unconcealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed or unconcealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must either be carried unconcealed or concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state.

One thing this has shown me is that I need to get in touch with my state elected officials to get this law changed. I knew about 22 shot shells but I didn't know other calibers also had them.

My thoughts are more and more people need to be in their state officials faces about the illegality of the laws that are on the books. Fight the good fight.

One of my best friends wants me to move to Oklahoma and swore that the gun laws were few. I'm hearing more reasons why I would not want to move there. Anyway, the dumbest law I can think of here in Utah is that I could conceal a shotgun because of my CC permit but I can't conceal a knife that's considered "deadly."

North Carolina is the same way. Our permit is a Concealed HANDGUN Permit. Certain pocket knives are OK but little else.

Here in the "great" state of Connecticut there are a bunch of crazy laws. First we have a carry permit, open or concealed. You may only carry ten rounds in a magazine. You may have any size magazine in your home, and have it loaded to capacity. You may have a magazine at the range or your own business of any capacity, but it may only have ten rounds in it. You now must have a LONG GUN ELIGIBILITY CERTIFICATE to purchase a long gun, you must also have a AMMUNITION CERTIFICATE to purchase Ammo now. A hand gun carry permit does trump all, and you can still buy any of those products. REGISTER LARGE CAPACITY MAGAZINES and REGISTER BANNED ASSAULT WEAPONS must be done by Jan 1st 2014. A assault weapon is classified as any Weapon that has a detachable magazine and one or more "assault' cosmetic feature, i.e. pistol grip, forward pistol grip, flash suppressor, bayonet lug or collapsible stock. Here is a link with all the ridiculous other things they enacted : Link Removed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back