AR-15 guestions

Nicholas A.

AR-15 questions

I recently got my first handgun and am looking at getting an AR-15, I can say I am extremely new to everything. Between the price range I've seen at my local gun shops of everything from about 700 all the way up to nearly 2,500 and all look good but I have no idea what the difference is between the various makers other then possibly name. So if you guys can point me in a direction or help me select an AR that will be everything I want.

There's a lot of choices when shopping for an AR. Many of the lower recievers are made by the same company & have a different brand rolled onto them. They are also mil spec, which means they'll be the same no matter what brand.

There's as many chioces for ARs are there are for your wife/gf when buying shoes. Do some research. Read some articles & books. Pre-ban & post ban may mean something in your state. Many, if not all, parts can be interchangable.

$2500 is crazy for your first AR, but I am not sure if a $700 one will last a lifetime. Based on my limited research it seems that right around $1000 is the sweet spot between affordable and reliable.

I know 2500 is well outside of my price range, and the 700-800's are the used ones in the shop for new they have so many. I've been looking at the Smith and Wesson as well as the colts mostly due to name brand which can mean something. I noticed one brand I never heard of which doesn't saw much since I dont know much about them, the brand is called DPMS or its DMPS I know its one of those lol.

I'm in the same boat here (except I own several handguns :)

There are so many choices for AR15's, that at least for me, it's overwhelming.

I'm looking for a few good choices, that I can pick from that.

Thanks in advance,

UD

A good way to get familiar with AR's is to buy the Guns & Ammo quarterly "The Book of AR 15". Sure it's full of ads, but it's a good way to see what's out there. I started by looking at the M & P 15 sport for about $700 and ended up buying a Rock River Elite at $1,000 delivered. Great gun-my wife bought one, too. The best advice I got was that if I buy a $700 AR I could easily spend $300 or more to bring it up to my expectations. For a grand I got most of what I want in the Rock River.

I have a DPMS it works great except for the gas block is shorter that the rear rail. You have to buy (a) a riser for a front site (b) buy some sort of optic or (c) get a model with an "A" frame front site that is affixed permanently with the gas block.

When purchasing an AR-15 be sure to know whether your state still has enacted an"Assault weapons ban" that's 1. Second, be sure to buy a mil-spec so when you want to change the furniture and upgrade the toys (and you will) all will be the same. Third, be sure to buy one chambered in 5.56x45 and not just .223 rem. The 5.56 is a higher pressure round and is the same dimensions as the .223, however, because of the increased pressure you can't shoot 5.56 out of a .223 barrel. Not sure if manufacturers make an AR in .223 but just some info. Look at the Bushmasters as well Colt and S&W are all good brands as well. Lastly you're going to be looking at whether you want to put optics on it or use iron sights. My suggestion is look at the A-3 models. They have the removable carry handles and the front sights, not gas blocks. This way you can still shoot it and enjoy it while you save up for your optic, as you will want to put something crazy on it like an ACOG or EOTec (at least I did)...

The first question you have to answer is..... What type of shooting do I want to do with this?

The reason there are so many choices is because there are so many applications the platform can be adapted too.

Are you looking for a plinker? Short range target shooting 15 -100yrds with a fun range gun. If so..a LOT brands will do the job for you...16" barrels with fixed sights and red-dots. Just about any AR made will work well in this scenario. (heavy bull barrels btw are NOT fun to plink with ...LOL) Think JOE AVERAGE SHOOTER.

