Buying a gun for the Woman!

Dog5911

I am looking to buy a 22lr for my soon to be wife, this will be her first gun. My question is do you all feel this is a good round to start with or is there a different round i should consider. What gun do you all find work best for a woman's first gun. Will be used most likly for friendly compatition target shooting, but also needs portability for walking with it for hunting.

22LR is good to start. Ammunition is cheaper (if you can find it) therefore she can shoot a lot of rounds while she is learning. I have a Browning Buckmark that I bought when I decided to learn about handguns. That being said, take your girl to a gun shop that has a range. They usually will let you rent and try out different guns. That way she will find one that she feels comfortable with, whether it's a semi-auto, a revolver, small calibre, large calibre, etc. On a personal note, I quickly worked my way to a .45 semi-auto and love shooting it. Bought it for my husband but don't think he's going to get to keep it. 22LR is great for target shooting and practice, but not very practical in the field while hunting unless you're going for squirrels or rabbits. If at all possible, give her a gift certificate for a NRA Basic Pistol Course in your area. Very valuable class. Most of all have fun.

I find what ever the woman chooses to be the best gun for that woman...no one online can tell you which gun she will find the best.

We can offer some .22 firearms that we like if that's the caliber you want. If she chooses a different caliber come back and we can offer what firearms we like in that caliber as well.

But ultimately it's going to be her choice.

.22 recommendations:

Ruger MkII/III
Buckmark
Ruger SR 22
M&P 22
Walther P22
ISSC 22

Or get her a conversion kit and a larger firearm, ie: glock, kimber, cz/eaa witness.

I am looking to buy a 22lr for my soon to be wife, this will be her first gun. My question is do you all feel this is a good round to start with or is there a different round i should consider. What gun do you all find work best for a woman's first gun. Will be used most likly for friendly compatition target shooting, but also needs portability for walking with it for hunting.

If I were you I would make her part of the process, is she going to carry concealed? if yes why don't you skip the 22 and go right to a carry gun. there are some great small 9mm that she should be able to handle. visit Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat. for the woman's perspective

Whatever you buy her, make damn sure that you TAKE HER WITH YOU TO THE GUNSHOP; that way you won't be making a straw purchase, which is illegal!!

Let her shoot as many different guns as she can get her hands on. Let her decide what the best gun for her is. It will come down to more than just the caliber. How it fits in her hand, how heavy it is, etc will all come in to play. The more different ones she can shoot, the better idea she will have about what she likes and doesn't like and that will help her pick a gun that she will enjoy shooting & practicing with.

I wrote an article about this on my blog. :)

Link Removed

Whatever you buy her, make damn sure that you TAKE HER WITH YOU TO THE GUNSHOP; that way you won't be making a straw purchase, which is illegal!!

Typically, a straw purchase is purchasing the firearm for someone who can't pass the background check or doesn't want their name associated with the purchase.

Take her with you

Make sure to take her to the firearm dealer and let her put her hands on as many as you can check out. Make sure she can rack the firearm with no difficulties. Personally, I would skip the .22 if this rolls to future concealed carry, and look at .380 or 9mm. Some ladies have a better hold on a revolver. Depending on your state's criteria for CCW make sure she is comfortable with both. For example; Here in Texas, if you qualify with a revolver, you get to carry only a revolver, if you qualify with a semi-auto, you can carry either. If the .22 is just for plinking and fun there are a wide range of choices. Heritage Arms makes an under 200.00 six-gun style revolver. Or you can roll to a Ruger, S&W, or Chiappa semi-auto. have fun and enjoy your shooting time together..

I am fairly certain you can buy a gun as a gift for children spouse and parents. That is part of the gun-show loophole the libertards are whining about. Charie K may be onto something, though, if you are not yet married.

That said, let her pick out something that she is willing to shoot...a lot. That is the best way I know of to get her hooked on shooting and to help her move on to other guns.

The tip about training is a great one as well. A scared neophyte at home when you come home early/late from work etc is not a happy thing.

BTW: Congratulations and may you be blessed with your upcoming nuptials.

22lr is a great gun to start practicing on for target practice- which is mandatory exercise & overhead for owning a gun. But if that gun will double as her personal protection gun- whether its her CCW and/or the one she will keep near her at home- then you should go for a larger caliber purchase- and if need be- rent a 22 to practice at the range and move up. Its also important to ask her if she intends on carrying. If she doesn't plan on doing this at all/anytime soon (when i bought my first gun- i thought i wouldn't be carrying anytime soon, bc of my little ones getting into my things/climbing on me)- then that opens her to getting a larger frame gun- which has less recoil vs. the smaller frames (that would be popular for CCW) of the same caliber. There is truly no greater advice than her shooting the gun before figuring out which you want to buy.

Be sure and include the Sig Sauer P238 in the selection process. Great LITTLE .380....even some women's colors....IF you can find one to buy.

I would say try a 9mm. I started my girlfriend on my .45 which she handles pretty well but her aims suffers after 3-4 magazines, I think this might be because of the recoil wearing out her arms. When she wanted to get her carry permit I gave her a Glock 19 which she can consistently shoot 4 or 5 inch groupings at speed from 25 yards. She is only 120lbs so the size of the person compared to the size of caliber argument is pretty much a stereotype in my opinion. It is more a matter of spending the range time and proper stance etc.

Do NOT "buy a gun for a woman." Get her a gift certificate to a good class, hopefully with a woman instructor, and let her figure out what she needs and wants. I've seen more women turned off to the whole thing by well meaning men... Don't do it.

Encourage, yes. When she's ready, she'll buy the gun she wants and needs. She needs to find out about the other 90% of self defense - the part beyond and around the gun.

Do NOT "buy a gun for a woman." Get her a gift certificate to a good class, hopefully with a woman instructor, and let her figure out what she needs and wants. I've seen more women turned off to the whole thing by well meaning men... Don't do it.

Encourage, yes. When she's ready, she'll buy the gun she wants and needs. She needs to find out about the other 90% of self defense - the part beyond and around the gun.
this is good advice, but the instructor doesn't have to be a woman, there are plenty of male instructors who train women.

Let her pick it, but make her rent one and try it first. My wife bought a PK380 because it was "sexy" and then pretended to like it and now when she does touch a gun, it's my p22 and she says it's an accident. Yeah, oops. Guess for a smaller woman a PK380 might be a bit snappy?

this is good advice, but the instructor doesn't have to be a woman, there are plenty of male instructors who train women.

A woman has DIFFERENT training needs and concerns, so many women do better and are more comfortable in a class taught by a woman. In my self defense seminars, I've talked to hundreds of women who took classes from men, and this is something they say very often - that they wish their initial training had been with another woman because they felt intimidated or pressured by their male instructors. The men are not bad, or uncaring; it's just that women often need a different approach, especially if they've previously been conditioned to fear guns or other nonsense.

When they see this old lady shooting a big, black handgun with either hand alone, they know they can do it too. :)

And yes, EMPOWERING women to take control of their own lives and safety is what I most want to do. One woman had been told by her male instructor that she shouldn't ever bother with anything larger than a .22. She walked out of my class a foot taller after successfully shooting my .357m - with a decent grouping, I might add.

So, all you male instructors... do try to keep that in mind with the ladies you teach.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back