Best Revolver for Women

Cowboy615

Ladies, what would you suggest as the best top of the line revolver for females for concealed carry/home defense? My girlfriend has hinted that she wants a revolver and I was wondering what would be your suggestions. I have an LCP and I've heard that the LCR is quite powerful and is too much for most smaller women. Please help. :) I am looking to spend around $200-$500.

Don't underestimate you wife. I shoot a 9mm and would not really want anything larger. My wife shoots a .45 and is a much better shot than me.

I think she would carry an. .88 magnum if her purse was big enough. :)

[video]http://m.videosurf.com/video/1227067761 [/video]

Don’t under estimate your wife, I carry a 9mm and my wife a .45. She handles that .45 better than I can handle the 9mm.

She would carry an 88 magnum if she could get it in her purse.

The LCR in .357 is heavier than the .38 making recoil more subdued if shooting .38s. Plus you still have the option of using .357 ammo.

I know it's not a revolver, but my wife and I went out looking for her. And after handling numerous firearms, she came home with a ruger lcp. And to make the deal even sweeter I liked it so much, I grabbed one also withdrawn the Crimson trace laser on it. 6 + 1 instead of 5 or 6 rounds of a revolver. Also they offer a plus 2 extension for the magazine on impactguns.com. $305 without laser and $450 with it. Worth a trip to your local FFL. Let her put it in her hand I think she might change her mind. Good luck which ever way you go. Ruger LCR felt pretty good, or the Lady S&W.

The right revolver for her is the right revolver for her end of discussion. Women, just like men have their capabilities and preferences. I have often been surprised by them.

Some women prefer the smaller lighter firearms, some like my wife, prefer a full frame 1911. You really do not know what is going to work for her until you go out to the range and try a few things first. Having her take a few trips to the gun store and handling as many as possible would not be a bad thing either.

@doc

DocMusTang got it right. Only she will know what gun is right for her. Take her shopping and let her choose. If she is not on board with the decision no matter how many recommendations you get she will not be happy with it. And if she doesn't like it, she won't shoot it. Buying a gin is a major life decision like buying a house or a car.

I think these threads are funny.

Nobody would ask "What is the best gun for a man?", but, apparently, women are generic and one size fits all..

Haha. It's not meant to be offensive. Women generally ... Again, generally don't like huge guns. However, she's shot my G19 and loved it. But the revolver idea is grained in her head.

Well I personally love my H&R small frame hammerless. My ex girlfriend loved it, until the trigger spring broke.

My wife prefers my S&W 640, but shooting .38 Specials. I think the Ruger SP 101 would do just as well. I think a lot of the Gender bias is based on the perception that gals all have little hands. I worked with a couple of Woman Marine (WM) aircraft mechanics that could palm a basketball! Both of them could handle a Beretta M9 better than any of us guys.

I'm a little guy and I have small hands, which is the main reason I am attracted to the J Frames as they fit my hand perfectly. I would think it would be the same for any of the more petite girls out there.

I prefer all my guns in the 1911 platform regardless of frame size. I can't stand revolvers. So, put me down as ditto for let her choose for herself. Try to rent or borrow as many different kinds as you can, go to the range, and shoot them all with her. Encourage her to choose the one she looks forward to practicing with. The airweight revolvers are painful to shoot more than a couple times, but I can shoot my .45 1911 for hours.

There so many firearms to select from, like the Lady Smith&Wesson, Ruger Sp 101, etc., but why does one assume a revolver is what a lady really wants. Let her pick out her own firearm, as it is not so much the look, or easiest to use, but how the firearm feels in her hand. Yes a semi-autos do have a tendency to stove pipe or even jam but with practice both can be resolved.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back