Big #2A Win – 4th Circuit Applies Strict Scrutiny to Maryland Gun Control Law

BluesStringer

Les Brers
The following is the first place I looked after hearing about the ruling. I'm sure there are other sites with varying analysis of what the potential is for this to be a hugely big deal, but this one seems to get it, so here ya go:

Posted by Andrew Branca Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 2:30pm

Virtually all gun control laws will be found unconstitutional if subject to strict scrutiny

Link Removed

In 2013, Maryland enacted its Firearms Safety Act (FSA). With its passage, effectively banning its residents from owning any of the large majority of semi-automatic rifles owned by American citizens (exceptions were made for retired law enforcement officers). The FSA also imposed other restrictions, such as banning certain standard-capacity magazines.

Such laws are common in blue states, of course, and when challenged in the Federal courts on the grounds that they violate the Second Amendment they are typically subject only to intermediate (or lesser) scrutiny. Generally speaking, if the State can articulate virtually any purportedly reasonable basis for the gun law, it survives scrutiny. Merely uttering the words “public safety” is usually sufficient for this purpose.

Of course, normally laws that arguably infringe an enumerated Constitutional rights are not subject to mere intermediate scrutiny, but rather they are subject to strict scrutiny. To survive strict scrutiny the law must advance not merely any governmental interest, but in particular a compelling governmental interest.

It is perhaps arguable that “public safety” would serve to meet this requirement. In addition, however, the law must also be narrowly tailored to actually achieve that interest. It is this second requirement that almost invariably leads to the law in question being found to be unconstitutional.

In a nutshell, then, if intermediate scrutiny is applied to almost any law, the law survives. If strict scrutiny is applied to almost any law, the law falls.

To nobody’s surprise, that’s precisely what happened with the FSA was challenged in Federal court in Kolbe v. Hogan, in which the plaintiff gun owners never even got to argue on the merits. There the federal court granted summary judgment to the state, concluding that under intermediate scrutiny the FSA was not an unconstitutional infringement of the Second Amendment. See Kolbe v. O’Malley, 42 F. Supp. 3d 768 (D. Md. 2014).

It is a true oddity of constitutional law that the rights enumerated in the Constitution are almost invariably privileged to strict scrutiny–except for the rights enumerated in the Second Amendment.

This state of affairs has allowed the implementing of constraints on the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms that would never have been tolerated in the context of First Amendment rights to freedom of religion, speech, or assembly, or Fourth Amendment rights against governmental search and seizure, Fifth Amendment rights to due process and against self-incrimination and double jeopardy, and so forth.

Indeed, Second Amendment advocates have long noted this disparity of treatment, and have long fought to eradicate it. We know full well that should strict scrutiny be applied to the Second Amendment, the vast majority of gun laws currently on the books would inescapably be found to be unconstitutional infringements of the Second Amendment, and discarded.

In short, the application of strict scrutiny to the Second Amendment, just as it is applied to the other rights enumerated in the Constitution, would be a complete game changer on gun rights on a national scale.

Today, the United States Court of Appeals for 4th Circuit did exactly that, applying strict scrutiny to Maryland’s “Firearms Safety Act,” in a two-to-one decision that could change the face of gun laws for Maryland (arguably one of the most anti-gun states in the nation), and perhaps portend similar relief for the beleaguered residents of New York, New Jersey, California, and the few other remaining anti-gun states. This decision is embedded at the bottom of this post.

In brief, the court’s 2-to-1 majority concluded first that the guns and magazines banned by the FSA fall within the scope of the Second Amendment, and second that:

Strict scrutiny, then, is the appropriate level of scrutiny to apply to the ban of semi- automatic rifles and magazines holding more than 10 rounds.

That’s all I have time for in this post, but I encourage all of you to read the 4th Circuit’s opinion in its entirety:

http://legalinsurrection.com/2016/02/big-2a-win-4th-circuit-applies-strict-scrutiny-to-maryland-gun-control-law/

If this makes it to the Supreme Court, it is quite possible that thousands of federal, as well as many times more state and local, gun control laws will be wiped off the books in one fell swoop.

