Carry while I travel

Retired33Vet

Im new to this forum so be gentle on me.....
I am an AZ resident with a CCW permit. I will be taking a long road trip and am concerned about what to do in different states. I will travel AZ, NM, TX, OK, KS, ME, IA, MO, the communist state of Illinois, KY, TN, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA. Are there any concerns with carrying in these states? (I know I better hide it well in Illinois). Since all of these states honor my AZ permit (except the communist state) can I carry in all these states in my vehicle the same as I can in AZ?
Thank you all for your help.

Inform yourself about the laws of each state you travel through. For example, does a specific state has the duty to inform? Is there a legal difference between open an concealed carry? Is there a state preemption law? www.handgunlaw.us provides a good resource for that.

Alabama honors all CHLs no matter which state it's from.

You can open carry without a CHL in AL, but not while in a vehicle. Since you said you have one, you're good to go here.

No duty to inform here unless you're asked if you have weapons on you/in the vehicle.

State rest stops are all posted no firearms inside the building. There is usually an officer of some sort sitting behind a counter, but I've never seen one confront anybody just walking in, going to the head or vending machines, and then going back out. I personally carry inside rest stops because the only time I use 'em in-state is when I'm on the bike, and I ain't about to leave my weapon in unlocked saddlebags. That's not advice one way or the other, just observations and first-hand information.

Generally speaking, no one's gonna give you a second look having anything to do with carrying guns down here. Enjoy your visit.

Blues

South Carolina -- Your permit is indeed recognized as legal. You may carry on person in the vehicle, under the seat, in a closed compartment, OR in a open storage container (not the same as openly on the dash or seat) We are a Duty-to-Inform when asked by LEO and he requests ID -- You must have your CCW permit in possession when carrying. Be on the lookout for the legal NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED signs. There are specific requirements for the sign 12"tall x 8"wide etc. The smaller sticker type are not legal, but if asked to leave the premises --- do so or you may face a trespassing charge (not usual tho') You can also go into a place of business that serves alcohol (you cannot have any while carrying), but this allows you into resturants that do serve ETOh...These are the high points but not all.... please go read the laws especially the prohibited areas (no schools, any medical facility, daycare, Churches without permission, Civil buldings (cityhall, courthouses, etc)
Enjoy your road trip... SC Laws here ---> Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back