Bersa .380

Hey Y'all: Hate to spoil the party but watched someone with a Bersa 380 during CCWP class have to give up on the gun because of problems. Look at latest issue of NRA's Rifleman for good review of all small 380's--you will note that all of them except for the mega$$ one, had some kind of problem initially so take my top comment with a grain of salt. the key seems to be to really "fluff and buff" your new 380 and run thru at least 100 rounds (probably more) for "conditioning" I have a Kel tec P3at--no problems whatsoever and it is the lightest and smallest and cheapest. Just sayin. I almost bought the Bersa myself, even with the above comment but opted for the lightest--cannot stand anything in my pockets or pants and the lighter and smaller the better.

With my Bersa 380, I had several failures when it was brand new.

After a couple hundred rounds, that number changed to zero.

-Doc

Zero failures out of the box on the Sig P238...
I have read others that have had issues with the P238.. But you know what. If you look around, you will find people that have had problems with just about every gun out there. Taurus, Colt, S&W, etc. Etc..
I think going in, you have to know that you have to go shoot some rounds through the gun to break it in, an build confidence in it's reliability..

As you can tell, I purchased a Skyy 9mm (the company has since changed it's name to Sccy because of a lawsuit by the vodka people). It was used, and within the 1st 7000 guns produced.
1st time I took it out, I had an issue with the recoil spring..
I called up Sccy - they sent me two recoil springs in the mail right away and for free..
I also had a problem with the Safety kicking on during shooting (a very common problem with the older versions).
I called up Sccy - they sent me an upgrade kit for the safety, I replaced the safety and haven't had a problem since..
Now if you buy a Sccy that S/N is above 30000, the safety is already fixed.
Sccy has been great to work with, and I paid less than $300 for a 10 shot 9mm with two magazines.
The gun has been flawless since I replaced the two parts..
I've read too many stories about some of these high dollar guns and the companies poor customer service. Even though I have had two issues, the company has stood behind their product, and been nice about it too.

Remember.. If it's mechanical, you will have problems with it. Some more than others, some sooner than others..

A lot has been said on this thread, and I have read up on the Bersa .... I can't see paying 600 bucks for a Sig in the .380 when I can get a Bersa for half that. Personally ... I held both, the sig felt better in my hand, the Bersa operates like a full size pistol (the sig does not) I can always buy different grips for the Bersa and still be no where near the price of the Sig.

Personally I think the Germans get to much "Hero Worship" for making super-duper stuff. Granted, I may be able to run 250,000 round through the Sig with out a glich and only 25,000 through the Bersa. But hey .... I'll break in the Bersa with a few hundred rounds, then wear the dam thing on my hip and practice with my Ruger MK III 22 / 45.

My wife paid $450 for her Sig.. Yes, it is a bit pricey.. (BTW - it is made in NH - USA)
But, that's what my wife picked, and she is very pleased with it.. It may be better than me telling her to get the Bersa (Or anything else), then she not like it, then sell it at a loss, then buy something else..

I paid under $300 for my gun, and I'm happy with it. Hers was 50% more than my gun.. but she is happy.. What's that worth???

I have a kel tec p3at. It fits right in my pocket and there's no exposed hammer to get snagged on the way out. My brother just got a ruger lcp 380 which he says has smoother action than the p3at.

I have a kel tec p3at. It fits right in my pocket and there's no exposed hammer to get snagged on the way out. My brother just got a ruger lcp 380 which he says has smoother action than the p3at.

I don't mind the exposed hammer on the Bersa as it will get stashed in a Fobus holster.

I have a Micro Desert Eagle in .380. It's a neat little gun. I can put it most anywhere, but mainly its strapped to my ankle as a BUG in winter. In the summer its in my pocket in a cheap nylon pocket holster so it doesn't print. It was a little pricey but being that it is so small it is almost always on me.
I wish beretta made a smaller .380 than the Cheetah. My wife has a Cheetah and I love plinking with it, but its a bit too much for me to strap to my ankle.

Thank You sir, A liitle more home work to do. Brother and I never talked 32, but I think a viable option for anything she'll need in close.
My Sister uses a Bersa Thunder.380 and has no problem double taping, and she is small boned tiny wrist type. I use/carry the same in the CC. Both have finger groves on the f/hand frame. Her barrel is a little longer than my 3.2" barrel. I really like mine, as does my Sis, hers. She hasn't had any trouble "limp-wristing".

Correct me if I am wrong (I'm sure you will)

I thought Bersa's were cheap throw-away ghetto guns.

Here is your correction, you are absolutely wrong. Bersa probably makes the most overlooked handgun, because of the price. They are excellent guns for the money!

I have a Micro Desert Eagle in .380. It's a neat little gun. I can put it most anywhere, but mainly its strapped to my ankle as a BUG in winter. In the summer its in my pocket in a cheap nylon pocket holster so it doesn't print. It was a little pricey but being that it is so small it is almost always on me.
I wish beretta made a smaller .380 than the Cheetah. My wife has a Cheetah and I love plinking with it, but its a bit too much for me to strap to my ankle.