It takes a lot for me to say this, but yesterday was a good day in a high-level appeals court in Maryland, USA.

Blues

Good post, Blues.

Maybe there IS hope at the federal level.

For the NRA take on this, see also: https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...ct-scrutiny-for-maryland-gun-and-magazine-ban.

This is not intended as being critical of you, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that before all is said and done with Kolbe v. Hogan, the NRA will either oppose it outright (like they did with Heller before SCOTUS accepted the case), or pretend to support it while submitting briefs to the Court that supports a ruling from them that's somehow less than a total victory for gun-owners (like they did again in Heller after SCOTUS accepted the case).

If this ruling makes it to SCOTUS and is upheld there, it would virtually put the NRA out of business, or at the very least, they worry that it would, just like they worried about Heller. They will never support a case that even has the potential to cut into their bottom line, and this particular case could go way further than simple potential into actuality.

Again, and I mean this sincerely, nothing against you for posting the link, but I never click on NRA links because I detest the Lords of Fairfax to the point that even contributing the 1/2¢ per click-through in advertising they get is more than I can be responsible for in good conscience.

The NRA does a great job of pretending to be, but they are not your friend if you are indeed a good friend to the Second Amendment.

NavyLCDR Too bad the outcome of strict scrutiny depends largely upon who is doing the scrutinizing.

Well, in this case it was a 3-judge panel of the Fourth Circuit who decided that Maryland's Firearms Safety Act of 2013 was unconstitutional, and therefore, void. This wasn't taking a scalpel and carving out the tiniest, most insignificant part of an overreaching law, this was reading the words of the 2A in as literal a fashion as any federal court ever has before, and flat-out overruling and completely voiding it. Has that ever happened with a gun control law before? Maybe, but it's very rare if it has, and it's for sure that it's never happened under the strict scrutiny doctrine when the case was a direct challenge to a law on the basis of the literal wording of the Second Amendment. While it's not the final word on the for-the-time-being voided law or the case itself, it's a pretty big deal that will make it much harder for SCOTUS to justify overturning the 4th C's. overturning of the lower court's decision. SCOTUS would have to employ some very drastic pretzel logic to tell the country why only one out of 10 of the BoR should have something less than a literal reading applied to it.

Blues

Blues stringer,

I am curious, What would put the NRA out of business? What business do you think they are in? My take on it is that they are in the membership business and in the lobbying business. They would prefer to get out of the lobbying business if they could. I use the range in Fairfax VA so they are in that business as well. Overall they are supporters of shooting sports, hunting and second amendment issues.

The NRA does not support the 2nd Amendment. The NRA supports "reasonable regulation" which is nothing more than a politically correct alias for gun control.

Blues stringer,

I am curious, What would put the NRA out of business? What business do you think they are in? My take on it is that they are in the membership business and in the lobbying business. They would prefer to get out of the lobbying business if they could. I use the range in Fairfax VA so they are in that business as well. Overall they are supporters of shooting sports, hunting and second amendment issues.

Navy is right as usual, the NRA is a gun control .org. A win at the SCOTUS level that has the potential to wipe out hundreds, if not thousands, of local, state and federal gun control laws would put the rights delineated in the Second Amendment back where they belong -- in the hands of The People. I personally think anyone who sincerely believes in the original intent of the 2A and still gives the NRA money is working against their own sincere beliefs and interests, so-beyond the point of *proven* is the notion that the NRA is, and always has been since its inception, the largest gun control organization in the country. If our rights were securely in our hands, there would be no need for a phony 2A "advocacy" organization that has routinely supported the most egregious gun control laws throughout their 145 year history.

I don't know why any real gun rights advocate sends them money now, but would you still send them money if the government actually did its job of protecting and defending your Second Amendment rights anyway, without the need for a lobby .org? If you're equating paying range fees or hunter and/or child shooter safety courses with their bread-and-butter business of advocating for their bastardized version of 2A rights, then yeah, I guess you'd still spend money with 'em. That is decidedly not the kind of triviality I was referring to though, and I disagree vehemently that they support anything approaching the original intent of Second Amendment issues.

