Buy a full size handgun for SHTF gear? Or use what you have?

S&WM&P40

I came across a video on youtube (can't seem to find it right now) that said you should save your money. He says you should save the money and use it for other gear you need, such as ammo and other stuff. He had a compact handgun that he used for daily carry as well as for his SHTF "tactical gear".

Would you use your compact daily carry gun? Or buy a new full size?

Problem is --SHTF --is such a generic term therefore one won't know what's needed till it's needed.
Having a full size gun may give a small advantage over something that is compact but neither may take the place of a good rifle.
IMO--It's best to try to cover all bases to the best of ones ability

There's an old saying " a 380 in the pocket is better than a 45 in the glove box". Simple carry what you feel comfortable with, and what you will carry more on a daily basis. Here in the Florida heat , I always carry a Ruger LCP . Light enough in that I can wear a pair of shorts and just garb it while going to the store. Wouldn't be doing that with my Colt Officer's model! I find with the LCP I am carrying more often than I used to and that is the whole point, to have the firearm on you and accessible since you can't plan when you need it!!

Smallest handgun we own (12+1 9mm)- and it's the wife's carry gun. However a gun without ammo is just a poorly designed club.

f0dxlc.jpg

Problem is --SHTF --is such a generic term therefore one won't know what's needed till it's needed.
Having a full size gun may give a small advantage over something that is compact but neither may take the place of a good rifle.
IMO--It's best to try to cover all bases to the best of ones ability

Well the SHTF he was addressing in the video was "end of the world" total breakdown. Civil war in the streets, no government, zombies etc.. take your pick,

There's an old saying " a 380 in the pocket is better than a 45 in the glove box". Simple carry what you feel comfortable with, and what you will carry more on a daily basis. Here in the Florida heat , I always carry a Ruger LCP . Light enough in that I can wear a pair of shorts and just garb it while going to the store. Wouldn't be doing that with my Colt Officer's model! I find with the LCP I am carrying more often than I used to and that is the whole point, to have the firearm on you and accessible since you can't plan when you need it!!

Again I was not asking about choosing a daily carry firearm. It was addressing end of the world gear. Russia,China invade, zombies, civil war etc...

Smallest handgun we own (12+1 9mm)- and it's the wife's carry gun. However a gun without ammo is just a poorly designed club.

f0dxlc.jpg

Outstanding firearm! I carry the same one with the same ammo as my edc firearm. I did carry the fullsize M&P40 but it was not for me.

In those situations a handgun would be useful but a good rifle would be necessary.
A handgun --no matter what size is still a close range weapon--I would prefer to stop the zombies before they get into pistol range.
If the zombies do get close--the advantage of a full size pistol over a compact would be a moot point except that a full size pistol may have a larger carrying capacity.
IMO--if the enemy gets so close that you need that much firepower and all you have is a handgun you're only buying yourself a few seconds--you will be overtaken

Your handgun is for when they are right on top of you. Get a rifle, preferable one that takes detachable magazines.

Well if were talking end of the world then I'll take anything in a .50 cal and perhaps the 20MM Lahti Anti Material rifle, that should come in handy when the zombies bunch up.

Not me in pic below:

Link Removed

Walt, Just above the text windows for the post on the far right hand side there is a thing that looks like a window with a tree in it. Just click on that and then enter the url of the picture you want to post. Or you can do it by hand by typing ["IMG"]http://www.example.com/images.jpg["/IMG"] just make sure to remove the quotes.

The 50 cal is cool but that thing is single shot and for 3 grand you could get a few more practical firearms and plenty of ammo to go with them. What's a 50 cal bullet going for now--about 5 bucks a shot? I don't have a budget for that--LOL

lol Murph yea the ammo isn't cheap. That 20mm only has a 3 round mag but if were talking zombies anyways practicality doesn't matter. =)

Well the SHTF he was addressing in the video was "end of the world" total breakdown. Civil war in the streets, no government, zombies etc.. take your pick,

YIKES ... if it's that bad, have an AK at hand and handguns in the holsters as a backup. I think even braind dead zombies will think twice before messing with an AK. :laugh:

If it's SHTF/EOTWAWKI time, I want a semi automatic rifle and a friend with a shotgun. Handguns, at that point, are last ditch weapons.
MR

Save your money so you can buy one of everything. That way there's no need to worry.

Yep, got one for "up close and personal", one for "laying down the pain" and one for "you'll never see it coming".

Can't really carry any more than that :laugh:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back