Best pocket gun with a safety

Neal

I have a Kimber 45 ultra carry that is my main carry gun, but sometimes it is a little large for carrying in the summer with shorts and a T shirt. I am thinking of picking up a Keltec or Ruger 380 pocket gun, but I am a little uneasy about their not having a safety. I would be interested in feedback on the smallest pocket gun you can get with a safety, or input on why I should not be uneasy about carrying a model that does not have a safety.

Thanks,

Neal

I have a Ruger LCP with a Crimson laserguard. Very accurate little gun. I also have a Ruger LCR and the Crimson laser is sitting on my desk waiting to be installed. It's just a bit larger then the LCP. Both easy to carry.

I definitely recommend learning to get comfortable with carrying without a safety. Way to many stories of people, even experienced people, forgetting about the safety in the panic of a self defense situation. Just recently saw a video of Jewerly store owner getting shot over and over again in a robbery attempt. He had a gun and drew it but forgot about the safety which he left on and wasn't able to shoot back. It's a miracle that he survived.

Carry the gun around the house a little at a time. That's what I did. Surprising how fast you get used to it.

My apologies for not paying attention. The two guns I mentioned do not have a safety. They do have a heavy enough trigger pull so that it would be hard to activate by accident. The LCR is hammerless which is the way to go for a pocket revolver.

The Keltec and the LCP have fairly long trigger pulls, while not a safety, this helps minimize the chance of an accidental trigger pull caused by something other than your finger getting inside the trigger guard.

I hear what you are saying, but I would have to think that in a panic that there would be a real change for an unintentional discharge when you grab for the gun to get it out of your pocket.

Neal

I hear what you are saying, but I would have to think that in a panic that there would be a real change for an unintentional discharge when you grab for the gun to get it out of your pocket.

Neal

if im in a panic situation i dont want to have to fumble with no safety....pull trigger...goes bang...thats just my opinion though...i have ruger lcp, carry it every day all day (in a small uncle mikes holster) dont even no its there most of the time...i am an auto tech 20 + yrs . on a daily basis I'm in every imaginable position known to man :fie: including upside down standing on head in floorboards under a dash. I haven't had any hiccups yet ! hope i don't either !

Mike

Neal, I am fairly new to carrying too, but I don't use a safety on any of my guns. If it is in a proper holster and you ALWAYS practice safe handling, including not putting your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire, you should be good to go. I don't want to have to remember the safety if the smelly stuff hits the fan... :eek:

The few autos that I own that have a safety I never use. My HK and Glock that I carry and use most often have no safety. If I have to pick up another gun to use I want it to function the same as the others so the safety is not used.

Have KelTec 380, Berrata 32, and compact glocks, but I also prefer a carry gun with a safety. I purchased a Walther PPK 380 and it is far and away my favorite carry Gun. I like to take people shooting, (and very often first time shooters) and almost without exception, they lfall in love with and prefer the weight, feel, and accuracy of the Walther over all of my other guns. As regards a gun with a safety taking more time or the user forgetting to take the safety off, I believe that is a matter of experience and thought. I am sure there will be other opinions, but I would encourage you to shoot the Walther 380 and carry it for a few weeks and make your own decision if it is as good as I feel it is..

Enjoy

I have two pocket .380's: a Sig P238 and a Ruger LCP. The Sig is a 1911 style, minus the grip safety. The Sigs are pricey but, of all the .380's, it most resembles your Kimber.

Sig P238 link Link Removed

I too worried about the LCP in a pocket when I first bought it. My .02 cents is that there are two keys to pocket carry. The first is a pocket holster that completely covers the trigger while the gun is in the pocket. This will increase your comfort level (and reduce lint in the barrel). The second is to practice drawing from the pocket. With both of my guns, I practice with a training round in the chamber. I draw with my trigger finger fully extended along the slide as the gun comes out of the pocket. With the Sig, I also practice thumbing the safety as soon as the gun clears the pocket. I am now totally comfortable carrying either gun in a pocket, but I prefer my Sig. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Only guys that have carried primitive true single action guns like the 1911 that
NEEDS a safety are concerned about safeties on other guns. The reality
is the other guns cannot fire accidentially unless you intend to fire them.

The point is you need Double Action at least for the first shot and all of those
guns are safe to carry with a round in the chamber except for maybe the real old
double action revolvers with the hammer resting on a primer.

Some of those double action guns have triggers that are so hard to pull
you will be more worried about being able to fire them when you WANT to
than firing when you DONT want to.

Hope I didnt offend re the "primitive" comment about your Kimber.

I carry a Taurus PT-709 with summer cloths, It is a very small 9mm and easy to hide. When I have heavier clothes, I like my Ruger P95. Ruger is smother action but harder to hide

No offense. I will say that I like the idea that you have to cock and lock the unit for it to be ready to use. It is one more step that someone unfamiliar with the gun is not likely to take and end up firing by accident because they were nosing around.

Neal

Pocket gun w/safety

It just so happens I just picked up a Taurus 327, 2" barrel, good grips and decent sights. It also has a form of a safety, but it requires carrying a small key on your keychain and can turn the safety manually behind the trigger. It is not any help in an emergency, but it it safe for those that would want that. As for me, I will depend upon my intelligence to be safe.

It would be difficult to accidentally pull the trigger. I have a Bersa 380 with a safety that i never carry, I carry a LCP everyday. The safety for me is not to leave a bullet in the chamber. Since I am new to carrying, this makes me feel safer. But I can't imagine having enough pressure that would pull the trigger on accident. The safety would slow me down. Is it off or on? Too confusing in a tussle.

I would recommend a subcompact 9 mm over a 380 given the availability of ammunition.

I went to a store that had a great sale on some 380s but since ammo is not plentiful, I refrained from purchasing it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back