Blues

Well BS it looks like we need to explore what we think the Founding Fathers thought when they drafted the Second Amendment. We had just come off our hard fought and bloody war war of independence. I’m sure they, the Founders, were saying “Never again”. An armed populace being, in part, a deterrence, to any government or country ever again putting their foot on our neck.

What would they have said if they had the technology we have today? Would they have said that arming the populace with ICBMs or nerve gas, or modern day artillery was a good idea? I doubt it. The founding Fathers were not stupid people.

Personally I think the government has gone way too far in restricting our rights , but my “Too Far” my be different than your ‘To Far”. In fact I think there is a wide division in that thought.

BS has stated that the NRA is in favor of restricting our 2nd A rights. That they would go out of business if our rights were completely restored. That the NRA cannot be our friend. That, I think is a rather long stretch and is nonsensical. I ask BS how he would go about defending the 2ndA. Would he go to Capitol Hill and plead our case? Would he stand stiff and not bend? If he did we would have lost our rights a long time ago.

The alternative to compromise in this case is anarchy. I know there are those of us that would have their gun pried from their cold dead hands. Brave rhetoric, dramatic, but I doubt that when rubber hits the road that there will be many cold dead hands.

What we have to do is use the tools we have that can effect change. And the mightiest tool in that box is the vote. Too few of us actually use that tool. If you are serious about us losing our rights the only reasonable course of action is to vote the bums out. Become a pest to your representative .The NRA puts out a list every voting period telling us who is our friend and who is not.

Regardless of what BS posts, ask yourself where we would be without the NRA?

What would they have said if they had the technology we have today? Would they have said that arming the populace with ICBMs or nerve gas, or modern day artillery was a good idea? I doubt it. The founding Fathers were not stupid people.

Personally I think the government has gone way too far in restricting our rights , but my “Too Far” my be different than your ‘To Far”. In fact I think there is a wide division in that thought.

Here's the problem DGeorge.... You say that technology has "outgrown" the 2nd Amendment. OK. So what would have been the proper answer to that? Then 2nd Amendment was written to ensure that the citizen retained the ability to overthrow their own government, by force if necessary. That is made clear by the Declaration of Independence. Some will say that that idea has become too dangerous in today's society. So what would the proper action have been when society, as a whole, agreed that it would be too dangerous to allow Joe Citizen to be armed to the same level as the Federal government in order to retain the ability to overthrow the Federal government by force? The proper action would have been to amend the Constitution using the methods established within the Constitution. Just like prohibition and then rescinding prohibition. But instead "we the people" allowed the government to "reasonably regulate" - which means infringe - the right to bear arms guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment. We must ask ourselves, why?

Again, "reasonably regulate" or as I said "Too far", I don't know what is reasonable. I do know that as a young man, I am 75, I could go into a hardware store and buy dynamite as easy as five pounds of nails. Are you comfortable with that in this day and age? It is ridiculous to think we as individual citizens could be as well armed as the government. By well armed I would include nuclear weapons and ICBMs . Is that even possible?

Red herring must be your favorite sea food.

I didn't just "say" the NRA is a full-on gun control .org, I linked to substantial scholarship and history that at least tends to validate the charge, if not outright prove it true. Heck, part of one of those links goes to scans of an American Rifleman magazine piece quoting a then-Executive VP of the NRA as saying the following:

Link Removed

On Jan. 16, 1968, in an address to the New York State University law school in Buffalo, Sen. Robert Kennedy, D-N.Y., stated: "I think it is a terrible indictment of the National Rifle Association that they haven’t supported any legislation to try and control the misuse of rifles and pistols in this country."

