ATF fee question

Talon66

Hello, I am considering purchasing a .308 rifle (DPMS LR-308 or equivalent). I have a question about the $200 "transfer fee". If I purchase from a retailer, is the fee included, and is there any special paperwork needed above what you would fill out for a handgun purchase?

thanks in advance!!

Transfer fees are not ATF mandated, they are fees dealers choose to charge customers to receive a firearm from another dealer. Some charge a flat fee, others base their fee on the price of the firearm being transferred. $200 sounds pretty steep to me. If you're having this rifle transferred from another dealer I'd call around and see if there's another FFL holder who will do the transfer for less. If you purchase the rifle from a dealer who has it in stock there should be no additional fee. And the paperwork should be the same form 4473 background check form you fill out for standard firearm purchases. Hope that helps some.

Moms correct. Unless the rifle either comes with a suppressor or a barrel less then 16" you should not have to pay any ATF tax stamp fees. If the dealer is charging you $200 just to transfer it find another dealer!

$200 for a transfer fee seems outrageous. The most I've ever paid for a transfer fee is $45. Also, the receiving dealer never asks me how much I paid for the firearm. All they ever ask is if I got a good deal on it.

$200 transfer fee?! WTF?!
KimberPB is right.A federal tax is only applicable for class 3 weapons(i.e.suppressed,full auto,short barrel).A transfer fee should NEVER be that high.I only charge $15.Either there is some confusion,or somebody is trying to rip you off.

$200 transfer fee?! WTF?!
KimberPB is right.A federal tax is only applicable for class 3 weapons(i.e.suppressed,full auto,short barrel).A transfer fee should NEVER be that high.I only charge $15.Either there is some confusion,or somebody is trying to rip you off.

My vote is for him being ripped off.

ATF fee

I used to have a friend who is a Class III FFL holder, and a $200 transfer fee is the only ATF fee I know of, and that is to transfer a full-auto weapon, a suppressor, or other NFA weapon. If this is the fee the gunsmith is charging you to accept shipment of a firearm, find another dealer, quick! Can you say rip-off? I knew you could.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments.... I did learn that the transfer fee is not the same as the $200 tax that is required for a Class III weapon/accessory. My bad....!1 :redface:

I ended up buying a Rock River Arms 5.56mm Entry Tactical w/Harris bipod. Had it at the range several times so far - now I have BRD!!

Did you end up purchasing the gun from a retailer in your home state, or did you have it transferred from an out of state dealer? If so, how much did you end up paying for the transfer fee? If it was $200, I'm gonna kick your a**!

This is slightly off-topic, but not far off. When I was working in the jail substation in Casa Grande, AZ, a DPS officer brought in three illegals a couple of hours before I came on duty. Part of my job was inventorying the inmate accounts and property locker. In the plastic bags for the three illegals were three cheap .38 spl snubbies, with sequential serial numbers. In the wallets of the three, which held no other paperwork or ID, each one had a receipt from a pawn shop for one of hte three guns. Knowing that law prohibits selling to anyone not a citizen of the state, I called one of the detectives and filled him in on my discovery. Within a half hour, he showed up at the jail with an ATF agent in tow. They confiscated the pistols and left. That was the last I heard officially, but I did hear later that the ATF shut down the pawn shop for many illegal gun sales. I never did figure out why the arresting officer and the jail officer on the previous shift both missed the implications of illegal aliens buying guns with no ID, no proof of citizenship, and without the waiting period.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back