awb ban gone where's the ammo?

beachbum17

I know the govt ordered 1.6 billion rounds and federal is backordered until 2015, but when are people going to stop buying every round on the shelf of popular calibers.

My guess is 8 months

I don't think it'll be that long. Judging from the last time this happened in 08 I'd say mid summer it should be more or less back to normal. That's assuming none of this new legislation passes.

Also you are assuming the ammunition maufacturers increased their production in response to the increased demand. We do not know this is happening, and since the government has thrown significant uncertainty into the process, the resupply may be slower than one would expect.

Also, components (Brass, Powder, Bullets, and Primers) will probably lag behind complete cartridges.

Just my $0.02 (but it is only worth $0.01 now days).

My like the insight gentlemen. Reloading supply has been consistent everyone just keeps buying it up.
If it where by some miracle to have it come back by summer I feel like your will still be limited to 5 boxes on store

Most cases of scarcaity are manufactured for the benifit of the people in control. For example, the affordable care act gained popularity with the not so well informed about how markets work, especially free markets and now we have a system that creates artificial scarcity driving up prices because when you are forced to buy from certain providers they now have a monopoly and they can charge whatever they want with the added bonus of dwindling customer service. I think the 1.6 billion bullet purchase orders from the government to ammo manufacturers is instramental in creating scarcity. The fact that a lot of people are buying more ammo than they normally would is also adding to the scarcity/high prices. I have also heard a rumor that there are government POs out there for non police/military caliburs.... can anyone confirm this or shoot down with any facts? Hopefully people begin to get their personal stock levels to the point they are comfortable with soon so the prices and availability return back to a somewhat norm. I'll bet most people on this forum probably have a nice nest egg of ammo in case of times like these already but it never hurts to pick up a couple of boxes of ammo here and there.

Thats a good question but I have no answer. All I know is I can't find range type 9mm .45acp or 5.45x39 anywhere. In my city or on line.

Probably mid-to-late summer we will start seeing some ammo, but the prices will remain high until people stop buying it, which will force the companies to lower it. This has been going on for months now and .223 is still more than a dollar per round...

Thats a good question but I have no answer. All I know is I can't find range type 9mm .45acp or 5.45x39 anywhere. In my city or on line.
hey,

slick guns:
Link Removed
which is still available. Russian. $190/1080rds. They don't state whether the berdan primers are corrosive or non...

Link Removed
i believe this is still available... $11/30 rds, non-corrosive, Wolf.

As for 9mm and 45- check Armslist for trades. I just made a face-to-face trade for 1500 rds of winchester 9mm on there (here's to more range time for me & all my family and gfs!). one of many and all successful transactions on there. Good luck!

I think it will be at least 9 months before there's even a chance of getting back to normal. I expect seasoned gun owners, including myself, will be doubling or tripling their usual stockpiles as this shortage was worse than I've ever seen. Also, a lot of guns have been purchased during this ammo shortage and people haven't had a chance to build up stockpiles for them yet.

It could be much longer than 9 months if any more legislation is introduced, like in my state of Nevada, that proposes "per round" ammo taxes.

Im with you Darrell, Here in Elko County we will be fighting the same issues. Ive sent off letters and emails to our reps in Carson City. Cant wait until I can go to the store to pick up ammo. If NV wants to tax it, I will purchase elsewhere. My in-laws live up in Idaho, I make trips frequently throughout the year. My big purchases when ammo becomes available again will be .308 and .40. The hunting rifles...... well I will have to pick those up as I can. Something about the ammo being expensive to begin with.

visited a freind in fla. went to a local gun shop there and got a box of .22mag. fair price.
went to another gun shop. the owner said yes we have em but they are high, due to the shortage. then asked me which brand i wanted. he said he had all the major brands but,
they were 22 dolars a box of 50. couldnt help but wonder if they were in short supply, how he managed to have several name brands?
ive been getting .22mags all along but in a spotty fashion. anywhere from 9 dollars to 12 dolars. PASS

I'd say 3 months or so. Once word gets around the they gave up on the AWB, most will calm down. Ammo has already started dropping in price around me. And thanks to box limits I was able to stock up during all this mess.

visited a freind in fla. went to a local gun shop there and got a box of .22mag. fair price.
went to another gun shop. the owner said yes we have em but they are high, due to the shortage. then asked me which brand i wanted. he said he had all the major brands but,
they were 22 dolars a box of 50. couldnt help but wonder if they were in short supply, how he managed to have several name brands?
ive been getting .22mags all along but in a spotty fashion. anywhere from 9 dollars to 12 dolars. PASS
He has been getting them by paying top price for them. And then passing on the costs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back