burning the flag

willpruitt

I just read that in Charlotte, a occupy protest group burning a couple of American flags. I'm just wondering, what is the punishment for that? Is that like an act of treason? I grew up hearing that as an American, that is something you should never do under any circumstances. I thought as Americans we are supposed to Protect the American Flag.

They should be dealt with returning home to their alley's.

KK

PS. I just got a picture of a sleeping bag tied at the top with a rope and hug from a tree.

The I got a picture of a piñata.

So many visions going thru my mind

That's how it should be. The act of burning the flag, while offensive, hurts no one. Our jails and prisons are already overcrowded; we certainly don't need to fill them with people who are guilty of this.

It is precisely this sort of speech that the First Amendment protects.

The flag is only a symbol. It is more important to protect what the flag represents.

Burning the flag is protected as free speech. There are also times when flags are meant to be burned. When they are retired, beyond repair, American flags are supposed to be respectfully burned. The ashes are interred or spread on the graves of veterans.

The burning of Old Glory in protest IS NOT TREASON! It is and always will be a controversial issue. The folks in CLT that were arrested for that alone had their 4th amendment rights violated which is the more important aspect of the entire affair which simple minds seemed to have overlooked...or don't mind giving up those rights much less defending them...and you have the Gaul to call yourself an American. Crawl back into the cave you came out of.

It just pisses me off that I spent 20 yrs, months at a time at sea away from my family, my kids growing up without me, working for cheap money believing I was doing it to keep the flag flying.

I saluted the flag every time I walked on or off the ship. The American flag gave us the right of way at sea regardless and other foriegn ships dipped their flags to us when we passed.

I don't care how those of you, who grew up saying the pledge in school and never thought of the words, feel. If you have never actually lived your life protecting the flag and what it meant, you can't possibly understand.

So you sit there and make all the excuse's you want for the Dumbass decision made by the SCOTUS that it is JUST free speech, but don't expect me to just sit here without telling you that you've caved!

Done!

KK

And besides, as far as I am concerned, burning the flag is giving comfort to the enemy. The enemy loves to see our flag burning, it gives them comfort. You define treason.

KK

That's how it should be. The act of burning the flag, while offensive, hurts no one. Our jails and prisons are already overcrowded; we certainly don't need to fill them with people who are guilty of this.

Yes your right we should kill them on the spot that will fix some of the prison problem

Yes your right we should kill them on the spot that will fix some of the prison problem

I don't think they should be killed but they could let the dumbass, Who mistakenly carried a gun to NY and asked a cop to hold it for her when she went into the memorial, out and let the flag burner in.

KK

As a proud US Navy Submarine Veteran (1968-1974), I'd be hard pressed not to dole out an old fashioned ass whoopin' to someone I caught burning the flag. But that's just me. Grin.

And yet I hear noone complaining when the flag is flown at half mast everytime a local soldier is killed. I believe that actually violates the customs and curtesies in the constitution. I'm sure someone can/will correct me if i'm wrong about that

Burning a flag in anger or protest, even though it may be offensive, is nothing more than sticks & stones. It changes nothing.

The fact that the act offends a few uber patriots does not make it an act punishable by jail time. There are a lot worse things to spend police resources on than on someone who burns flags.

The burning of Old Glory in protest IS NOT TREASON! It is and always will be a controversial issue. The folks in CLT that were arrested for that alone had their 4th amendment rights violated which is the more important aspect of the entire affair which simple minds seemed to have overlooked...or don't mind giving up those rights much less defending them...and you have the Gaul to call yourself an American. Crawl back into the cave you came out of.

Free speech is a wonderful thing.

It makes it so easy to identify the fools.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back