Are you looking for a weapon to survive the Zombie Apocalypse? (metaphorically of course) then you are looking at chrome linings in the chamber and barrel for dumping LOTS of ammo down the barrel at high rates of fire. Battle proven fast aquistion optics (acog, trijicon, eotec, etc) heavy duty buffer springs, nickel boron bolts that can run hard with minimal wear (just to name a few options). Here reliability is paramount so you want to get quality ($$$) parts that will take a LOT of punishment. These are the guns that people buy when they "want to stake their life on it." Get used to that phrase...you will hear it a LOT. LOL. Usually from the guy next to you at the range. After eyeing up your notta Colt, LMT, BMC AR he'll say "Thats alright for a plinkers...but I wouldn't stake my life on it." Meanwhile he is shooting at stationary targets only 50 yards away and ...ummm.... missing them. LOL. My retort came when I hit all my targets at 3 times that distance and then said..."but you will stake your life on your crappy marksmanship?" LOL. Feel free to use that one anytime. LOL. Welcome to the AR Religious war....only bested by the AR vs AK/FN/FAL wars. Think WARRIOR

Are you looking to take out coyotes, woodchucks, prarrie dogs at long ranges? (200 - 600+ yards) Now you are into rifle length barrels 20+ inches...heavy bull barrels made from stainless steel and LOOOoong range optics. High twist rates 1:8, 1:7 for heavier bullets 65-77gr for long range energy retention vs the 1:9 standard for 50-62gr plinker rounds. Bipods for stability, adjustable stocks for customizing the fit to the shooter. Think SNIPER.

Then there are your WILDCAT's. The beauty of the AR platform is that it can be configured to shoot almost ANY caliber from .22 LR all the way up to .50CAL BMG. Yes...someone made a .50cal BMG upper for an AR Aluminum Lower.....believe it or not. So if you get bored with .223/5.56....you can always slap a new upper on and be shooting something different. For a little extra $$$ of course. I built one of each of these categories....I like variety.

So figure out what you want to do with it...and go from there....but most of all.....Have FUN!

JJ

Don't approach your first AR backwards, find the features you want them find a manufacturer that has what you want.

What gas system do you want, carbine, mid length or rifle, ...... do you know the difference?

Your gas system will effect your handguard/rail system. Do you want rails and do you want it free floated? Do you know the plus and minuses of a rail or free floating?

Do you want a carry handle or a flat top?

Have you looked into stock options?

Do you know the difference between chrome-moly barrels, chrome lined, stainless steel, and melonite treated? Which one fits what you want?

Are you happy with a stock trigger or a two stage or maybe a nickel boron coated trigger? Do you know the difference?

Are you serious about long range shooting or moa accuracy, if so what are your barrel options and what did the twist rate effect?

What can you upgraded yourself later versus what should you include when you first but the gun? What can you easily upgraded later and what is a PITA?

You decide how this conversation will go.... do you want to really discuss your options or do you just want to get random opinions. I am not the most educated when it comes to ARs, but I did my homework before buying my last rifle so I do know enough to have a real discussion.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Very good points and there is a lot of information that I wasn't thinking about. With Maryland it depends if its pre or post which as it was described to me was if the piston is run by the gas tube or not, if so its in the regulated area where I need to have the 8 day wait period and only buy one in a 30 day period. I know I want the 5.56 round, I know I want the collapsible stock, I know I will be putting on a red dot sight on it but will want the option if that fails for whatever reason to have the original sights still there, and yes I want something that if a SHTF sort of thing happens I can stake my life on it. I'm thinking probably at the furthest sort of distance I would want for an AR would be about 100 maybe out to 150 yards, anything further I think I would probably want something much more of a long rifle/hunting rifle style. Outside of those things I hadn't thought of anything listed and didn't even know there were so many options, I knew the mil-spec option would make things better for the internals, well I should say I figured that part out

Very good points and there is a lot of information that I wasn't thinking about. With Maryland it depends if its pre or post which as it was described to me was if the piston is run by the gas tube or not, if so its in the regulated area where I need to have the 8 day wait period and only buy one in a 30 day period. I know I want the 5.56 round, I know I want the collapsible stock, I know I will be putting on a red dot sight on it but will want the option if that fails for whatever reason to have the original sights still there, and yes I want something that if a SHTF sort of thing happens I can stake my life on it. I'm thinking probably at the furthest sort of distance I would want for an AR would be about 100 maybe out to 150 yards, anything further I think I would probably want something much more of a long rifle/hunting rifle style. Outside of those things I hadn't thought of anything listed and didn't even know there were so many options, I knew the mil-spec option would make things better for the internals, well I should say I figured that part out

