Can I carry locked and unloaded thru Maryland

alphabenz

I have a concealed carry permit in New York and the Utah permit, can I carry it locked and unloaded in Maryland and South Carolina

Maryland has no reciprocity with any other state and south Carolina does not recognize your CHL's. So u would have to stow your weapon according to the Federal Firearms Transportation laws before crossing state lines.

In Maryland and south Carolina without a resident CHL the only option u have for transport is unloaded and in alocked case far from the operators reach ie in the trunk, under a seat, etc.
There is no option for open carry in either of those states. Both states are very difficult in regards to firearms carry.

In SC you place the loaded gun into a glove box....

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

{snip}

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance; or

(b) concealed on or about his person, and he has a valid concealed weapons permit pursuant to the provisions of Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23;

I would be extremely cautious traveling through Maryland. Federal safe journey laws apply but both New Jersey and Maryland have been known to prosecute gun owners who make prolonged stops in their states. I would hesitate even to stop for gas or food while transporting a firearm. I would certainly not stay overnight. When I have to travel through Maryland I go through the most narrow portion and get to West Virginia as soon as possible. It is literally only a 2 mile trip through Hancock, Maryland.

The rare MD permit is an LCH (License to Carry a Handgun). It does not specify 'concealed'... but even the local LEO's don't know... (or care). The local thought is that it's concealed 'only'. It's not. The (unconstitutional) permit is to carry a handgun... period. Carry the handgun (slide locked back in a locked box in the trunk. Do no carry ammo or loaded mags near the gun... keep them in the 'cab' of the car. Do NOT give any MD LEO 'permission' to search your vehicle... ever. MD doesn't recognize any permit from anywhere. there is zero reciprocity. Avoid MD (and D.C.) if possible.

carolinadrifter:200469 said:
Let me rephrase my last statement SC is a difficult state for carry for nonresidents.
i don't think your state of residency matters concerning loaded glove box/console storage in SC.

Thanx Guys,
I wanted to stop at the Antietam battlefield in Sharpsburg Maryland, I hate to leave guns in the truck but One has to respect there laws.

Fight for your rights

Thanx Guys,
I wanted to stop at the Antietam battlefield in Sharpsburg Maryland, I hate to leave guns in the truck but One has to respect there laws.

NO WE DON'T, WE HAVE TO GET THEM TO RESPECT OUR RIGHTS AS WRITTEN IN THE CONSTITUTION.

Join the NRA and help fight these violations of the Bill of Rights

Not so sure I'd recommend joining the NRA...

Link Removed

Many Second Amendment purists do not give complete confidence in the NRA because of how they endorse certain politicians (Harry Reid, for example) and how they have appeared to compromise with anti-gunners in drafting new bills.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back