AZ border militia

SFC

A longstanding local border-militia group is trying to form a paramilitary squad with permission to confront smugglers or other suspected wrongdoers.

Cochise County Militia founder Bill Davis put out the word Monday that the group is planning to form a “private military company.”Although that category normally refers to contractors such as the company formerly known as Blackwater, the militia’s paramilitary squad would not work for money, Davis said

Read more: AZ border militia to offer armed patrols in Cochise County

As much as I don't like criminals, illegals, drugs and other crap comming accross our border, I am not sure this is the best method. Since most of us only have crappy media BS to review, there is no telling what is really going on in the area. I don't live there and don't know their situation.

Now wait a minute here..... we have a volunteer border patrol force willing and able to assist in border protection? Hell yeah! ... and, apparently, MOST cost effective.

Oh, just one kicker, they are duly sworn in as either Fed border agents or Sheriff's Deputies (Auxilliaries) and as such are under exactly the same "Rules of Enguagement" as any other LEO. That might keep any ideas of vigilanteeism under control.

Otherwise, more than happy to see someone willing to perform public service without an agenda or a "payoff".

GG

Agree with GG above. The Sheriff could, using the terminology of olde "muster the Fyrd" i.e call up the yeomanry at arms to deal with a situation that threatens the safety of the People and the civil order of the body politick. They would be auxulliary deputies, trained as such, and anybody exibiting overt belligerence, racism, or the propensity to abuse authority would be rejected.
IIRC, Fyrdthegn has been one of the duties/honorifics attached to the office of Sheriff dating back to Anglo-Saxon England.

The squad would consist largely of U.S. military combat veterans, already a significant contingent of the group Davis formed in 2001, he said.

“They all have confirmed kills, from Vietnam or later on. They’re not wannabes who go out and buy a set of camos and go out in the woods with a rifle,” Davis said.

I am sure there are a few Scout/Sniper's teams in there that could shoot up a few water jugs or take out a couple vehicles and then a psychological factors would start to set in

Many police agencies use Citizen Observer Patrols to augment their force. I would have no problem with trained volunteers equipped with radios and GPS trackers acting as another set of eyes for the Border Patrol, but a "militia"?? Not a chance. A bunch of gun-toting, Rambo Jrs wandering around in the desert would turn into a nightmare rather quickly. Forget about the potential body count and lawsuits flying around, it'll probably only be a matter of hours before some of these yahoos get stranded somewhere in the desert prompting a large (and expensive) SAR operation.

I can see it now.....the darkness pierced by the TV camera crew's lights as Floyd, Earl, and Bubba emerge from the rescue helocopter shivering in blankets, dehydrated, and all their hard-earned "militia cred" gone down the drain......

As a land owner in a border state, my property is clearly marked and any individual on that property without my permission is guilty of criminal trespass. Report them turn them over to Border Patrol, sparse land with no water other than well/windmill. You take your life in your hands and I do not need a militia to defend my land, if border patrol is unwilling then the trespassers take their chances.

If you want this to work, there should be no "rules of engagement" except don't shoot locals. A real deterrent to illegals would be finding multiple rotting corpses along the border-some with notes in Spanish indicating the shooters are still on the job.

If you want this to work, there should be no "rules of engagement" except don't shoot locals. A real deterrent to illegals would be finding multiple rotting corpses along the border-some with notes in Spanish indicating the shooters are still on the job.

Does this include women and children?

Treo:213536 said:

Does this include women and children?
We wouldn't want to be gender and age biased. Goes against civil rights movement.

The militia is doing it all wrong. Simply get permission from private land owners to voluntarily patrol their land. Then it is not a public policy issue, it's simply private property and private action

From what I read in the story, they have been doing this for a while. Now they want to expand from just watching and calling the cops to being allowed to "act". This looks like it could be very bad,:unsure: but if done "right" I believe it could be a big help. I'm all for it long as they aren’t like the few militias I've seen. You know the type, wan-a-bees, with big egos and lots of big guns they barely know how to use.

Article 16 Section 1 - Composition of militia. The militia of the state of Arizona shall consist of all capable citizens of the state between the ages of eighteen and forty-five years, and of those between said ages who shall have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, residing therein, subject to such exemptions as now exist, or as may hereafter be created, by the laws of the United States or of this state.

Article 16 Section 2 - Composition and designation of organized militia The organized militia shall be designated "The National Guard of Arizona," and shall consist of such organized military bodies as now exist under the laws of the territory of Arizona or as may hereafter be authorized by law.

Article 4 Part 2 Section 4 - Disqualification for membership in Legislature
No person holding any public office of profit or trust under the authority of the United States, or of this state, shall be a member of the legislature; Provided, that appointments in the state militia and the offices of notary public, justice of the peace, United States commissioner, and postmaster of the fourth class, shall not work disqualification for membership within the meaning of this section.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back