benefits of where you carry

cdh718

I'm a new gun owner and I just receivied my Utah CCW and I need some advice. I was wondering if anyone can give tell the benefits of carrying inside the waist as opposed to outside the waist or in the small of the back. Is it just a comfort thing? Or is it more of a reaction, draw time thing?

Yup.

its a mix of comfort, concealment, and speed.

IWB: more concealable. Generally less comfortable (although a lot of people have very good results with crossbreed style holsters), pants need to be bought 1-2 sizes bigger than normal, and slower to get to due to extra layers in the way during the drawing process. If openly carried in an iwb, or frequently practicing drawing from concealment, speed is negligible.

OWB: more comfortable, regular sized pants can be worn. Harder to conceal. If open carried, generally faster due to the firearm being sightly away from the body.

Just a few points, so many more. In the end, its a personal choice, different people find different methods that best suits their abilities.

But be careful with sob carry. If you fall on your back you can break your back.

While certainly worth considering how many times in your life have you fallen on your back? Let alone doing an activity that you'd normally be armed?

While certainly worth considering how many times in your life have you fallen on your back? Let alone doing an activity that you'd normally be armed?

but if someone pins you up against a wall car or bed ...you're f'd because you won't be able to get to it!
when i get my gear i'm going with an iwb crossbreed supertuck or similar at about 330 with a slight forward cant which seems the most logical to me alot of guys like two oclock but i don't want a muzzle pointing anywere near my crotch whilst sitting and at the 330 with a slight cant i can sit stand bend and the muzzle be pointing at anyone or my body

But be careful with sob carry. If you fall on your back you can breack your back.

^This has actually been the case for a lot of police officers in the past who fell or were knocked down and suffered back injuries from carrying their backup in the sob position. I prefer IWB with a Crossbreed. It avoids this danger and is actually very comfortable.

I know it's not that popular today, but since I am physically disabled with a back issue I carry in a shoulder holster for the most part. I find it easy to draw, easy to conceal, and I don't have anything dragging on my waist. However, in some circumstances, when I do carry at the waist, I do so at 11 o'clock, cross draw, IWB. Again, easy to conceal with even a light shirt, easy to draw, but there is some pressure on my back which is why I use the should holster most of the time. In the summer time, I simply wear a vest for concealment. I think one of the first replies was on target though; try 'em all and use what's best for you. If I listened to others, I may never have even tried a shoulder rig, there's some real push back on them for some reason. Best of luck.

cdh you may find this vid helpful ..when i watched it i also thought of our poster princess who was recently held up at her job i think she would also benefit from it
about different types of holsters and guns i for one being new to conceal carry enjoyed it

Rich_S,

One of our founding fathers once said, Hopefully, we may never require having a gun on our person, but if we do, we will need that gun very badly. (Not an exact quote)

I am 68 and have had a handgun since a teenager on a farm, and only needed one once. (And I needed it very badly.) It stopped a carjacking on me from a BG with a knife and caused him to lose interest in what he was attempting to do. (No shots were fired.")

Another saying I like is "When seconds count, a cop is only minutes away."

Anyway, I carry IWB, with an LCP with light clothes and a Ruger SP101 .357 with winter clothes.

I dont know how tall you are, but when your 5'3" and carrying groceries and someone is stealing beer and sprints out of the store like a bat out of hell and pushes you out of the way.....well i fell right on my back. im glad i was appendix carrying at the time. if my small self was to be raped, theyd probably push me on my back.

i didnt carry when i was in college (i couldnt) but i was pushed back and almost trampled on when uva beat fsu and rushed the field in 2005. lots of people went to the hospital. im sure a shtf moment could me much similar.

As was said by many before try them all and use what works for you. Mine vary depending on circumstances and gun.

Yup.

its a mix of comfort, concealment, and speed.

IWB: more concealable. Generally less comfortable (although a lot of people have very good results with crossbreed style holsters), pants need to be bought 1-2 sizes bigger than normal, and slower to get to due to extra layers in the way during the drawing process. If openly carried in an iwb, or frequently practicing drawing from concealment, speed is negligible.

OWB: more comfortable, regular sized pants can be worn. Harder to conceal. If open carried, generally faster due to the firearm being sightly away from the body.

Just a few points, so many more. In the end, its a personal choice, different people find different methods that best suits their abilities.

Eye opener. I never thought about the pants size thing.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back