AR-15 guestions

Ok Nicholas first of all......... do not take what I say as law... I will not serve your jail time so verify verify verify.

I just wanted to say that because I do not live in Maryland and i do not have to deal with their crap so the best i can do is read other peoples "facts". If you want to know Utah law let me know.

Anyway what I found on the internet says that an AR15 with a bull barrel, specifically the Colt HBAR is not a regulated AR15 and does not need to be regulated/registered when you buy it. Other ARs without the HBAR are legal if you legally bought it out of state and then moved to MD, but if as a Maryland resident you have to buy one from a FFL and it has to be registered with the state. Also you are limited to buying 20 round or less magazines. Thats my interpretation of your restrictions. If I were you I would talk to LGS's and people on the Maryland gun forms to verify. That being said it doesn't sound like your interpretation of the law is correct.

Anyway crap aside.
Very good points and there is a lot of information that I wasn't thinking about. With Maryland it depends if its pre or post which as it was described to me was if the piston is run by the gas tube or not, if so its in the regulated area where I need to have the 8 day wait period and only buy one in a 30 day period. I know I want the 5.56 round, I know I want the collapsible stock, I know I will be putting on a red dot sight on it but will want the option if that fails for whatever reason to have the original sights still there, and yes I want something that if a SHTF sort of thing happens I can stake my life on it. I'm thinking probably at the furthest sort of distance I would want for an AR would be about 100 maybe out to 150 yards, anything further I think I would probably want something much more of a long rifle/hunting rifle style. Outside of those things I hadn't thought of anything listed and didn't even know there were so many options, I knew the mil-spec option would make things better for the internals, well I should say I figured that part out

Based on what you said

Just make sure your barrel is chambered in 5.56, most are, then shoot the cheaper 223.

Gas systems, carbine is shorter system and has a sharper recoil impulse, mid length smoother impulse and more room on the rail for accessories, a rifle is the longest and the benefit is that with a longer sight radius your long distance iron sights shooting could be more accurate. I prefer the mid length.

For a collapsiblle stock, it is easy to swap out, just make sure the buffer tube is mil spec not commercial so you have more options. The magpul are nice, the ones with friction locks take the irritating wobble out of it.

Remember that mil spec means thats what the government wanted, it does not mean a finger came out of heaven and granted it eternal perfection. You can do better than mil spec, and you can definately do worse. The only real part that can make a real difference in the lower parts is the fire control group. I like the smoothness of the nickle boron coating.

If you get a flat top upper and railed foreend you can put as cheap or as expensive a red dot as you want.

Take a good look at Rock River. They are not 100% MilSpec but a lot of mil spec is just not needed or even better. 2 stage match triggers are not mil spec but they are much easier to shoot and a chrome lined barrel / chamber has its advantages but accuracy is not one of them. So far, 4K-5K rounds, mine has not had a single misfire or problem. Much of that shooting has been run and gun matches. Also with the correct ammo, I am getting about .75 MOA @ 200 yds.

Before picking out a configuration, think about the type of shooting you MAY be doing. Who knows, You might end up getting into 3Gun. Since you are talking about 150 yds or less, I would probably go with a 16" or 18" upper and a mid length gas system and at least a 1 in 9 twist. Do you want to run optics? If so, with an Aimpoint you will be able to use the standard front sight / gas block. If you want to use a scope, you will either have to have a low profile gas block or cut off the sight portion of the block. Are you going for TactiCool? If you want to hang a light, vertical grip, laser, bipod etc. you will want a quad rail. If you want it simple and clean, a plain free float tube would be a better option.

Basically, if you use the gun, you WILL end up wanting to change some things. That is the beauty / curse of the platform, so try to think ahead. It would not be a bad idea to get on brian enos web sight and look up your area. You will probably find that their is a club 3Gun match nearby. Even going as a spectator they will probably ask if you want to shoot and let you use their guns. That would be a great opportunity to see a lot of setups and.

Thank you everyone for the information. I can honestly say that there is a lot more on this then I was thinking on so many different levels. I just figured it was one a simple thing of "buy one of these five and your good" lol again thank you for all of this information and I shall be going through all of the pages to be reading

$2500 is crazy for your first AR, but I am not sure if a $700 one will last a lifetime. Based on my limited research it seems that right around $1000 is the sweet spot between affordable and reliable.
2500 is not unreasonable depending on what you get. The .204 I built was quite a bit more then that but the way it shoots it could have cost much more and still been worth it. Buying a AR is not brain surgery. First ask yourself what are you going to do with it? You looking for a 16 inch plinker or a 24 inch 600 yard comp gun? Then go to several shops and ranges and look touch and shoot every one you can get your hands on. Many folks at the range will let you fire a few shots and tell you all what they have done. Get your self a little notebook and write down the features you most want. Then either buy one close to those features and upgrade to exactly what you want or pay more for exactly what you want to start. I have a 700 dollar factory bushy ( bushmaster ) from when they where still made here in Maine light 16 pencil barrel that will make one ragged hole at 100 yards all day and not much worse at 200. The .204 I spoke of will shoot one hole groups at 100 yards. Listen to what people say here but in the end you have to buy what YOU like as if you build what someone here likes then your doing yourself a disservice. Of course you can always buy parts and if you do not want to build it yourself you can get a local smith to do that for you.

