Can they take your pistol permit away?

cdwheato

For those who say it can't happen, I'm going to tell you a true story. A friend of mine had an episode recently that had him checked into the psych ward at a local hospital. It turned out to be an adverse reaction to meds. As the problem was corrected, he was checked out.

A few weeks later, they came home to a sheriff at the door. He was there to collect a pistol permit and the pistol associated with it. My friend did still have the permit that was issued in the 70's, but he had it for a job that supplied the gun. He never owned the gun. Luckily the sheriff believed him.

So, now in NY, they don't need much excuse to take your guns. There was not an opportunity to offer a defense, or even compensation for the pistol if confiscated. Also, although the paperwork said otherwise, his admission and stay was voluntary. These friends didn't question the constitutionality of this, but I would be on the phone with a lawyer.

This was a result of just being checked into the psych ward even though it was determined to be medically related. There has been talk of this happening if you happen to talk to a psychiatrist. I was having issues with migraines and when a neurologist could not find the problem, he wanted me to see a psychiatrist. I did not and it was found out it was the meds the neurologist was prescribing that caused the headaches. That could have caused me not to be able to have a gun.

If I were your friend, I'd be on the phone with a good 2A attorney. How is it the State, with current HIPPA laws, able to cross reference pistol permit and medical records without a violation of his privacy rights? Sounds like Emperor Coumo's State Police "secret" investigative squad is hard at work scouring medical records and selectively targeting pistol permit holders....Legal?

For those who say it can't happen, I'm going to tell you a true story. A friend of mine had an episode recently that had him checked into the psych ward at a local hospital. It turned out to be an adverse reaction to meds. As the problem was corrected, he was checked out.

A few weeks later, they came home to a sheriff at the door. He was there to collect a pistol permit and the pistol associated with it. My friend did still have the permit that was issued in the 70's, but he had it for a job that supplied the gun. He never owned the gun. Luckily the sheriff believed him.

So, now in NY, they don't need much excuse to take your guns. There was not an opportunity to offer a defense, or even compensation for the pistol if confiscated. Also, although the paperwork said otherwise, his admission and stay was voluntary. These friends didn't question the constitutionality of this, but I would be on the phone with a lawyer.

This was a result of just being checked into the psych ward even though it was determined to be medically related. There has been talk of this happening if you happen to talk to a psychiatrist. I was having issues with migraines and when a neurologist could not find the problem, he wanted me to see a psychiatrist. I did not and it was found out it was the meds the neurologist was prescribing that caused the headaches. That could have caused me not to be able to have a gun.

Certainly not the first story like that in New York. Certainly won't be the last. Talk to Jim or Max Tresmond (Tresmond Law Firm). New York is out of control and ruled by the left from that little area in the Southeast portion of the state. Most gun owning conservatives are well aware of what is going on but they are hard pressed to do much about it. Maybe if a few more of them would bother to vote (and do so along a conservative line), they would stand a chance. But I wouldn't hold my breath. In fact I didn't. I left the state last year, not only because of the crazy gun laws, but also because of out of control taxation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back