Ar 15 carry

Can I carry my ar 15 rifle in my truck/car with me here in Pa. And yes it will be loaded i dont believe in carrying unloaded firearms.Please only answer if you know or have experience with law enforcement while doing so I don't need the know it all statements from couch carriers lol

You will only get officer opinion which is not any better than couch carriers. Look up the laws on your state website.

Don't accept an answer unless they can show you the statute that's backs up their opinion.

I been trying to find the laws the stuff I've been finding so far have been confusing to me that's why I went here just to see if somebody has experience with this situation

From our very own website, usacarry.com.

A handgun being transported in a vehicle without a license to carry must be unloaded and must be carried under one of the exceptions listed above under ‘Carry.’ Rifles and shotguns may be transported in a vehicle as long as they are unloaded.
Pennsylvania Concealed Carry Permit Information

Looks like the previous thread is a link to the PA Uniform Firearm act. That sounds like something you might want to peruse.

I would look this up as mentioned above. FWIW my understanding that it is against the game laws to carry a loaded long gun in order to prevent poaching. I'm not planning on carrying a long gun so I haven't bothered to do the research myself.

Title 18

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

§6109. Licenses.

(a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.

Link Removed

Get a permit.

Title 18

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

§6109. Licenses.

(a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.

Link Removed

Get a permit.

:sigh: An AR-15 is not a "firearm" as defined within the PA Uniform Firearms act. You should keep reading. Most people (not cops) are prohibited from transporting a loaded rifle, long gun, shotgun, etc., even if licensed.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106.1. Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms.
(a) General rule.--Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a loaded
pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to
definitions), in any vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the
requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms
not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit
persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.
(b) Penalty.--A person who violates the provisions of this section commits a summary offense.
(Dec. 7, 1989, P.L.607, No.68, eff. 60 days; June 13, 1995, 1st
Sp.Sess., P.L.1024, No.17, eff. 120 days)
Source: The Pennsylvania General Assembly

The PA UFA defines a firearm:

18 Pa. C.S. § 6102. Definitions.
Subject to additional definitions contained in subsequent provisions of this subchapter which are
applicable to specific provisions of this subchapter, the following words and phrases, when used in
this subchapter shall have, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the meanings given to them
in this section:

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel

length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver,

rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall
be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or
cylinder, whichever is applicable.

(Dec. 19, 1988, P.L.1275, No.158, eff. 180 days; June 13, 1995, 1st Sp.Sess., P.L.1024, No.17, eff.
120 days; Nov. 22, 1995, P.L.621, No.66, eff. imd.; Nov. 10, 2005, P.L.335, No.66, eff.180 days;
June 28, 2011, P.L.48, No.10, eff. 60 days) 2011 Amendment. Act 10 amended the def. of
"loaded." See
the preamble to Act 10 in the appendix to this title for special provisions relating to legislative
findings. 2005 Amendment. Act 66 added the defs. of "Commonwealth Photo Imaging Network,"
"Pennsylvania Sheriffs' Association," "safekeeping permit" and "state." 1995 Amendment. Act 66
added the defs. of "law enforcement officer" and "loaded." Cross References. Section 6102 is
referred to in sections
Source: The Pennsylvania General Assembly

Ok ... apparently people cannot read the law. The above stated law is correct, but the statement before it is incorrect. You can legally have and carry a loaded firearm (meaning a rifle revolver or handgun with the barrel length of 15 inches or less and that the overall length of the rifle is less than 26 inches) in your vehicle as long as u have a concealed carry license. The person who posted above must not know u can buy ars with a variety of barrel lengths. So if ur ars barrel length is 15 inch or less and the over all length is less than 26 inches ur good. The barrel length includes flash hiders, suppressors and any barrel attachment. And total length includes butt stock fully extended. If your barrel is less than 16 inches make sure u check PAs short barreled rifle laws.

Ok ... apparently people cannot read the law. The above stated law is correct, but the statement before it is incorrect. You can legally have and carry a loaded firearm (meaning a rifle revolver or handgun with the barrel length of 15 inches or less and that the overall length of the rifle is less than 26 inches) in your vehicle as long as u have a concealed carry license. The person who posted above must not know u can buy ars with a variety of barrel lengths. So if ur ars barrel length is 15 inch or less and the over all length is less than 26 inches ur good. The barrel length includes flash hiders, suppressors and any barrel attachment. And total length includes butt stock fully extended. If your barrel is less than 16 inches make sure u check PAs short barreled rifle laws.

Or maybe I do know all that. The OP was about (I thought) "an ar 15 rifle", not an SBR, and my response was within
the context of an ar-15 (or even the M4-type) having a barrel of at least 16" without the OP mentioning any modifiers
to the contrary.

My primary concern was preventing him from committing a misdemeanor while thinking he was legal. Prudence and all that.
Despite the snark your post does raise a good point, and only the OP could specify which he is referring to.
So OP, which is it?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back