I am not familiar with the acronym B U G, would someone care to explain ?

(Back Up Gun) ... ? ?

I currently carry a Beretta PX4 Storm in a .40 S&W, at times it is a little bulky and once in awhile I get tired of adjusting my pants due to its weight. Also summer is around the corner and due to its size it is a little harder to conceal ........ so here is my question ?

I am thinking about buying a Bersa .380, install Laser sights to gain better shot placement and load the pistol with Buffalo Bore +P ammo for summer carry. I have read reviews at Gunblast.com on this weapon and was impressed, I've went to a local Gun Shop and held one, they're freaking dandy !

Guys ... Gals ... I welcome your opinions. Any one carry a .380 ?

I carry a Bersa Thunder 380 when I get tired of my S&W M&P 40...The BT 380 is a great handgun at a great price. It is 100% reliable, fits my hand good, I like everything about it and can't recommend highly enough.

Hey Y'all: Per the latest NRA Rifleman, there are many 380 choices out there, with S&W coming along in May with their new fully lasered model. I tried shooting the Bersa before I purchased a pocket gun and found it to be a nice looking, well made, good shooting firearm. My only problem was that there are others out there that are lighter and smaller and for my pockets, lighter and smaller is a first priority. The Bersa is one of the less expensive, which is good but it was just a little too big for me. Ended up with the kel tec P3AT---no problems whatsoever--smallest, lightest, cheapest. If you haven't purchased yet, perhaps you can wait til May and at least look at the S&W---comes fully equipped with a laser so no add on cost although total cost will probably be somewhat higher than the Bersa

Nubie to the forum....

Greetings all, I'm new to the forum, and just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth. I'm a medium sized middle-age guy (175#) who carries, and, as a design grad., I've done my own personal exhaustive study on what I consider a good carry, based on what's currently out there. My main carry is either a Bersa compact 9mm SA/DA, or a Taurus Millenium Pro PT 111 9mm in Fobus holsters. As for my "backup" or constant carry piece, I was really torn in my decision, with all the compact guns coming out these days. I looked at the P3AT, and LCP, but the chamber shroud at the feed ramp does not completely surround the shell, therefore nixxing the use of ANY hot .380 loads, which is exactly what you need to shoot , in .380. Aside from that, magazine release in these pocket rockets is way too easy, and coupled with the pronounced recoil, could spell disaster. Easily concealable, but bad-mannered in my opinion. Sigs and Walthers seem great, but very picky on ammo choice for smooth, problem free operation, and expensive for a working class Joe. Jiminez and Cobra are never an option , if you value your life at all. Guardians, Seecamps, Rohrbaughs, etc. all seem slightly under-engineered and reliable for what they charge. I had a Keltec PF-9 for a year, and I relly liked that gun. Simple, fairly reliable, and definitly easy to conceal & draw. But where it won in the light-compact category, it wore out its welcome in the manners department. With hot loads and its light weight, it was a real challenge to control, do accurate double-taps, and keep fire concentrated in a a small area. While I did not want to let it go, I recently traded it in on a Bersa 380CC ( a melted compact version of their wildly popular Thunder 380 series), and believe I have finally found my "Sweet Spot", constant carry companion. It seems to be a great balance of engineering and design features, in a simple, affordable package, that grows on you daily. I find it over-engineered and an excellent value.........Fixed barrel-SIMPLE takedown and maintainence; handles ANYTHING I feed it-FMJ, JHP or frangible up to +p+, Flawless feeding; Decocker safety, slide lock & hold open, and intelligently placed mag release: very comfortable, ergonomic feel. While it IS a tad bigger and slightly heavier than than the rest of the "compacts" ( about the same size as the PF_9), it hides and carries well front pocket in a size 3 Blackhawk pocket holster, Back pocket in a Galco leather pocket holster, and IWB in a Galco or sleeping dog retainer holster. I have to be careful going to work or to my favorite Pub, as I am constantly forgetting it's on me. And between the nominal extra couple ounces and the amazing trigger( 8# DA and 4 1/4# SA), firing manners are exemplary and accurate. At 7 yards, stress firing, double-taps or rapid fire, I can keep all 9 shots in the head area, all day long, and feel very comfortable doing it. Now THAT is a pistol I can not only enjoy, but have complete confidence in when the chips are down. Like I mentioned...I looked at a lot of factors and specs, and this gun is a very well-designed, simple, basic, and balanced package of features at a very affordale price (250-299), and value-for-value, I feel, is one of the best "secrets" out there in the compact gun arena. And Gunblast online magazine gave an awesome review, complete with a picture of the same 9-shot rapid fire groups in the head area of the target that I was talking about. It's not a SIG, KAHR,COLT, GLOCK or SMITH. Nor is it a RUGER, KELTEC, TAURUS, GUARDIAN, SEECAMP OR ROHRBAUGH. But it does fit right in the middle, and offers the average working class Joe an excellent carry piece, with great quality and reliability, all the features you'd ever want, and at a price that would make even the most skeptical wife blush. No, I don't work for Bersa, but I have gone to great pains, and tried a lot of guns to reach this decision, so hopefully, I could help out some of the new folks who are taking up the cause and priviledge to carry, but don't know where to start. Try as many as you can out, and then check out the 380CC....you won't be disappointed! Not to mention, it's not hard to sell the wife on, and they usually want one too! Thanks for letting me rant about my passion ....it beats medication. Angus aka. Twoheartedwolf