NRA Executive Vice President Franklin L. Orth took great umbrage at this remark in the October 1968 issue of the NRA’s magazine, The American Rifleman, terming Sen. Kennedy’s accusation "a great smear of a great American organization." Mr. Orth then went on to point out, "The National Rifle Association has been in support of workable, enforceable gun control legislation since its very inception in 1871."

Send them your money if you wish, but I'll guaran-damn-tee ya that all you'll ever get for it is government involvement (control) in how you are allowed to exercise your God-given rights. The NRA has never, and will never, stand for the premise that the Second Amendment means just exactly what it says in plain language. Neither will you apparently, and choose instead to resort to calling those of us who do believe such "anarchists" and insult our intelligence with admonitions to go check the grades the NRA puts out about politicians. I don't know what it is at this moment in time, but I know for a fact that Harry Reid was A-rated by the NRA at one time not long ago. Many politicians who get Ds and Fs from GOA get As and Bs from the NRA. Their grading system is meaningless, and at best, must be done on curve, because they're more harsh on Open Carry Texas members than they are on the majority of politicians. The President of the NRA called me a "felon" because he didn't think a Slide Fire Stock should be legal to own, and I do own one, even though the BATFE issued their opinion that it is fully legal at least two years before the gun-grabber Keene made that statement at a nationally-televised breakfast. You should watch, read, listen and learn how supportive of gun control President David Keene was in just 2013. Or ignore it and spew a bunch more red herrings, I don't care.

You can lead a gun-grabber lite to water, but you can't make him think.

Blues

Blues stringer,

N.R.A. = Not relevant anymore.

America's largest gun control organization

Archived from Citizen Review On Line

NOTE: — Be sure to read other articles on NRA "Lapses in Principle"

By Vin Suprynowicz

On Jan. 16, 1968, in an address to the New York State University law school in Buffalo, Sen. Robert Kennedy, D-N.Y., stated: "I think it is a terrible indictment of the National Rifle Association that they haven’t supported any legislation to try and control the misuse of rifles and pistols in this country."

NRA Executive Vice President Franklin L. Orth took great umbrage at this remark in the October 1968 issue of the NRA’s magazine, The American Rifleman, terming Sen. Kennedy’s accusation "a great smear of a great American organization." Mr. Orth then went on to point out, "The National Rifle Association has been in support of workable, enforceable gun control legislation since its very inception in 1871."

Really? But the NRA has always been portrayed in the mainstream press as a radical anti-gun-control organization. Is it? Has it ever been?

In that 1968 issue of The American Rifleman, associate editor Alan C. Webber picked up the defense of the NRA’s gun-control credentials. I quote again from the NRA’s own, official organ:

"Item: The late Karl T. Frederick, an NRA president, served for years as special consultant with the Commissioners on Uniform State Laws to frame the Uniform Firearms Act of 1930. ... Salient provisions of the Act require a license to carry a pistol concealed on one’s person or in a vehicle; require the purchaser of a pistol to give information about himself which is submitted by the seller to the local police authorities; specify a 48-hour time lapse between application for purchase and delivery."

Remember, I’m not asking whether you think these are good ideas. I’m asking whether the NRA is the pack of wild-eyed, take-no-prisoners, "pure language of the Second Amendment, take my gun from my cold dead fingers" radical extremists which the national press corps would have us believe. In fact, can the NRA rightly be said to be a "gun rights" organization, at all?

"Item," Editor Webber of The American Rifleman continued back in 1968: "The NRA supported the National Firearms Act of 1934 which taxes and requires registration of such firearms as machine guns, sawed-off rifles and sawed-off shotguns. ...

"NRA currently backs several Senate and House bills which, through amendment, would put new teeth into the National and Federal Firearms Acts. ... "

Nor is there much room to believe the NRA has changed its stripes in the past 23 years.

In Utah this year, Utah Gun Owners Alliance lobbyist and M.D. Sarah Thompson had worked to get through "a good bill that would have honored concealed-carry permits from any other state without restriction," notes Dennis Fusaro, who himself was let go from GOA in March for not being cooperative enough with the gun-grabbers at the NRA.