Do you have a website that explains Maryland restrictions on ARs?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Sadly no, the information I picked up was at the local gun shop called Atlanic Guns in Rockville. Though I'm sure the State police site might have info

I can't believe no one has mentioned AR15.Com - Your Firearm Resource. (AR-15, AR-10, M4 Carbine, M16, H&K, SIG, FNH, FAL, AK-47, 50 Cal, M1/M1A, Handgun, Pistol, Training, Hunting, and More!) yet. If you're looking to learn about ARs, that's the place to go. I just built my first AR, before I visited ar15.com I didn't even know that was an option. I started out wanting to build an AR on a budget but after doing more research I decided I wanted a piston system, that added to the cost but I still built it for less than a comparable piston AR would have cost, and I tricked it out with the accessories I wanted at the same time.

When purchasing an AR-15 be sure to know whether your state still has enacted an"Assault weapons ban" that's 1. Second, be sure to buy a mil-spec so when you want to change the furniture and upgrade the toys (and you will) all will be the same. Third, be sure to buy one chambered in 5.56x45 and not just .223 rem. The 5.56 is a higher pressure round and is the same dimensions as the .223, however, because of the increased pressure you can't shoot 5.56 out of a .223 barrel. Not sure if manufacturers make an AR in .223 but just some info. Look at the Bushmasters as well Colt and S&W are all good brands as well. Lastly you're going to be looking at whether you want to put optics on it or use iron sights. My suggestion is look at the A-3 models. They have the removable carry handles and the front sights, not gas blocks. This way you can still shoot it and enjoy it while you save up for your optic, as you will want to put something crazy on it like an ACOG or EOTec (at least I did)...

Sort of correct, it has to do more with the chamber and not the barrel. In a 5.56 you are able to use .223 not so the other way around. Some people get away with shooting true 5.56 in a .223 chamber but are pushing their luck. You can buy a specialized reamer that does not take out too much metal in unecessary areas to ream any .223 to be able to feed 5.56. It is better explained in the following link (4 pages of reading but you will learn a thing or two). One thing I recommend is getting the 1:7 barrel instead of the 1:9. Even the 1:8 is better than 1:9. Essentially, with a degree of variations and exceptions, 1:7 will stabilize 55 grain to 75 grain bullets. The 1:9 will usually tumble the heavier bullets making the 55 grain bullet the ideal for 1:9. Of course there are exceptions.

.223 vs 5.56: An Exhaustive Comparison

I've never had So much Fun learning ;)

Sort of correct, it has to do more with the chamber and not the barrel. In a 5.56 you are able to use .223 not so the other way around. Some people get away with shooting true 5.56 in a .223 chamber but are pushing their luck. You can buy a specialized reamer that does not take out too much metal in unecessary areas to ream any .223 to be able to feed 5.56. It is better explained in the following link (4 pages of reading but you will learn a thing or two). One thing I recommend is getting the 1:7 barrel instead of the 1:9. Even the 1:8 is better than 1:9. Essentially, with a degree of variations and exceptions, 1:7 will stabilize 55 grain to 75 grain bullets. The 1:9 will usually tumble the heavier bullets making the 55 grain bullet the ideal for 1:9. Of course there are exceptions.

.223 vs 5.56: An Exhaustive Comparison

I've never had So much Fun learning ;)

Yes you are correct it is chamber. I didn't want to get into too many technicalities seeing as its his first AR. A 5.56 stamped barrel is easier to ID when making your first purchase. But then again the whole AR thing is an addiction... I've changed my AR up about 7 times so far.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back