Carrying a copy of your Concealed Carry Permit?

renots

Is it "OK" to carry a copy of your handgun permit .. or do you have to have the original on your possession? I want to keep my original in a safe.
Can i copy it and carry the copy? I have an Indiana hand gun permit.

Last edited:
Is it "OK" to carry a copy of your handgun permit .. or do you have to have the original on your possession? I want to keep my original in a safe.
Can i copy it and carry the copy?
I don't think that's a very good idea.

I was told you must carry the real mccoy when carrying in my state. But they(police department) never could show me a law stating I had to carry the real thing and not a copy.

In Florida it has to be the real thing. Any LEO would know if it was a copy as ours is a plastic card the size of a DL.
Per Fla statutes 790.06:
The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer.

Try carrying a copy of your Drivers License and see how that works.

Due to new state DMV laws when you renew your DL that is just what you get from the DMV. They send you a photo copy of your DL and then after comfriming all the information the real one follows. Takes about three weeks (60 days max). Our resident permit is nothing more then a piece of printer paper issued by your local PD. That in it's self is a joke because it has to last you four years.

I have a good friend who is a detective. I asked him what happens if I forget my wallet at home, he said "keep a photo copy of your DL and CCW in your glove box that way if you forget, its proof you have one. Not sure about other states but that's what he said for AZ.

Our drivers licenses are permanent and don't expire until we turn 65, like mine expires in 2035. We do have to go in for new pic's every 10 or 15 years, not sure, I've had mine for 9 years.

IC 35-47-2-1
Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

This is your Indiana statute. If you have a copy of a license in your possession, was that copy issued to you? No. The only thing having a copy available MIGHT do for you is the cop may let you go with a citation to appear before a judge to show him your real license without your gun being confiscated. But, I would bet you still would be found in violation of the above statute.

All of the permits that I have are plastic. It is hard to copy the plastic cards so carry the original.

Good post navyLt. I always like it when someone finds the law and posts that. One of the reasons I like this site. :biggrin:

my question is similar to op, in Indiana our concealed carry permit is a pink piece of paper, which I believe we are able to laminate, so what is wrong with finding a matching color of pink paper, making a copy of my permit and then laminating that? Which would allow me to keep my original locked up safe at home. It's $20 to get a replacement and I like knowing if something happens and I lose my wallet, the original is still safe at home.

my question is similar to op, in Indiana our concealed carry permit is a pink piece of paper, which I believe we are able to laminate, so what is wrong with finding a matching color of pink paper, making a copy of my permit and then laminating that? Which would allow me to keep my original locked up safe at home. It's $20 to get a replacement and I like knowing if something happens and I lose my wallet, the original is still safe at home.

Here in archaic VA the permits are still paper which would have been very easy to copy since the courts tell you to laminate it, BUT it has an embossed stamp which without it would not be valid. I would say stamp or not, that copying it and carrying it in place of the real deal would be no different than faking any other legal document. It's just not worth the chance. I do know here if the cops run our plates or dl they can see the CHP attached. But if your state can't and the only proof the cops have is your permit I'd assume copying it would be illegal.

Not to paraphrase a commercial but, "never leave home without it" Mine is just like my D.L. so it is in my wallet right behind it.

I'm sure there are watermarks or other security features built into the original permit. Something I'm sure they won't tell you about. These features are built into our Link Removed, Drivers License, my Military ID "CAC card", Link Removed ect....... I'm sure the same goes with other Government issued documents.

Chap

Just curious. Did you read my post #10?

IC 35-47-2-1
Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

This is your Indiana statute. If you have a copy of a license in your possession, was that copy issued to you? No. The only thing having a copy available MIGHT do for you is the cop may let you go with a citation to appear before a judge to show him your real license without your gun being confiscated. But, I would bet you still would be found in violation of the above statute.

In my county in PA, the license to carry was on paper. When I received the license, they also gave me a laminated, reduced copy to carry. The original stayed at home, the laminated copy is in my wallet. I think they are changing now to a DL style where the card is the original (now with photo) which must be carried with you, but since they are good for 5 years, it will take a while to convert everyone to the new system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back