buying on-line or from a store

labo44

I'm looking to purchase my first handgun. Do you think it's better to buy cheaper on-line as opposed to more money at a local gun shop with an extra warranty.

I have generally found that once you consider shipping costs and the FFL's fee for receiving the gun for you buying online isn't really much cheaper, it at all. I only buy online when its something unusual or something the local gun store can't get. Last gun I bought a couple weeks ago, a Taurus 738, would have been actually $5 more online with shipping and the FFL's fee than I actually paid for it at the store.

In the store you have the chance to hold the gun and examine it right there, which you can't do online
'

What Trapper ^ said. Being able to hold the gun is a big plus for me. Before I would order online the gun would have to be a lot cheaper not nearly the same. By that I mean something like $100 or so. But that is very hard to find.

Thanks for the info. I did find a store w/free shipping and no tax. And my FFL is a cheap fee. i was basically concerned about how much would i have to bring it to a gunsmith? am i better in the long run of paying more upfront at a store w/warranty? or on-line?

Honestly I have found the relationship you make with a Local Gun Store far out ways the amount of cash that you might be saving by ordering online. Not to mention the fact that your supporting a local business. Just my 2 cents YMMV

These are really two questions. Buying online vs. local and buying an extra warranty or not.

I would advise against buying an extra warranty. You have a manufacturer's warranty for new guns. If something is wrong with the gun, you need to ship it to the manufacturer for repair. This is in most cases as costly as buying the extra warranty that is supposed to pay for shipping. Also, inform yourself about the reliability of the gun before purchasing.

As the other comments already pointed out, there are costs in addition to a listed price on a Web page. Also, inform yourself about the differences between in-state and across-state firearms transfers/purchases, particularly the laws in your state regarding Web purchases.

If this is your first gun purchase ever, a local gun shop may be easier, considering that you have never passed the background check before. In an online purchase, you have to ship the gun to a local FFL (may be even the same gun shop), who does the background check. While you think you will pass the background check, this may not be the case. I was just recently in one of my local gun stores in TN, where someone was denied despite having an active Handgun Carry Permit.

Also, visual inspection before buying is always a good idea:

Thanks for the info. I did find a store w/free shipping and no tax. And my FFL is a cheap fee. i was basically concerned about how much would i have to bring it to a gunsmith? am i better in the long run of paying more upfront at a store w/warranty? or on-line?

What brand gun are we talking about? Most of the reputable gun manufactures have lifetime warranties on their guns, regardless of where you purchased it. I bought a very old Thompson Contender from a private party and when the barrel locking block broke, sent it back to TC and they fixed it (and a couple other things in the frame that I didn't know about) under warranty.

I bought my first gun online and after all was said and done I was $50 ahead. Would I do it again? probably not. With all the what ifs and the waiting, I would rather stay local.
As to the warranty issue, like most things non-electronic. If it has not broken during the normal break in period, it should last a long time with good care and the occasional expected wear and tear.

I was looking at Glock, Walther and Steyr

Glock has a less than ideal warranty:
GLOCK Warranty | GLOCK USA

Subject to terms, conditions and limitations outlined below, GLOCK, Inc. guarantees its pistols against defects in materials and workmanship that adversely affect their operation for a period of one (1) year from the date of their original purchase by the initial consumer.

Walther's warranty was impossible to find on their website.
Link Removed

LIMITED ONE YEAR WARRANTY
This firearms is warranted to the original owner for one (1) year from date of purchase
against defects in material and workmanship and is not transferable.

Steyr looks like one year as well:
Link Removed
All Steyr rifles come with a one year limited manufacturers warranty.

Wow. I know Taurus and Thompson Center (although I think S&W acquired TC?) have unlimited warranties regardless of if you are the original purchaser or not.

Agree ... buy local when you can.

Honestly I have found the relationship you make with a Local Gun Store far out ways the amount of cash that you might be saving by ordering online. Not to mention the fact that your supporting a local business. Just my 2 cents YMMV

I want to buy local to support my hometown gun shop. It is also a great idea to build a good relationship with the local shop owner. Keep it local when possible even if you have to pay a few dollars more.

I can't say much about Walther or Steyr, as I don't own them, but Glocks are known to be reliable, consist of only a few parts to begin with, and these parts are easily available/replaceable. The Glock design is simple enough such that replacing any part is easy and quick. If you can't do it by yourself, a gunsmith shouldn't charge you much for it. If you have a good relationship with the store, it may be even free of charge. Mine installed the night sights I bought online on my Glock for free.

If you still consider an additional warranty sold by a gun shop, look at what that warranty actually covers.

I would never buy a gun locally again unless I came across a deal or felt like I just had to have RIGHT NOW. I have yet to find any dealer around my local area that could beat the prices on Bud's Gun Shop and I would end up paying EVEN MORE once taxes were tallied in. By buying online I get a cheaper purchase price, free shipping to my local ffl dealer, and only pay $25 for the transfer. That's it. No hidden fees.

As far as the "warranty" you speak of, the only warranty needed is the one provided to you by the manufacturer provided you're buying a quality firearm from a reputable manufacturer. The only upside to buying locally is you actually get to fondle the guns before deciding. In this case just decide on which one you want most and compare the price with an online site such as Bud's. Do the math and then make your purchase based on how much you're willing to spend.

Personally... If you are buying new AND you are familiar with what you are buying, go for it. If you do not, buy locally. If you are buying used or military surplus, bad idea.

Personally, I would only buy online if it was a significant savings over a local gun shop. I doubt either of these would be in a price range in which you could recognize a significant savings by going online (after shipping and FFL fees).

The one and only time I bought online was for a rifle that I got for around $2500 but couldn't find it for less than $3000 any where else. Five hundred dollars changed my tune quickly. Also free shipping and my local gun shop only charged $25 for the transfer, so I was ahead $475.

You might be able to recognize a $50 savings perhaps going online with those pistols, but if it's your first handgun you may get a relationship between your local gun shop that would be well worth spending a few extra dollars to have.

I have bought two guns from Buds Gun Shop online and one from The gun Broker online. Never had any problems with any of the deals.
Buy where you get a good price, whether local or online. :dance3:

By the time you pay shipping and find a local shop to receive the weapon and do the federal paperwork, you'll probably not save enough to say so. With buying from a local dealer you have easy recourse if there are any problems and having good relations with a shop that has a good gunsmith on staff can be worth plenty.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back