Borrowing a gun?

frijoli

Saturday my wife, son , and I are going to a firearm training class.
I have two pistols of my own. Can I legally borrow a gun from my brother-in-law? Should I just rent a gun at the range?

Clay

In NC, you can use any gun you bring. Some instructors don't allow anything below a .380. If you already own two, why would you borrow?

In NC, you can use any gun you bring. Some instructors don't allow anything below a .380. If you already own two, why would you borrow?

Because there are 3 of us taking the class? I wanted a gun for all of us as individuals. Maybe I don't need the third one, but they request you bring 50+ rounds for each person.

Thanks for the info on shooting any gun you bring!

You can not legally "borrow" a gun in NC. You have to do a transfer of ownership just like you bought it and then transfer it back. That being said, guns are not registered in any county in NC except Durham so how would anybody ever prove it was not yours?

Here in Texas we also have 22 cal guns for them to use, easy for new ones to learn how to shoot. Plus they can bring shoot their own or use any of ours to shoot.
NRA Pistol and rifle instructor
NRA RSO

Switch guns repeatedly during the class and see if your instructor notices. I took my CC class with a buddy and me and him switched off like 8 times. He never noticed that our paper had 2 different size holes in them.

Be sure to qualify with the largest caliber you can easily handle and control in both revolver, and SA.

Just make sure that the person borrowing the gun, and the person to whom the gun is returned has a permit, there is no exception for loaning in NC:

GS_14-402

§ 14‑402. Sale of certain weapons without permit forbidden.
(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation in this State to sell, give away, or transfer, or to purchase or receive, at any place within this State from any other place within or without the State any pistol unless: (i) a license or permit is first obtained under this Article by the purchaser or receiver from the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser or receiver resides; or (ii) a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit is held under Article 54B of this Chapter by the purchaser or receiver who must be a resident of the State at the time of the purchase.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back