Building a Survival Rifle

Debray

I think a 22 is the perfect survival rifle, and my first choice has always been a bolt action.

I still have and still shoot a 22 Marlin my Grandad gave me on my 5th birthday over sixty years ago.

I just read an article from the NRA American Rifleman on building a survival rifle and I would like to share it.

American Rifleman | Building An Affordable Survival Rifle

A Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle or a Ruger 10-22 Takedown make more sense as both are compact. In the case of the Henry, it stores inside its own stock with ammo in the mags and still floats.

Howdy,

A single-shot youth model .22LR rifle is NOT my idea of a survival rifle.

A better starting point will depend on what type of situation will you need to survive through.

A plane crash in the Alaskan wilderness?

Obama declaring Martial Law in 2016 and complete collapse of the entire economy, Gov't, infrastructure, etc.

Or a Zombie attack like on "The Walking Dead"

Or an EMP blast from No. Korea like in the new "Red Dawn" movie.

I would want and need a different "survival rifle" in each situation.

Paul

Howdy,

A better starting point will depend on what type of situation will you need to survive through.

Obama declaring Martial Law in 2016 and complete collapse of the entire economy, Gov't, infrastructure, etc.

Paul

If I don't have to move, I'll stick with the M1 Garand. Plenty of long range firepower to keep the bad guys away. That covers " Red Dawn" , "Obama Martial Law", civil insurrection.

Same as I had as a kid the savage 24 .22/.410. I took it everywhere. Backpacking to mending fences on the tractor.

If you used a slug it could even drop a deer if you happened upon a buck in season. Not that I would really know. [emoji6]

Howdy,

Paul

Odd that you should mention Alaska. I was stationed there years ago and a .22 was used as a "survival" rifle for those who might go out in the woods for a short day, or overnight jaunt, not too far from civilization. I have a scoped .22 semi-auto I like to use but I always carried a .357 S&W just case. I wouldn't want to go into the deep bush without a minimum of a .30-06. My favorite for hunting overall was my .300 Winchester mag. I try to have something for all situations.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back