arrested for open carrying

Raider-3

A guy in Thornton was arrested on suspision of possessing a deadly weapon reported by the Denver post. He opened carried in a movie theater

I agree with him exercising his rights..but in recent events most likely wasn't the best idea to openly carry in a movie theater. I'm glad that the spokes person agrees and it may not go any further.

I think he could have been a little more tactful, especially since he had a ccw. I do however disagree with him being arrested for exercising his rights...

He also stated he had a concealed carry permit that was issued in 2003. I agree whole heartedly with open carry but after the curcumstances of the Aurora incident and the elevated fears of the unarmed public wouldn't have been easier to just gone concealed? No one would have known or needed to know. Still just as safe as open carry. Why make the scene?

Another thread was all ready started by deserteagle about this...

If he was legal in Denver then he was right, period.

I'm saddened that so many would rather see only criminals getting attention in the news and not law abiding citizens.

Sec. 38-241. - Prohibition on the open carrying of firearms.

The City of Thornton hereby prohibits the open carrying of a firearm, as defined in Section 38-237 of the Code, in any city building or in or upon any city property including but not limited to parks, open spaces or trails that exist within the City of Thornton and that have a sign posted at the entrance to any city building or city property informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in such building or area.

Looks legal to me.

The city of Thornton can restrict open carry only on city owned property. They can't legally restrict open carry anywhere else.

The city of Thornton can restrict open carry only on city owned property. They can't legally restrict open carry anywhere else.

Also state law mandates that signs have to be posted at every entrance to the public area where open carry is to be restricted.

He also stated he had a concealed carry permit that was issued in 2003. I agree whole heartedly with open carry but after the curcumstances of the Aurora incident and the elevated fears of the unarmed public wouldn't have been easier to just gone concealed?

The permit issued in 2003 expired in 2008, so his only legal way to carry is openly

A lot of officers don't know the law when in regards to open carry. It's not an excuse but they don't teach it in the academy. Most officers think just because someone is carrying, that gives you the right to detain and question them which is wrong. They need to do something about this open carry stuff. They need to start teaching these officers about the law if they are responsible for upholding and enforcing it.

If there was no sign at the entrances to the theater stating that no guns were allowed, then he had every right to open carry, but really wasn't thinking about how others might react after the Aurora shooting. Not very bright...

If there was no sign at the entrances to the theater stating that no guns were allowed, then he had every right to open carry, but really wasn't thinking about how others might react after the Aurora shooting. Not very bright...

First, why should he worry about how others might feel? Second, what does the Aurora theater shooting have anything to do with it? There is a big difference between carrying a firearm and shooting up a theater.

To use my favorite analogy....Say your neighbors kid was hit by a car and died. Would you stop driving your car because of how he might feel about cars now?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back