2500 is not unreasonable depending on what you get. The .204 I built was quite a bit more then that but the way it shoots it could have cost much more and still been worth it. Buying a AR is not brain surgery. First ask yourself what are you going to do with it? You looking for a 16 inch plinker or a 24 inch 600 yard comp gun? Then go to several shops and ranges and look touch and shoot every one you can get your hands on. Many folks at the range will let you fire a few shots and tell you all what they have done. Get your self a little notebook and write down the features you most want. Then either buy one close to those features and upgrade to exactly what you want or pay more for exactly what you want to start. I have a 700 dollar factory bushy ( bushmaster ) from when they where still made here in Maine light 16 pencil barrel that will make one ragged hole at 100 yards all day and not much worse at 200. The .204 I spoke of will shoot one hole groups at 100 yards. Listen to what people say here but in the end you have to buy what YOU like as if you build what someone here likes then your doing yourself a disservice. Of course you can always buy parts and if you do not want to build it yourself you can get a local smith to do that for you.

2500 had better include top of the line optics and a supermodel to carry it.

Listent to what people like if they can tell you the pros and cons of their decisions. A thought out decision will make you much happier with the outcome.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Piston Type Does NOT Matter in MD

Sadly no, the information I picked up was at the local gun shop called Atlanic Guns in Rockville. Though I'm sure the State police site might have info

AR Platforms are on the Assault Weapons List in MD. As such they are a "Regulated" firearm in the State of Maryland. The gas system does NOT matter. Even if you buy a Lower....stripped of parts you have to "Cool Off." I live in MD....and each stripped lower or AR I buy has to go through an FFL and requires the mandatory "Cooling Off" period. See MD State Police document below.

Maryland State Police
Assault Weapons
Maryland Public Safety Article
§ 5-101(p) Assault weapon.- "Assault weapon" means any of the following specific
firearms or their copies regardless of which company produced and manufactured that
firearm:
( 1 ) American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine
( 2 ) AK-47 in all forms
( 3 ) Algimec AGM-1 type semi-auto
( 4 ) AR 100 type semi-auto
( 5 ) AR 180 type semi-auto
( 6 ) Argentine L.S.R. semi-auto
( 7 ) Australian Automatic Arms SAR type semi-auto
( 8 ) Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi-automatics
( 9 ) Barrett light .50 cal. semi-auto
(10) Beretta AR70 type semi-auto
(11) Bushmaster semi-auto rifle
(12) Calico models M-100 and M-900
(13) CIS SR 88 type semi-auto
(14) Claridge HI TEC C-9 carbines
(15) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle
(16) Daewoo MAX 1 and MAX 2, aka AR 100, 110C, K-1, and K-2
(17) Dragunov Chinese made semi-auto
(18) Famas semi-auto (.223 caliber)
(19) Feather AT-9 semi-auto
(20) FN LAR and FN FAL assault rifle
(21) FNC semi-auto type carbine
(22) F.I.E./Franchi LAW 12 and SPAS 12 assault shotgun
(23) Steyr-AUG-SA semi-auto
(24) Galil models AR and ARM semi-auto
(25) Heckler and KOCH HK-91 A3, HK-93 A2, HK-94 A2 and A3
(26) Holmes model 88 shotgun
(27) Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format
(28) Manchester Arms "Commando" MK-45, MK-9
(29) Mandell TAC-1 semi-auto carbine
(30) Mossberg model 500 Bullpup assault shotgun
(31) Sterling Mark 6 (32) P.A.W.S. carbine
(33) Ruger mini-14 folding stock model (.223 caliber)
(34) SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber)
(35) SKS with detachable magazine
(36) AP-74 Commando type semi-auto
(37) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding
the M1 Garand
(38) Street sweeper assault type shotgun
(39) Striker 12 assault shotgun in all formats
(40) Unique F11 semi-auto type
(41) Daewoo USAS 12 semi-auto shotgun
(42) UZI 9mm carbine or rifle
(43) Valmet M-76 and M-78 semi-auto
(44) Weaver Arms "Nighthawk" semi-auto carbine or
(45) Wilkinson Arms 9mm semi-auto "Terry".
Direct questions to:
Maryland State Police
Firearms Registration Section
7751 Washington Boulevard
Jessup, Maryland 20794
(410) 799-0191

You are correct, I think I made my comment with out thinking this through completely. I was not even considering all the options and other calibers etc. That Bushmaster is gonna cost mere than 700 today tho...

Well then, very good information on that. I didn't even think to double check on the state police site, thank you very much.

2500 had better include top of the line optics and a supermodel to carry it. Listent to what people like if they can tell you the pros and cons of their decisions. A thought out decision will make you much happier with the outcome. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Optics included LOL... Noveske, LWRC, Knights, POF and even some Colt models go to 2500 and well beyond. Then again once you shoot a firearm like these you quickly see how worth it they are.

Short question on specific ones. Have a Mini-14 already. May get an AR. Multi-purpose, not hunting as have enough bolt actions.

One local shop checking out, will have options. One local shop already looked at has Sig and Bushmaster. Any owner comments? Sig M400, Bushmaster XM15 E2S optics ready or patrolman with carry handle.

Thanks.

I think they ought to change the name to "CR-15" just to confuse Feinstein. "It's not a military weapon... It's a 'civilian rifle.'"

why?

AR, contrary to popular belief, does not mean "Assault Rifle" it means "ARmalite" the orginal producer.

severe anti-gunners will not be cured by a name change, although C-15 might be a good name if you're not licensed by colt to use the term "AR-15"

I believe that "AR-15" is copyrighted, most manufactures have their own model number as it is.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back