ARE 9mm HI POINT CARBINES ANY GOOD ?

indyyy

I've recently started looking at rifles that will shoot the same caliber as one of my handguns. Are the Hi Point 9mm carbines that sell for $225 - $350 any good? Is the Beretta that sells for about $550 a LOT better quality? What other brands / models do you like ?

Are they too high powered to use for Home Defense and, if not, would the same hollow point ammo I use in my handgun be the best choice for the rifle?

Thanks for any input you choose to offer!

I had one, a blast to shoot, never had a hiccup or anything, ate everything I fed it. They have a 100% lifetime warranty . cons: small mag capacity and butt ugly. They shoot hollow point just as well as fmj

They are quiet and shoot well. The only bad point is the trigger, Hard hard trigger.
You can "Make your own higher capacity mags" (Check YouTube) that won't void the warranty.

I had a 995ts a couple years ago. I ended up selling it to fund another purchase. I regretted doing that. It was a FUN gun, deadly accurate at 75' with a cheap red dot on it. Never had one issue with it. Yes, they are heavy AND butt ugly. But for the money, American made, 100% no questions asked warranty, there's no way you can go wrong.
Couple weeks ago. I decided to replace the carbine, & get the JHP too. Both are in 45 ACP & work great. I got both for just over $400. I have guns that cost more than double that. It is what it is, but if you're on a tight budget, go for it. They are dependable.

OP, if you're on a budget then a Hi-Point carbine will serve you very well. I don't own one but have fired several and they have proved to be very accurate and reliable, even with crap ammo. The Kel-Tec Sub 2000 is a pretty good option too and accepts standard mags from the likes of the Glock 17 and Beretta 92, which is an advantage over the Hi-Point. The Beretta Storm is a nice weapon but, not necessarily leaps and bounds better than the other two, especially given the price points.

I had a 995ts for a couple of years and enjoyed shooting it. 100% reliable. Extremely accurate. Zero problems. Only two negatives: First, I found it to be on the slightly heavy side for it's size. Second, the stock tended to bite me on the cheek when I fired it (Not sure if anyone else had that problem). Both were minor issues to me and didn't interfere with me enjoying shooting it.

Maintenance is a bit more intensive on the HPs than say on the Beretta but they shoot well and are a good value for the money.

The Kel-Tec Sub 2000 is a pretty good option too and accepts standard mags from the likes of the Glock 17 and Beretta 92, which is an advantage over the Hi-Point. The Beretta Storm is a nice weapon but, not necessarily leaps and bounds better than the other two, especially given the price points.

Maintenance is a bit more intensive on the HPs than say on the Beretta but they shoot well and are a good value for the money.

Cheaper than dirt has a Beretta storm for $518 and, from what I can find googling the KelTec sub 2000 is experiencing a shortage supply and hard to find. I like that the Beretta comes with 17 rd mag and a 30 rd mag can be bought. The article I read said 9mm KelTec sub 2000 are selling for over $500 now and have accessories I would probably want to buy that come standard with other carbines. I could buy right now, but will probably reseach and look at different models for a couple months. All suggestions and recommendations on 9mm rifles in the $200 to $500 or so range are appreciated - Thanks!

It all depends on when it was made. Some of them were dogs while others ran perfect from the start. Same applied to the .40S&W version. But for a 9mm carbine, I'll stick with my Colt AR-15 9mm Carbine. Or one of the M1 Carbines in .30Carbine.

Cheaper than dirt has a Beretta storm for $518 and, from what I can find googling the KelTec sub 2000 is experiencing a shortage supply and hard to find. I like that the Beretta comes with 17 rd mag and a 30 rd mag can be bought. The article I read said 9mm KelTec sub 2000 are selling for over $500 now and have accessories I would probably want to buy that come standard with other carbines. I could buy right now, but will probably reseach and look at different models for a couple months. All suggestions and recommendations on 9mm rifles in the $200 to $500 or so range are appreciated - Thanks!

