Carrying Weak Handed for extended perior

Icemanii

So, due to having to finally get some extensive work done surgically, will be forced to carry weak hand for 6 to 8 weeks minimum. Anyone ever go thru this? Going to have to get a new holster, other than that, just the fact don't practice as much as I should is the main concerns I think.

Any thoughts?

Agree with the practice more, but it is going to feel strange to carry opposite. Most times weak hand practice is still using the same gear, I am looking at switching over for a few months.

You didn't say which is your weak hand, so assuming it's your left, I would suggest you find a lefty Firearm Instructor and have him take you to the range. He could help show you how to shoot more effectively than just trying to figure it out yourself. Good luck, and get well.

I'd suggest buying one of the inexpensive, well, less expensive Fobus (they aren't as cheap as they used to be) holsters since you know that you are probably going to be going back to right handed carry as soon as possible.
As far as practice goes, I'd recommend putting in a fair amount of dry fire practice before going to the range. Draw, fire, pause, re-holster, the repetition will help build muscle memory. Go slow at first, get the draw sequence down pat, once that's done you can start building speed. Slow and right is better than fast and wrong.
Good Luck.

I had same thing last year, due to carpal tunnel and thumb surgery. I bought a left hand holster practiced for about a month, and carried that way for almost 4 months. I got used to shooting one handed, cause for 2.5 months I couldn't even use my right hand for support. I felt comfortable and safe carrying this way. If you practice before hand, or even rite after the surgery you should be okay.

Make sure you practice drawing from the holster over and over and over again, until it's just as smooth as with your strong hand.

Do I need to mention do this unloaded?

Also, around the house, hold it in your hand for long periods of time. Get it to feel comfortable in that hand.

I am getting over elbow surgery. My Remora holster for my LC9 is pretty ambidextrous, as is my pocket holster for my LCP. No problem switching. As far as the range goes, for years, with no plan of losing use of an arm for an extended period, I ALWAYS shoot at least one magazine with my weak hand (unsupported). You never know what might cause you to need to shift hands, whether an injury during a fight, or simply having better cover/concealment shooting off-hand.
-
Those of you that haven't thought of it, I would consider giving it a try. If I go through a box of ammo, I shoot the bulk of it strong hand unsupported, one mag supported, and one mag off-hand. Here's a post from right before I had surgery. Except for my daughters 6 (circled) shots, these were all left hand unsupported. I wanted to go see how it felt after shooting more than one mag.
http://www.usacarry.com/forums/hand...-safety-post483283.html?highlight=#post483283

I do practice shooting weak hand, but as a few of you pointed out, it is carrying it that is awkward. Lots of people practice shooting weak handed and such, but rarely do you hear about someone switching carry that way.
Wolf-fire, will be practicing drawing as you say, wish I'd had more time to prep, but that is how it goes at times. Fortunate that my normal carry is left-handed, so easy to find right hand gear to use.

Thanks for the insight all of you

So surgery is over, home recovering. practiced again this AM drawing, not as happy/comfortable with my holster, going to look for a different one. No live fire yet, as still have pain pump in, but that comes out tomorrow. Already talked to local range, ok with the sling for shooting.

My bit of advice...get out of the mentality of thinking you have a weak hand. You have a reactionary hand, a left hand, a secondary hand, what have you, just stop thinking its weak. Attitude is going to be a big role in your recovery, good luck practicing and I hope you get up to speed on your off hand skills.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

My bit of advice...get out of the mentality of thinking you have a weak hand. You have a reactionary hand, a left hand, a secondary hand, what have you, just stop thinking its weak. Attitude is going to be a big role in your recovery, good luck practicing and I hope you get up to speed on your off hand skills.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Agree with Firefighter 100%. I am left handed and mostly CC left handed but on occasion and with a couple different pistols/ holsters will switch to right handed. I do practice at the range when able to go my weak hand shooting. Groupings are not the best and will not brag about but guaranteed they would would ruin a BG's day. Really sorry to hear about surgery and your concern is accurate. Try it, Practice, I think you'll be surprised. Get well soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back