carrying expandible baton where pistols arent allowed.

tactical85

I am trying to find out the legality of carrying an expandable baton in NC, I carry a pistol daily but of course there are some places that won't allow that like parks and so on but I would like to carry something at least; so my question here is can I carry an ASP baton in places that normally don't allow handguns, I do have a ccw. I am looking for hard facts here, not opinions please. I have looked at the NC carry laws and batons aren't mentioned that I can find.

You should check with your local law enforcement office to check for that. Because some states it is a felony to just posses a baton or expandable baton.

I am trying to find out the legality of carrying an expandable baton in NC, I carry a pistol daily but of course there are some places that won't allow that like parks and so on but I would like to carry something at least; so my question here is can I carry an ASP baton in places that normally don't allow handguns, I do have a ccw. I am looking for hard facts here, not opinions please. I have looked at the NC carry laws and batons aren't mentioned that I can find.

An Expandable Baton is a Weapon. Period. It has no other use. I'll bet a dollar that somewhere in the NC Code is a reference to "weapon" or "weapons" even if "baton" isn't mentioned exactly. You. Should consider learning how to use a Ball Point Pen or a rolled up Magazine as a weapon.

An Expandable Baton is a Weapon. Period. It has no other use. I'll bet a dollar that somewhere in the NC Code is a reference to "weapon" or "weapons" even if "baton" isn't mentioned exactly. You. Should consider learning how to use a Ball Point Pen or a rolled up Magazine as a weapon.

I'd rather use one of my Farrier rasp as a weapon if it come down to using a magazine or a pen.

A rolled up magazine (if held properly) is just as effective a poking weapon as a Policeman's Baton.

In some respects: a Pen is even better.

Very few people will think twice about someone carrying their favorite magazine, just in case they get bored. And a pen or two in the pocket never arouses suspicion.

Carrying a toolbox around isn't practical unless you're on the job.

And carrying a pistol in a forbidden area is a crime.

Even when I went to Jury Duty they didn't confiscate my magazine or my pen.

I have developed a terrible "knee pain" and need a walking cane when I go to the court house, etc. Those tactical pens are about $8 but a plain straight walled "Bic" pen will do the same thing. Keeping an eye open for potential weapons you can use or places that can shelter you should be a drill we use where ever we are.

I use a Arkansas Hickory Root cane to walk with and as such I've taken a self defense course which utilizes the cane as a defensive tool, so I have no need for your expandable baton. But I would assume you would have to be "certified" to use one in NC, we did when I worked Contract Security...

You should check with your local law enforcement office to check for that. Because some states it is a felony to just posses a baton or expandable baton.

I think he is asking about NC, not the other 49 states. In some states it is illegal to tie an alligator to a fire hydrant. Not in NC though.

The catch-all in NC is the statute banning guns is usually worded to include "or other dangerous weapon" in the clause, which might be loosely interpreted to mean an ASP baton.

The pen is a good idea, I've seen "tactical pens" before that were designed for self defense.
One of the best is a good ol fashioned rat-tail comb. Kind of hard to find nowadays, but theres a few companies that manufacture the aluminum ones. It's just a comb...Until you turn it around and use it like an icepick!

A car key with the big plastic at the key ring part. It's just about as great as a push knife...can do serious damage and its with you all the time. One hit is all u need.
I worked 30 years with the nc state prison dept. and i can say that a lead pencil is deadly also along with a ink pen.

The catch-all in NC is the statute banning guns is usually worded to include "or other dangerous weapon" in the clause, which might be loosely interpreted to mean an ASP baton.

Agreed. Why not carry a 3 or 4 D cell Mag lite. Nothing to explain.

I see you are from Ashville, you say you have a ccw. If your permit is from NC, then you DO NOT have a ccw, you have a CHP. Look at your permit, it will say it on your card. Concealed Handgun Permit. It permits you to carry a concealed handgun only. Now with that said, there is no laws against openly carrying weapons (TO MY KNOWLEDGE) there shouldnt be an issue with OCing a baton, but then most places that dont allow firearms dont allow any weapons....

Consult a lawyer and you will probably find batons are illegal. Most cities ban them under prohibited weapons-except by law enforcement and security personel.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back