The Sub2K also accepts 33 round mags with the Glock 17 model, and it has the added advantage of folding. It will fit in a backpack or briefcase. They are hard to find, but the used market is always pretty active with 'em. For ~$450 - ~$550 you can get one decked out with add-on rails, optics, flash-hider etc., but they shoot well right out of the box.

Stock:
SUB2000.gif

Or in briefcase kit form:
cased2.jpg

Kel-Tec and High Point both get pretty bad raps. In my experience, they're undeserved, but I've only had three KT's and never owned a HP, but fired several of a friend's (he collects them....LOL). I've read of lemons, and I don't discount what I've read, I've just not had any problems with the KT's I've had.

They also both have a good warranty, so you don't have to worry about getting stuck with a lemon.

In a 9mm rifle platform, I'd go with the KT simply because of the folding stock and extended capacity mag capability, but I wouldn't knock ya for goin' with any of the ones you've mentioned.

Blues

Take a look at Ballistics by the Inch | 9mm to find some info on the impact of barrel length on bullet speed

I"m just beginning to understand ballistics - I suppose if using the rifle for HD, the heavier ammo would be best 147 grain with 16 inch barrel = 1073 fps, with 4 inch barrel = 951 fps.
So this weight might be best HD ammo for the rifle, but maybe a bit heavy for the pistol ?

Own the KT sub 2000 in 9mm Glock - all around fun to shoot and with some break-in time, performs reliably. I carry it in a lap-top bag - it conceals easily.

Don't own a Hi-Point 9mm carbine, but have fired one. It was heavy, but accurate and reliable.

I have been wanting a KT Sub 2000 as well. Just can't find one that uses Glock mags around here, I did purchase a TNW ASR 9MM (Aero Survival Rifle) which uses glock mags several months ago. I haven't shot it a lot but so far no issues. Lots of fun with the 33 round mags. The trigger is not the best though but I think I can get used to it. The barrel comes off very easily and quickly for compact storage if one chooses. I still like the way the KT folds up though. Picked up the TNW at the LGS for about $550.00.

I"m just beginning to understand ballistics - I suppose if using the rifle for HD, the heavier ammo would be best 147 grain with 16 inch barrel = 1073 fps, with 4 inch barrel = 951 fps.
So this weight might be best HD ammo for the rifle, but maybe a bit heavy for the pistol ?

Take a look at Link Removed and Pocket Guns and Gear: Federal HST 9mm +P 124 Grain - A Pet Load. I personally would go with a 147 grain HST or Gold Dot, mostly because it is still subsonic. However, I am already using 147 grain HST in my 9mm pistols, so I am biased.

Yes indeed. I got one as a Mother's Day present. :) They are ugly as sin, heavy, and inexpensive. They have more recoil than some other carbines of the same type, but not too much for this old lady. They can be quite accurate, just need to be "tuned" like any other gun. Magazines are not first class, but adequate if you keep them clean and lubed.

As a basic home defense gun, they do a great job. Not safe queens, but they do what is needed reliably... throw lead down range.

They are great little guns and a hoot to shoot. I have one, wife has one, and daughter has one. Put a cheap red dot on it and zero it for a hundred yards...yep it can be done. My daughter was inside a dinner plate all day long at 100 yards with a barska red dot. It is fun to do target acquisition drills with it as well. I have the 4095 and the 995. The 995 does have less recoil. You can get 15 round mags for it. Just shoot it like you stole it.

The only truly negative thing about the Hi Point Carbines is the low capacity mags. I purchased my fist almost two years ago in 40S&W and have since added the 9mm and 45ACP. The odd thing about all the PCC I have shot is they sometimes sting your cheek I am not 100% sure why that happens.
For the money you really cannot go wrong with the Hi Points grab a pistol as well and you have a very nice pair of fire arms for less than the cost of most other firearms by themselves (keep in mind with the 9mm the carbine mags will work in the C9 but the C9 mags will not work in the 995TS)

VERY GOOD! Fun to shoot and a lifetime, no questions asked warranty.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back