Carrying convenience store clerk drives off bad guy...

E

ezkl2230

On 07/15/14, a masked bad guy carrying a revolver robbed a shell station in Norton Shores, MI, taking the cash from the register then taking the clerk into the back room to fill his backpack with cigarettes. At some point in the back room, the clerk pulled out his own semi-auto and fired 10 shots at the bad guy, driving him out of the store. It is still not known if the bad guy was hit, but the bad guy can be seen losing one of his shoes in his scramble to get out of the store alive. So far, the clerk still has his job. Let's hope he keeps it.

[video=youtube;kRuhLYLjDOQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kRuhLYLjDOQ[/video]

Video of Shell gas station clerk firing shots at masked, armed suspect released by police | MLive.com

Looks like he got away with some goods, that's too bad. He shoulda landed his first few shots in the back room.

Also, I hope for the cashier's sake that the last shot did not hit because I'm not sure how well it would end for him if he was charged for shooting a fleeing person in the back.

I would have stated that the robber threatened to retrieve a shot gun from his car and kill me.... and I believed him.

Stewi-Y, I have posted before several times, Michigan has the fleeing felon rule. Michigan recognizes the right to use force up to and including lethal to prevent a felon from fleeing the scene of his crime.

Howdy stewie,

Looks like he got away with some goods, that's too bad. He shoulda landed his first few shots in the back room.

Also, I hope for the cashier's sake that the last shot did not hit because I'm not sure how well it would end for him if he was charged for shooting a fleeing person in the back.

Ain't no such thing as a fleeing person when they are armed. Around here most of them point the gun behind them and start shooting as they run. More than one bystander has been shot this way. On Christmas Eve a few years ago a purse snatch, grab and run in WalMart parking lot ended with a bystander who had just walked out the door getting shot in the neck with a .380 as it was being fired by the BG as he ran for his getaway car. The man bled to death before EMTs arrived.

If they're armed, just because they're fleeing doesn't mean they no longer pose a threat.

Paul

I've posted it in several postings before, but here it is again:

"The use of deadly force to prevent the escape of a fleeing felon is justifiable where the following three circumstances are present: (1) the evidence must show that a felony actually occurred, (2) the fleeing suspect against whom force was used must be the person who committed the felony, and (3) the use of deadly force must have been "necessary" to ensure the apprehension of the felon. People v Hampton, 194 Mich App 593, 596-597; 487 NW2d 843 (1992)," Link Removed

The actual precedent was established in the MI case, People v. Whitty, 96 Mich.App. 403, 411; 292 N.W.2d 214 (1980).

This precedent was cited in the 1999 appeals case, People v Nekeal Jones (above); it is based in common law, and there is no "black letter law."

Stengun's logic makes sense in that they still pose a threat.

I'll have to check my local laws but I'm pretty sure in Utah we don't have anything like that because I hadn't heard of it.

Howdy,

Here's a link to a local news story:

Link Removed

I know Hayes, Green and Lewis that were involved in the incident. ( My brother owns a painting business and uses Hayes and Green to paint rental property in the 'Hood areas of Little Rock and that's how I know them.)

Harcourt and Williams were trying to rob Hayes. Hayes and Harcourt fought on Hayes's front porch and Hayes finally drew his pistol, a .380, and tried to shoot Harcourt but instead shoot his left index finger off.

At this point Green joined the fight and shot Harcourt at point blank range with a different .380.

When the shooting started, Williams ran for his SUV and fired his 9mm emptying the mag as he ran for his vehicle. One round was believe to have struck Harcourt. So, just because they're fleeing doesn't mean they're not a threat

A woman that was never mentioned lured Hayes outside his house and there was a third man that was driving the getaway SUV.

In the words of Forest Gump's mom: "Stupid is as stupid does." holds true.

In 2008 Green and a "friend" where cruising around looking for stuff to steal and found a Chevy Malibu with the passenger's side window rolled down a few inches with a laptop, case, cell phone and a few other things in the front seat. Green reached through the window, unlocked the door, grabbed everything, stuffed it into a pillow case, emptied the glove box and hopped back into the Explorer that he was riding in.

They drove about 50yds and Little Rock PD swarmed their SUV. The driver decided to ram a cop car and flee. The LRPD lit them up killing the driver and Green suffered several GSWs and carried his guts around in a bag for about 18 months.

Harcourt and Williams pled guilty to conspiracy, possession of a firearm during a drug transaction and felon in possession of firearms.

For some unknown reason Saline County decided that Hayes and Green were "innocent victims" and refused to charge them with anything. The Feds felt differently and charged them conspiracy, possession of a firearm during a drug transaction and felon in possession of firearm. These have a sentence of 20 to 40 to life for the first two and 5 years for the third.

Hayes and Green elect for a jury trial and were found guilty on all charges and are sitting in Pulaski Co. jail awaiting sentencing.

A bunch of Hayes's friends believe that the Feds are going to release him because "he's a really great guy" but I told them that in the lyrics of a song by Steam:

Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey, goodbye

Paul

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back