In the final days of the session, however, NRA lobbyist Brian Judy arrived in Salt Lake City and made a deal to accept an amendment that the out-of-state permits would only be honored for 60 days.

"Sarah had the senators pretty well under control and was pushing them with grass-roots pressure, and then Brian Judy goes in the back room and accepts this bad amendment," Fusaro reports.

Says Thompson: "Read their magazine. The NRA helped write the National Firearms Act of 1934, the Gun Control Act of 1968. ... Here in Utah they backed our Olympic gun ban" (restricting the right of Utah citizens to carry permitted weapons at Olympic venues while the winter Olympics are in town, so as not to offend the hoplophobic foreigners).

"In the 2000 (Utah) Legislature the NRA backed a midnight gun control bill that vastly expanded the list of people prohibited from owning guns in the state, a retroactive ban on people who were adjudicated years ago. As a result of this I get calls from people who have been hunters for years who now have to go through a background check, who did something wrong as a juvenile 30 or 40 years ago, and they’ve lost their gun rights."

The test case for whether GOA or the NRA remains a true "gun-rights organization" will be "what’s going on with (President) Bush’s proposal for Project Safe Neighborhoods," Thompson warns.

Project Safe Neighborhoods is designed to prove the Bush administration is not against "sensible" gun control, she explains, "and the tagline on it is, ‘If you use a gun illegally you will do hard time.’

"But you don’t have prosecutors saying ‘We're not going to prosecute rapists because they're really good people.’ That’s not the problem. Those laws are already enforced. So the people they’re really going after are people who are violating one of the 20,000 unconstitutional gun laws, people who put a flash suppressor on their rifle, or have a high capacity magazine on their firearm, or who drive by the school with a hunting rifle in the back of their truck; it’s all the unconstitutional, politically correct gun control laws they’re going to be enforcing."

from http://www.lvrj.com/cgi-bin/printable.cgi?/lvrj_home/2001/Jun-03-Sun-2001/opinion/16231491.html

Vin Suprynowicz, the Review-Journal’s assistant editorial page editor, is author of "Send in the Waco Killers." His column appears Sunday.

smalline

That's the business they are in.

Awake yet?

You and BS certainly know what you are against. Obviously you hold a grudge that goes back to 1934 and slightly more recently in 1968. The NRA has been around since 1865 there must be other transgressions. I am an NRA member and will continue to support that organization.

Some how, after all your complaints, you state that, " the test case of whether the GOA or the NRA remains a true gun rights organization......". How could the NRA even be in consideration as a gun rights organization if, as you state, it is not even relevant anymore.

I believe that guns must be kept out of the hands of those people that miss-use them. I believe that committing a crime while armed should be a serious offense and require some hard time. I believe that some military weapons should be kept out of the hands of the general populace, such as grenade launchers, shoulder fired missiles, flamethrowers, and C4.
I do not believe the Founding Fathers would disagree with me.

Now what do you and BS believe in? How far do you think the 2nd A should extend? What would you have the NRA do. And when you, if you could, abolish the NRA what will you replace it with. Do you vote?

You and BS certainly know what you are against. Obviously you hold a grudge that goes back to 1934 and slightly more recently in 1968. The NRA has been around since 1865 there must be other transgressions. I am an NRA member and will continue to support that organization.

You apparently can't be bothered to read the posts you are ostensibly responding to. An ex-Executive VP of the NRA stated that the .org has supported gun control "since its very inception in 1871." I'm guessing that VP was better-informed than you about how long the NRA has been around.

If you want to call it a "grudge," have at it, but it's nothing more than telling the truth about an organization whose very upper-echelon executives have repeated the same truth more than once.

I believe that guns must be kept out of the hands of those people that miss-use them.

