canceal carry while traveling

ShyawnNvycles

I live in Ohio and have the CCW from Ohio. Now I have to travel to Florida for a funeral does anyone know the laws of the states I will be passing threw? For instance I know some states honor OHIO's CCW. But others do not. I will be going threw Ohio of course, but then West Virgina, Virgina, North Carolina, South Carolina, Geogria, and Florida. Which states can I carry conceal and which states can I not? Plus Ithink Georgia does not reconise Ohio's CCW what do I do with my gun? Is it legal to carry in glove box or do i need to buy a gun safe and carry it in that?

You can email me at [email protected]
Thanks
Shawn

Go to the top of this page, click on concealed carry maps, click on your State. This will give you a good start. You will still need to know a bit more about the laws of each State but you can find links for that up there also.

That chart you mentioned was on my site Handgunlaw.us, In his interview on Fox News he stated he read everything he could on NY law and didn't see anything. That was untrue. He also stated the site was in error. He and his Attorney are now stating that he misread the information. His major errors were he accessed the site on his phone and couldn't see the whole page. He saw NY and IN on the same line and ASSUMED! You know what that does. That line stated that IN would honor the NY Permit. All he had to do was scroll down and out from NY it states "Does not honor any other states permit/licenses. All he had to do was take a little time and he would have known the facts. He didn't.

Your Ohio permit is good in:
AK, AR, AZ, DE, FL, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MO, MT, NC, ND, NE, NM, NV, OK, SC, SD, TN, UT, VA, VT, WA, WV, WY

Keep in mind that in any state other than Ohio, it will be a violation of Federal law to carry a loaded gun within 1000' of the premises of a school, whether inside the vehicle or not. To comply with Federal law, within 1000' of a school the gun must be unloaded and in a locked case (or a couple of other exceptions, such as private property). Most people ignore this law and hope the concealed means concealed.

In Georgia, you can carry your gun inside your vehicle, on your person, concealed or openly with no license required. Outside the vehicle, the gun must be unloaded and in a case.

conceal while traveling

There is a map that you can check to see a route where you can carry without the stress of wondering if its legal or not

Your Ohio permit is good in:
AK, AR, AZ, DE, FL, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MO, MT, NC, ND, NE, NM, NV, OK, SC, SD, TN, UT, VA, VT, WA, WV, WY

Keep in mind that in any state other than Ohio, it will be a violation of Federal law to carry a loaded gun within 1000' of the premises of a school, whether inside the vehicle or not. To comply with Federal law, within 1000' of a school the gun must be unloaded and in a locked case (or a couple of other exceptions, such as private property). Most people ignore this law and hope the concealed means concealed.

In Georgia, you can carry your gun inside your vehicle, on your person, concealed or openly with no license required. Outside the vehicle, the gun must be unloaded and in a case.

Ok, I have a question than. I live 1/2 a block from a middle school. Does this mean I cannot ever leave my house with a magazine in my CCW?

Hey ocala: With all due respect to Navy, use the resources mentioned above and do your own due diligence and checking. I do not recall any disclaimer/statement by Navy that voids/warranties his most likely correct interpretation of gun laws in these states. Just verify what he has quoted and go from there; the resources are out there for you to check and interpret each states' requirements and limits.

Ok, I have a question than. I live 1/2 a block from a middle school. Does this mean I cannot ever leave my house with a magazine in my CCW?

18 USC 922 (q):

18 USC § 922 - Unlawful acts | LII / Legal Information Institute

(q)
(2)
(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is—
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

------------------

18 USC 921:
(a) As used in this chapter—
(25) The term “school zone” means—
(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or
(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
(26) The term “school” means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.

In your home state your permit/license allows you to carry up to the school property line. Now in any other state unless you have a permit/license from that state also you can't come within 1000 foot of any school with a loaded firearm. That includes "Home Schools" also. I know that sounds stupid but you have to remember it was the federal government that came up with it. You can read the letter from the BATF on School Zones at http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/batf_school_zone.pdf

While I am not encouraging anyone to break any law, the odds of you being caught and charged with violating the Federal school zone law is very remote considering the millions of gun-toting people who everyday carry their guns in the exclusion zone. BUT IT CAN HAPPEN.

I agree with both of you and think that is a risk I may need to take. It really is impossible to avoid school zones 100% especially in my case. I am certainly not leaving the house with the gun unloaded in a case then pulling over after I pass the school zone to unlock and load then holster. That would be crazy!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back