Can a Texan Open Carry in Colorado?

UATKP

Uncle Al
I have read, but cannot find what I'm looking for in Colorado's gun laws. Guess I'm just too dense to understand what I'm reading.
I have a Texas Concealed Handgun License. I conceal carry at all times -- where legally possible. We usually do a bit of hiking around in the National Forest areas while in Colorado. Just curious. It's hard to conceal the Taurus Judge, and the little Bersa 380 doesn't give a lot of comfort around large animals...What I want to know is this: Since Colorado is an open carry state - 'cept Denver - and since Colorado does recognize my Texas CHL, can I legally open carry a handgun when I'm in the vicinity of South Fork/Wolf Creek Pass area while I'm there on vacation?

Open carry is legal in Colorado as long as you aren't in Denver I'm not sure if a Texas permit is honored but you can find that out at the Concealed carry permit information link at the top of the page

Thanks, Treo.
Still can't find anything out under the link, other than open carry is allowed in Colorado... but can be disallowed by local municipalities...
Still don't know if I can open carry around South Fork/Wolf Creek area under my Texas CHL. Maybe someone from that area will see this post and respond.
Thanks again.
Uncle Al

Colorado honors a Texas permit. Colorado has state premption no municipality (except Denver/ Denver County) can ban open carry they can ban open carry in certain specific locations but the location hgas to be clearly marked.

Like I said your Texas permit is good so if you see a no open carry sign just flip your shirt over it.

Also Colorado doesn't require you to inform a police officer you are carrying

Colorado Concealed Carry Permit Information

Open Carry:
Unrestricted under state law; localities may regulate this aspect independently.

Localities with Varying Laws:

Forms & Links:

Colorado Bureau of Investigation: CCW Information

Denver Police Department: Concealed WEapons Permits
NRA-ILA: Colorado Gun Laws
Colorado State Shooting Association

Also, if you are in a NATIONAL PARK SYSTEM park, you may carry as long as you are in accordance with State law. Example: Tennessee does not allow ANY carry in PARKS. The National Park Service honors Tennessee's desires, and in THAT state you can not carry in the National Parks. Looking at Colorado's off limits areas, parks are not listed. To be safe, when yhou get to the entrance of the park, ask to speak to a Park Ranger and get an "official" opinion.

Hi Uncle Al,

The information from Treo and WB9IIE is correct. Colorado is an open-carry state. Our federal and state parks are open-carry. Denver is, by state constitution, allowed to write it's own laws (screwy state constitution) so Denver is not open-carry (conceal-carry only by permit). And several towns/cities such as Boulder have passed ordinances against open-carry in their control.

Car carry is legal for loaded and available pistols (not rifles) through-out the State without permit by state statute.

If you would like a excellent website for Colorado information you can go to Colorado's No-Compromise Gun Rights Organization - Rocky Mountain Gun Owners and find all the ins and outs of Colorado.

If you would like, you can write me at [email protected]

Enjoy your time in Colorado. :)

JJ Swiontek, Colorado CCW Instructor

Prohibiting Municipalities open carry. (Denver, Arvada and Breckenridge)

Municipal Open Carry ban The City of Castle Rock has an open carry ban that extends to nearly every city-owned location. Castle Rock City Ordinance 9.04.165 reads:
It is unlawful for any person, except law enforcement officers in the performance of their duties, to openly carry a firearm in any Town-owned or -operated building, or on any Town-owned or -operated park, recreation area or property upon which the Town Manager has directed to be posted a notification that the carrying of firearms is prohibited. (Ord. 2003-41 §1, 2003)

Lakewood's Open Carry ban

Maybe Arvada is OK for open carry

City and Community of Arvada: Ask Arvada

Handgun - Transporting unconcealed

Is it legal to carry an unconcealed handgun in Arvada?

Colorado's Open Carry law does allow for the unconcealed carry of a weapon. There are limitations and homeowners/business owners/government building can restrict this carry under certain provisions in the law. We would suggest you get a complete copy of the law from the State Website. Also, you might want to weigh the alarm caused by carrying a weapon in town vs. your need for the weapon (you don't express why you want to carry). Pointing/discharging the weapon at anyone could make you subject to many criminal laws and you would have to assert your self protection defense in court. You might want to discuss this with your attorney prior to making a final decision.

This information was brought to you by the department of Public Safety.

Also, you might want to weigh the alarm caused by carrying a weapon in town vs. your need for the weapon (you don't express why you want to carry).
Why? Oh gee, self defense, balancing a limp, because it looks manly. How about because he wants to? What difference does it make as to why he wants to have a weapon. After all, it is his right. Colorado doesn't require a permit/license to OC. He just has to make sure he stays out of the CEZs. (Criminal Empowerment Zones)

You will have no problem in the South Fork area. Chances are many in that area are either from Texas or are armed when they enter the woods. The only areas in the San Luis Valley with no carry are those covered by federal law. Most businesses really don't care about open carry in this area. Have fun and don't worry. We are friendly around here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back