Hey twoheartedwolf: Well said post--very complete and detailed. Obviously you studied the pros and cons of many 380s etc and made your conclusion based on certain details that fit your due diliegence study profile. I was looking for a 380 about a year ago and had the opportunity, before I purchased, to handle and shoot the Bersa--I really liked it--for the money I thought it was a really fine firearm. Unfortunately, my input on what I wanted in a pocket CC firearm revolved around weight and size--I cannot stand anything in my pockets or hanging from my pants be it a wallet, keys, etc etc. I compromised on having "something" in my pocket when it came to the desire to CC and I just found the difference in size and weight between the Bersa and the KT P3AT to be a deciding factor. I still think the Bersa offerred a bit more in "gunsmithship" but the P3AT has been perfect from Day 1 in practice and even though its lighter weight and smaller size still cause me to think I am carrying around an elephant, IMO it is the closest compromise to my needs and likes. Regardless of what we CC, lets hope we only carry and practice and never have a reason to do anything else. I would also like to point out that I have convinced myself (my opinion) that the 380 in the hands of CCers like myself, who are far cry from being firearms pros, is made for close-in defense (less than 10 ft or so--that is why the 380s usually have minimal sights) and that proficiency in point shoot techniques are very important. It is amazing how, with some practice, your eyes and nose will lead your arm, hand, and eventually your 380 to center mass in less time than it takes to sight or even aim a laser.

I've owned a Bersa 380 for almost 20yrs. I only had ONE ftf when it was new; and I was using an old after market magazine. I can't even begin to guess how many 1000's of rds this gun has seen.

Recently, I began noticing a slight indent on the primers of my carry ammo. I thought maybe the firing pin spring needed replacing. I took it to my GS who took the gun completely apart and found it only needed a better cleaning. (The only thing I've ever done was a field strip & clean.) He inspected every single part and told me "nothing" else was needed. His exact words were: "Everything still looks like new!"

I can HIGHLY recommend a Bersa 380 without any reservations!

Bersa carry and accessories....

Hey folks, just stumbled on a cool website of interest for concealed carry. Check out smartcarry.com
They have an inside the pants carry pouch for pistols, and must be pretty comfortable and concealable, as federal air marshals and Navy Seals have ordered bunches of them, and a Bersa, or any of your favorite carry's would do well in them. Also on the website catalog are various other pertinant products such as sight paints, car holsters, and several moly-lube products from powder to grease to oil to keep your bersa, or what have you running slick. I personally use CLP to clean and lube, then follow up with a moly product on the slide rails, and the results are fantastic!!! Plus, it's a cottage industry, with real personal attention, so your money won't be going to some corporate pecker-heads. Made by gun owners, FOR gun owners. I'm ordering one today for my little 380cc and extra mags. Also check out condorsflight.com, a website by Bersa owners, For Bersa owners....anything from holsters, factory mags, apparel, cleaning kits to lasers and mounts for the entire Bersa line of pistols. Members of Bersatalk.com get a 10% discount on orders. Awesome, friendly folks to deal with....check em out if you're a Bersa fan. Sold three people on a bersa on a trip to the range last night....two 380CC's and a full size 9mm hi-cap. This is becomming a sickness with me...I believe they affectionately call it Bersaitis. But it keeps the voices in my head quiet!! Hope this helps some of you out there! Angus

I currently carry a Beretta PX4 Storm in a .40 S&W, at times it is a little bulky and once in awhile I get tired of adjusting my pants due to its weight. Also summer is around the corner and due to its size it is a little harder to conceal ........ so here is my question ?

I am thinking about buying a Bersa .380, install Laser sights to gain better shot placement and load the pistol with Buffalo Bore +P ammo for summer carry. I have read reviews at Gunblast.com on this weapon and was impressed, I've went to a local Gun Shop and held one, they're freaking dandy !

Guys ... Gals ... I welcome your opinions. Any one carry a .380 ?

The Bersa 380 is a great, weapon but rather large for a 380, so if I was going to have that size gun i would go with a 9mm there are several makes donr in 9mm, no larger than the bersa 380

Hey Rocket: Exactly my thoughts. I liked the Bersa 380 but did not like its size and weight in my pocket. The lighter the better for me and the Kel Tec P3AT fit that standard better than all the others out there. Did I truly appreciate other makes and models more than the KT--yes--but just knowing myself, size and weight were going to end up being the deciding factor whether I bothered to pocket carry all the time.PS: It has been perfect--never has faulted.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back