Brand new to the gun community - still learning

JenniferMadi

Good morning all - I just have general questions and hope someone can help! I live in NW Indiana and I have decided that I would like to have a gun for personal protection. The problem is I know nothing about guns, have never shot a gun, and do not own a gun. Is there some place that I can go to be taught this stuff before buying a gun? I would like to learn to shoot and care for a gun before I own one, and also learn which gun would be best for me. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jennifer

You ask some good questions.. I have a few for you. Are you looking for something that you can carry concealed on your person or just as a home defense weapon or both? How much will your budget allow you to spend on a firearm?

If you are looking for an "all purpose" handgun that you can carry and use as a home defense weapon, your best bet is going to be a Smith and Wesson Airweight model revolver, either with a shrouded or enclosed hammer. I recommend this type of firearm only because you are new to firearms... the revolver is simple and reliable. It fires a good medium caliber; .38 Special which is generally easy to shoot and adequate for personal defense. Any gun shop should be able to show you this line of revolver... If the S&W's are a little too pricey for your budget, you may want to look at the Taurus line of sub-compact revolvers. Do some searching while you are here in usacarry, there is a wealth of information here.

By the way, welcome to the site!

First let me say welcome from Tampa Bay Floriduh...

You got some good advice from Glockster, and I would add...
Find a local NRA instructor in your area. Yeah you will pay a little money, but
1) you will get good instructions form the start
2) they usually have some guns you can try, or know of a range that rents guns
3) they usually know reputable dealers to deal with
4) they can take the time to have a conversation like Glockster started to determine what might be best for you.

I will put out one warning... Many gun dealers and instructors are ex-military which is great (Thank them for their service) but at times they come in with a slightly gung ho mentality and can sometimes talk you into more than you really need.. This happened to my wife when she went to buy a gun.. I had to talk her down (she is also ex-military) and she decided to buy a smaller caliber pistol and she is VERY glad she did since she does choose to carry..

You can also see if there is a 2nd amendment rights group in your area, they will be glad to talk to you and they know lots of people with gun experience.. Don't be afraid to ask if hey know some women shooters you can talk to..

I hope you have a great 1st experience, and welcome to the protectors of self and freedom..

Thanks for your advice guys. As for your questions, I am looking for something that I can conceal as well as for home protection. For my first gun I would like to keep it in the $500.00 or below range, so nothing made with elephant rhino or anything! lol As you may have figured by my name I am a woman so I would also like this to be taken into consideration as for what may be easier for me to handle. I have tried to go to Cabela's and ask questions but it is pretty much impossible there to get information because they are looking for an immediate sale. I will be checking the local ranges for instructors and gun rental - thanks again!

Jennifer

As already mentioned a snub nosed revolver might make a good choice. If you do decide you want to carry an auto check to make sure you have no problem racking the slide. some are harder than others. I do not know about your area but around here there are a number of shooting ranges that have a variety of guns that you can rent. That would help you find out what works best for you for you.

Thanks for your advice guys. As for your questions, I am looking for something that I can conceal as well as for home protection. For my first gun I would like to keep it in the $500.00 or below range, so nothing made with elephant rhino or anything! lol As you may have figured by my name I am a woman so I would also like this to be taken into consideration as for what may be easier for me to handle. I have tried to go to Cabela's and ask questions but it is pretty much impossible there to get information because they are looking for an immediate sale. I will be checking the local ranges for instructors and gun rental - thanks again!

Jennifer

Welcome Jenn. I live in Elkhart and have been to several great gun shops in the area. Some are owned by LEO's and they offer great info and NRA instruction. Check your local listings. And ditto on the S&W 38.

Welcome to the zoo from South Florida. I tend to agree with the sentiment that a revolver nearly always makes a good first weapon. An airweight .38 will be concealable, easy to handle and dependable.

The good thing about revolvers as a first gun is you don't have to think or worry about complications like magazines, safeties and such. After you get more familiar with weapons handling then you can add an automatic which gives the benefit (generally) of more rounds, quick reload, etc. The truth is, rarely do you wind up only owning one gun.

As a defensive weapon however the number of rounds and stopping power of a revolver is just fine.

BTW, firearms are a great sport so besides the defensive concept ... ENJOY!

Welcome, my wife is from the "region" as well. I got her a Taurus pt 111,but she has the benefit of me being there to show her. If you were thinking revolver I'd steer you towards a Ruger SP 101,357 for the serious stuff,light load 38's for practice. Dependable,concealable,reliable. Good Luck. Merry Christmas!!

Welcome to the sight Jennifer. I can't add anything to the really good information you have already been given. Buy yourself a reliable revolver. In a few years you'll be wanting a semi-auto, and then later down the road the elephant rhino will come.

Welcome. A lot of good advice. If you find a brand or two that you think you like, search out some of the many forums. There's a lot of useless babble on some of these, but if you spend enough time you'll be able to find good information.

Of special interest should be this: The Cornered Cat. This site is done by a woman for women. A lot of good info for you there. My wife has just started visiting this site to get her more comfortable with things.

The important things are 1) get some training; and 2) practice, practice, practice. Get good enough and comfortable enough so that if you ever NEED the gun, your reaction and action will be automatic.

Good luck with your search!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back