No, I don't think you do. I know for a fact that the NRA doesn't believe that, as every major piece of gun control legislation that they've supported, whether up-front or through provable back-channels, has placed prior restraints of one sort or another making it illegal to own all manner of weapons, including whatever you mean by the generic "guns." Nobody who believes in a literal reading of the Second Amendment believes also that there isn't a constitutional path to denying someone various rights. It's called due process, not prior restraint. It's called a criminal trial, with whatever charges being levied are proven to a reasonable doubt, not prior restraint. It's call putting people who misuse weapons in jail/prison until they're safe to release back into public, not prior restraint placed upon people who have done nothing wrong or "illegal."

I believe that committing a crime while armed should be a serious offense and require some hard time.

I believe the crime committed should be the totality of what a jury decides a case on. Adding a bunch of extraneous information only serves to confuse a jury and distract from the crime they're charged with deciding the reasonable doubt (or lack thereof as the case may be) of. Just being armed should never "enhance" a given crime. Using the arms to harm others is already a crime, and if death or particularly serious harm ensues from those uses of arms, then enhance the crime on the basis of the severity of harm done to others, not on whether or not they were armed in the first place. Laws like the one you're advocating for in this quote are easily misapplied in the justice system. Even you, a kindly 75 year old man, could get caught up in this kind of convoluted law. Stranger things have certainly happened. Careful what you ask for, you just might get it up close and personal.

I believe that some military weapons should be kept out of the hands of the general populace, such as grenade launchers, shoulder fired missiles, flamethrowers, and C4.

Grenade launchers and flame throwers are legal to own right now. Spent recoilless rifle tubes are also legal to own. There's even some way for non-military or non-law-enforcement personnel to get their hands on C4 (or more or less equivalent) for demolition, mining, tunneling through mountains etc., so basically you got four swings and four strikes. Might want to go back to ICBMs and other canard-o'-matic responses.

I do not believe the Founding Fathers would disagree with me.

Who cares what you believe? Find a quote from multiple Founders (you used the plural, so substantiate your "belief" in plural terms) that supports this nonsense. Best of luck with that. I mean, you gotta be one helluva gun-grabber when NFA34, GCA68 and the BATFE supports our right to own heavier-than-small-caliber weapons even more than you do.

Now what do you and BS believe in? How far do you think the 2nd A should extend? What would you have the NRA do. And when you, if you could, abolish the NRA what will you replace it with. Do you vote?

The 2A extends as far as the plain English meanings of the words contained within it, "shall not be infringed" apparently being the hardest to understand phrase ever spoken to gun grabbers in this country.

I would have the NRA quit misrepresenting themselves as a rights advocacy organization. They sell a product, period. That product's name is "False Hope" that any organization can do for you that which you don't have the cajones to do for yourself, and they make you pay for that False Hope to boot.

I neither have nor desire to have the ability to abolish the NRA. If my telling the same truths about them that some of their highest-echelon leaders have divulged over the decades helps others to see who their friends are and who they ain't, then I get everything out of posting those truths that I have a desire or right to expect.

Vote? Vote for who? The lesser of two evils? Show me a politician who isn't motivated by larceny in his heart, and I'll show you an accomplished liar who has convinced you that he/she is something they're not. But that isn't even necessary anyway when one admits up front that they're voting for some lesser degree of evil that they've rationalized in their mind is somehow OK. The lesser of two evils is just as evil as the greater of the two, because evil isn't doled out in degrees of acceptability. One is either evil or not, and fartin' around with trying to do God's job of judging between the better or worse of the two ain't somethin' I'm about to indulge in.

I do a much better job of running my own life than any stinkin' politician could ever do, so Hell no I don't vote for someone to further usurp my right to live as I please as long as I don't harm anybody else. As Lysander Spooner once said, "A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years." I vote with my feet, my wallet, and if/when tyranny comes to my little fiefdom-in-the-back woods, as an armed citizen what I vote with in that instance will count for much more than someone who spent their life reporting to a voting booth like freakin' sheep to a pen to support the same hacks of government who have been disarming them incrementally for over 150 years.

If you think I'm full of BS, then call out my words as BS. If you need a shorthand for my user name though, I would prefer "Blues."

Thanks,

Blues

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back